• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ottavino 3/27 to Yankees

Dtwncbad

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

Doc, with respect, i know what is being done.  
As a fan, the assertion that it is not worth it to have a better shot to make the playoffs in any fashion, is simply the worst possible thing you could say to me while trying to convince me to buy tickets and merchandise. 
We all know anything can happen once you get there, but you have to get there. 
No, we dont know what they might do if they felt they had a chance to win the division... even more we have no idea when that might be or who might be available when that time comes.  If they are waiting for that, plus a top 5 farm, before acting were gonna be waiting a good long while for that kind of guarantee.

that's why they're not actually saying it with words.  but their actions are telling us.  

nothing is a guarantee.  

anything can happen once you get there but spending 30m to increase your odds of playing potentially only one more game is clearly not something they're willing to risk.  

they've matched their odds increase with their spending.  For all we know, they may have actually spent more than what they consider to be worth it.  Each player brings the paper win total somewhere.  They were obviously willing to spend on Britton yet haven't allocated that money elsewhere as of yet.  They may or they may not.  Probably because his presence was as much about what he could continue to bring in 2021/22.  

and I'm betting that's the thought process right now.   

3 hours ago, floplag said:

This is hilarious coming form the guy that went out of his way to post cartman and other such things in numerous threads.
Honestly i dont know why opposing opinions seem to vex you so, but im beyond caring at this point.
Call me what you will. post cartman all you want, i really dont give a rats ass any more

Yes...  Yes...    BTW... I don't have any problem with other opinions, opinions aren't the issue here.  Stop trying to pretend you've been attacked.

You don't care.. 
You have also never played the victim(so you've claimed),
....and I've never schooled you on anything.   ....Meanwhile in the real world...

I take it since you can't dispute the the baseball commentary and made no effort to engage on that level we we are done...   Try not to enter into debates you can't hold your own in, it will save us both a lot of time.

Edited by Inside Pitch

4 hours ago, Glen said:

I recall somebody posting the results of recent trades involving superstars and a boatload of blue-chip prospects. The results were dismal for the team trading the superstar. Very few of the prospects made any sort of impact.

Nobody suggest trading Trout if he is willing to sign with the Angel's.   The premise is trading Trout if he refuses to sign an extension.  Yes we will get a boatload of prospects.  However the choice would be a boatload of prospects that may never pan out or a single compensation pick that may never pan out 

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

what the hell is with all of this prospects talk? if Trout were to be traded, you really think we wouldn't demand any major leaguers in return? 

I just mentioned this in another thread, but I think if Trout doesn't stay it's because everything went wrong in the current plan and none (or almost none) of our current prospects panned out by 2020 AND the FA's we chose sucked.  

So if he's traded at all, it will be at the 2020 deadline where all that Eppler has done is a failure.  Which means you take as much value as you can get in any form that you can get it.  Since you're likely trading Trout to a contender at that point, it would likely be in the form of prospects as any major leaguers would be contributing to the major league club. 

Honestly, by that point, the Phills won't have the prospect scratch to pull that off.  It would likely be a team such as Atlanta or the Padres.  Or someone unknown at this point. 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

that's why they're not actually saying it with words.  but their actions are telling us.  

nothing is a guarantee.  

anything can happen once you get there but spending 30m to increase your odds of playing potentially only one more game is clearly not something they're willing to risk.  

they've matched their odds increase with their spending.  For all we know, they may have actually spent more than what they consider to be worth it.  Each player brings the paper win total somewhere.  They were obviously willing to spend on Britton yet haven't allocated that money elsewhere as of yet.  They may or they may not.  Probably because his presence was as much about what he could continue to bring in 2021/22.  

and I'm betting that's the thought process right now.   

Im not sure if they are feeling like now is not the best time to invest $$$ into the team or if they just don't like the prices being tossed around. My guy tells me it's the latter. Obviously Eppler doesn't have much of a track record with FAs but in general the Angels have tended towards an annual budget where funds are spent seemingly no matter what. It would be great if we learned that money saved this offseason might be used in another, but I am skeptical.

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Im not sure if they are feeling like now is not the best time to invest $$$ into the team or if they just don't like the prices being tossed around. My guy tells me it's the latter. Obviously Eppler doesn't have much of a track record with FAs but in general the Angels have tended towards an annual budget where funds are spent seemingly no matter what. It would be great if we learned that money saved this offseason might be used in another, but I am skeptical.

I think you've got to stick to your numbers when you're still building.  When you've started to open a window then you get a little more aggressive to get the player you want at the spot you want even if you feel like it's an overpay by a bit.  I don't think we'll see the halos push above the tax and be in the 200m+ range, but an extra 10-20m to finish your job seems feasible.  

like maybe you go the extra year for a guy instead of picking the lesser player on a short deal.  

So it might not be the elevation of payroll in any particular year but a greater long term commitment.  

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This was the guy I really wanted. Ugh. 

I don't think Eppler is even trying anymore. 

He can save face if he extends Trout and make a couple more decent moves to improve the team though. 

Well first of all I think he would prefer to stock the bullpen and the Minors with live arms and see where we are at the Trade Deadline. By then you will know who is having a good season on not only our roster but on other rosters. It will allow him to go out on the market, if we are in contention, and grab a guy who is performing well on a rental basis to help the team.

Also there are still some really interesting arms out there in free agency. I am a big proponent of Justin Wilson I think he can be a Zach Britton lite type of guy. Shawn Kelly had a really good year last season and is available. There are a couple of others that Eppler will prefer to pick up at a bargain price.

16 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

3 year deals on a 33 year old reliever...since 2016, when Eppler took over, how many of these deals has he done?

Answer, from what I can tell, is zero.

Why do you guys keep hyping yourselves up, when there is no indication of any interest, just to let yourself down?

Eppler doesn't make these moves.

Could he at some point?  Maybe when they are a legit division contending team.  Right now, though, doesn't make sense...especially when he constructed a decent BP last season from waiver wire pick-ups and minor league free agents.

Wait, our bullpen was decent last year?