• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"Mile wide" Tornado touches down in Oklahoma

Horrifying...

8 Minutes is not enough time to even get into an appropriate shelter against one this big.

Thoughts and prayers with our friends in OK.

I've been hearing 18 minutes from the time of the first sighting until it reached the city of Moore. 

Sirens go off for Severe Thunderstorm Warnings as well as Tornado Warnings. And it's the same sound. So there are many times that a siren goes off and people think, "ok, I will look outside in a bit to see if I should find a storm shelter or just stay indoors." Because 90% of the time, it's just a severe storm. It's not until they actually see the Tornado that they run for the storm shelters. And a lot of times, that's too late.

Plus, in metro areas, it's not like storm shelters are dug in the ground at shopping centers and schools. Underground shelters, from what I understand, are quite expensive and that is just to fit a small family in a single home. I can't imagine how much it would cost a school to build a similar shelter to fit hundreds of kids.

I lived in Moore for a number of years. I am still trying to find out about the welfare of friends who live about a half mile north of the elementary school where the children were killed. That is basically my old neighborhood. Have already been in contact with family in Norman, they are all OK although my brother-in-law and his family had a close call. The tornado passed just north of them, but not by much.

I moved to Las Vegas about six months before the F5 hit in 1999. The last apartment complex I lived in was leveled. Had I stayed I would have been at best homeless. There were things I liked about Oklahoma, but the weather in May wasn't one of them.

This is just terrible. I have family there that are reporting safety, but can't help but feel for everyone involved. I'm kind of in worry mode still as we have a friend of AW (I won't post his name because it's not my place) who lost communication with his wife after it hit.

Just a terrible tragedy.

From what family members tell me, don't read anything into losing communication. A lot of stuff was wiped out in a short period of time. Family members in Norman just got their electricity and internet back about two hours ago, and they were nowhere near where the bulk of the damage occurred.

I saw a report on CNN a little earlier tonight from an area I am very familiar with and went through hundreds of times, but all the landmarks are gone. It's surreal.