• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ottavino 3/27 to Yankees

Dtwncbad

3 year deals on a 33 year old reliever...since 2016, when Eppler took over, how many of these deals has he done?

Answer, from what I can tell, is zero.

Why do you guys keep hyping yourselves up, when there is no indication of any interest, just to let yourself down?

Eppler doesn't make these moves.

Could he at some point?  Maybe when they are a legit division contending team.  Right now, though, doesn't make sense...especially when he constructed a decent BP last season from waiver wire pick-ups and minor league free agents.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

True. But if Trout gives Eppler any indication that he wants to play the last half of his career with the Phillies and will enter FA, this is on Eppler to trade him and get as much as you can before that happens. 

I love Trout and hope he plays out his entire career with our team, but I'm an Angels fan first. So backup the f'n truck with all your top prospects if Trout will test FA. 

If that's what gets out, then nobody will give us dick for him -- why would they?   Stop drinking the Flop-aid...  Best thing Eppler can do is continue to try to build a team Trout can lead somewhere, he's got two years to do it.  If it comes to the point where he's good as gone, then I'm sure he will do what he sees fit, but that day is not today.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

If that's what gets out, then nobody will give us dick for him -- why would they?   Stop drinking the Flop-aid...  Best thing Eppler can do is continue to try to build a team Trout can lead somewhere, he's got two years to do it.  If it comes to the point where he's good as gone, then I'm sure he will do what he sees fit, but that day is not today.  

Oh no, if Trout leaks that to the media we're doomed. I know that. But if I'm Eppler and Arte, I ask Trout if he declines an extension to remain with the team if he will help the org out by agreeing to a trade that will put the franchise in a good spot despite his desire to play elsewhere when he reaches FA. 

4 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

3 year deals on a 33 year old reliever...since 2016, when Eppler took over, how many of these deals has he done?

Answer, from what I can tell, is zero.

Why do you guys keep hyping yourselves up, when there is no indication of any interest, just to let yourself down?

Eppler doesn't make these moves.

Could he at some point?  Maybe when they are a legit division contending team.  Right now, though, doesn't make sense...especially when he constructed a decent BP last season from waiver wire pick-ups and minor league free agents.

He was supposedly in on Britton, why wouldn't he be in on Ottavino..?

I get not dropping a ton of coin on Harper & Machado. I get saving even a little on 3 or 4 bullpen pieces out of the 6-7 guys down there.

I dont understand not going after a proven closer who can also mentor and work with the younger guys. I found it a great way to get closer to my teammates also. I was mentored and was a mentor to a young future closer. I knew what my job was and had no problem with it as long as the checks cleared. It's a part of the game.

Historically, we've had "That" guy even Harvey-Grahe, Smith-Percy, Percy-KRod since KRod left our closers have been either the aging dude in Street, journeymen, swing guys or the hot young arm. Which works for a while. But, there is a reason they call them old guys, journeymen, swing guys, and rookies. 

Every high caliber prospective playoff team have had a few vets and a few young arms in the pen. Why? Because the vets know what it takes and they have the ability to chat up the young guy who may be going through tough times mentally or help them get through the dead arm period or times they dont have their best stuff with a little knowledge.

Coaching only does so much. There is a lot of conversations from all across the board down there (from work, knowledge, politics, news, women, dudes, jokes, stories, languages it's a weird band of brothers thing that you need to experience) Sometimes, it's the older guy putting a bug in your ear or saying "I've been there try this"....

Sometimes, it requires a voice that has done it, and is doing it at a high level and who has gone through the same physical issues, mental blocks, body soreness etc. Sitting next to you in the bully.

I learned the Forkball sitting down there (ended up throwing it 60% and it worked for me) I learned 4 different grips off my 2 seam and 4 seam that each did a little different thing, I also learned a better grip off the change up. Sitting there chatting up an older guy. I even learned a cutter by chatting up a lefty it didnt work for me at all. But, I was able to teach young lefties many years later when I was coaching kids in little league, travel ball and high school. That dominated with it.

I know some of you guys will make your negative comments about what I said above. I know some will drop stats and analytics to show an opportunity of incorrectness within my statements.

But, if you've never done it, been a part of it, experienced it, or given back to it. That doesnt make it a wives tale or incorrect.

I get what and why Eppy is doing it this way (to place financial resources elsewhere). But, I also know enough about the rest of the game that says it's not all about analytics. Or, maybe, they just haven't had the right guy down there as a bullpen coach. Maybe, Bailey being a former closer and bullpen guy will help in that regard as normally it's been an ex-catcher who never sat down there or a guy who during is playing career came off as aloof.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Oh no, if Trout leaks that to the media we're doomed. I know that. But if I'm Eppler and Arte, I ask Trout if he declines an extension to remain with the team if he will help the org out by agreeing to a trade that will put the franchise in a good spot despite his desire to play elsewhere when he reaches FA. 

I'd think if the Angels become open to a trade for him, then it will be assumed that Trout isn't going to sign.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah i mean who would pay anything for 2 years of the best player on the planet.   And somehow im the one drinking whatever-aid.  

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

I'd think if the Angels become open to a trade for him, then it will be assumed that Trout isn't going to sign.

Not necessarily. It could be that they don't want to take the chance they he'll want an extension now and enter as a FA in two years and would rather take the top prospects. This happens all the time. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Let's be real.... The second Eppler approaches a team to see what they would do that team goes public with it...   It's in their best interest to get over in that situation.

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

He was supposedly in on Britton, why wouldn't he be in on Ottavino..?

Zach is 2 years younger and has been historically better.

Ottavino was solid last season, but hit and miss 2015-2017.

Likely risk/reward...

Also, was our deal the same?  Britton got 3/$39 mil with a team option for $13 mil, while we only know Angels were a "finalist".  Our offer could have been 2 guaranteed with a team option.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Yeah i mean who would pay anything for 2 years of the best player on the planet.   And somehow im the one drinking whatever-aid. 

Who?

I'll answer you as soon as I figure out who would be stupid enough to trade the best player on the planet before they need to.... 

Keep chugging those out of town newsfeeds.

22 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

True. But if Trout gives Eppler any indication that he wants to play the last half of his career with the Phillies and will enter FA, this is on Eppler to trade him and get as much as you can before that happens. 

I love Trout and hope he plays out his entire career with our team, but I'm an Angels fan first. So backup the f'n truck with all your top prospects if Trout will test FA. 

I recall somebody posting the results of recent trades involving superstars and a boatload of blue-chip prospects. The results were dismal for the team trading the superstar. Very few of the prospects made any sort of impact.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Who?

I'll answer you as soon as I figure out who would be stupid enough to trade the best player on the planet before they need to.... 

Keep chugging those out of town newsfeeds.

When you need to, is when you get less value.   Perhaps its you who should read more than the yes man posts around here.  

41 minutes ago, floplag said:

We are not close to the lux tax, the lux tax is not our budget.  We are fully 50M under it.  The lux tax has nothing to do with our limitations. 

They aren't 50 million under the luxury tax, not sure where you got that number....and the luxury tax has a lot to do with our limitations...it matters to Arte, we haven't surpassed it for the three years Eppler has been GM...