• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yusei Kikuchi

I’ve thought all along that he was our best chance at a big signing this winter...we need pitching, no draft pick compensation, prefers west coast, maybe Ohtani helps a little....but it’s always about chasing the last dollar with Boras, rather than fit...nothing wrong with chasing a good contract but being in a good situation matters too...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/12/19/baseball/mlb/shohei-ohtani-hopeful-mlb-showdown-school-alum-yusei-kikuchi/#.XBoYv1xKiUk

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe they left that part of the interview out, but Ohtani never says a thing about playing with Kikuchi. Only, about hoping he faces him as a hitter.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats the scoop on this guy, anyway? How good does he project? Like a front end starter?

I see him a number 2... He's posted a career 2.81 career ERA in Japan with a strike out rate of 8.0 per 9 innings. However, he had a very underwhelming first couple years, as he was in his low 20's age wise. So those years inflated his career numbers a bit. He's gotten very good since then. He's not a hard thrower, as he averaged 91.5 MPH on his fastball last year.

He has a very Rich Hill like finish on his delivery. Let's hope he doesn't have Rich Hill's vagina.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats the scoop on this guy, anyway? How good does he project? Like a front end starter?

2/3.  He looks like he could be anywhere from Hector Santiago to Pat Corbin from a stuff standpoint.  

Before people freak out about a Santiago comp, remember that the thing holding him back wasn't his stuff, but that thing between his ears.  Also remember that Santiago was actually pretty effective for the halos with a 3.82 era in over 400 ip.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

My guess is Boras is holding out for 5/90 contract at the very least. There is no way he is going to accept $12 million a year, that's Matt Harvey money and Kikuchi is only 28. 

maybe.  Since it's Boras, it wouldn't surprise me if he's throwing 9 figures out there.  He might ultimately get 5/75.  

I'm expecting the Angels to throw everything and the kitchen sink at Yusei Kikuchi.  A common theme among their targets is that the Angels receive consideration but ultimately come up short.  As we saw with Harvey, Eppler has realized that if he wants upside, he's going to have to pay for it.  Kikuchi has that upside, and the Angels have a need for a long term option.  Eppler has personally scouted him extensively, and seems to have a better working relationship with Scott Boras than the owner and previous GM's.

The Angels figure to have 20-30 million left to spend, and Arte is well aware of the impact of having a huge Japanese draw and what it does as far as putting butts in seats. I think Yusei Kikuchi will sign with the Angels, but it's going to cost them a lot more than the 5/42 MLBT predicts.  I think it'll take 5/60, and that will result in 11 million in the posting fee which comes out to 5/71.

Unless a team give up an offers him the 5/90 contract, i don't see him getting more than 4/5 yr-50/55 mill with incentives and bonus that takes the money up to 70 mil. This is most likely due his shoulder concerns and the fact last year his Velo on the Fb dropped. 

From but i've heard and seen, is that he has a plus slider, an their's a question mark on his Fb now, lat 92, he's been know to be around 4/85 and his other stuff is listed as average. If he gets that velo back he has a chance to be 2, but if he doesn't he should be a good 3. 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

maybe.  Since it's Boras, it wouldn't surprise me if he's throwing 9 figures out there.  He might ultimately get 5/75.  

If he goes that low the Angels have to bid but he is 28 and is being marketed as front of the rotation so look at all the pitchers that are #2 and what they are getting paid then factor in he is the only one outside of Kuechel available. 

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'm expecting the Angels to throw everything and the kitchen sink at Yusei Kikuchi.  A common theme among their targets is that the Angels receive consideration but ultimately come up short.  As we saw with Harvey, Eppler has realized that if he wants upside, he's going to have to pay for it.  Kikuchi has that upside, and the Angels have a need for a long term option.  Eppler has personally scouted him extensively, and seems to have a better working relationship with Scott Boras than the owner and previous GM's.

The Angels figure to have 20-30 million left to spend, and Arte is well aware of the impact of having a huge Japanese draw and what it does as far as putting butts in seats. I think Yusei Kikuchi will sign with the Angels, but it's going to cost them a lot more than the 5/42 MLBT predicts.  I think it'll take 5/60, and that will result in 11 million in the posting fee which comes out to 5/71.

I'm concerned about the shoulder and drop in velocity - shoulder injuries in their various forms are career-enders for pitchers - it's not TJ.  

Anyway - I have to wonder what Otani would feel like if we dumped a bunch of money on another Japanese player, one not as good as he is?   Would he feel like we're rubbing his face in the fact he came "early?"  

Also recall that, apparently, a factor in Ohtani's choosing the Angels was *not* having had a Japanese star before.  Never got what his issue with that was . . ?   Or still is?  

Of course, getting some talent that doesn't *cost* us talent is a great notion - but think we'd better pay respect to Ohtani's feelings on the matter.  

And also, let's MRI Kikuchi's shoulder until you could use him as a refrigerator magnet...

3 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I'm concerned about the shoulder and drop in velocity - shoulder injuries in their various forms are career-enders for pitchers - it's not TJ.  

Anyway - I have to wonder what Otani would feel like if we dumped a bunch of money on another Japanese player, one not as good as he is?   Would he feel like we're rubbing his face in the fact he came "early?"  

Also recall that, apparently, a factor in Ohtani's choosing the Angels was *not* having had a Japanese star before.  Never got what his issue with that was . . ?   Or still is?  

Of course, getting some talent that doesn't *cost* us talent is a great notion - but think we'd better pay respect to Ohtani's feelings on the matter.  

And also, let's MRI Kikuchi's shoulder until you could use him as a refrigerator magnet...

Key word is ‘apparently’. Was this ever confirmed? Also, I seriously doubt Eppler would pursue Kikuchi if Ohtani made an issue of it. I suspect that was just a fan/media narrative that wasn’t accurate.