• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not waive Pujols?

19HALO71

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

In other words, the Angels really don't want to win. What's more important to them is the whole pomp and circumstance. Kinda like the Queen of England.

of course they want to win.  Do you think every decision made in baseball is merely about whether an individual player is performing?  

2 hours ago, floplag said:

...and you can guarantee he put up better numbers i assume then?  
Until he shows that and actually has a major league at bat, were guessing. 

I hate this argument.

Put Jose Briceno there then.  TA DA!!!  Better that what Pujols gives you.  

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

This dumb? Again name calling? Because I think Pujols is worse than Cron. Facts don’t care about your feelings. 

No, because you made another dumb post, that smart people on here agree is a real reason why Albert hasn’t simply been released.  

Just now, Stradling said:

No, because you made another dumb post, that smart people on here agree is a real reason why Albert hasn’t simply been released.  

The real reason Albert hasn’t been released is because of money owed. Not some made up Trout speculation. Albert is owed a lot of money that Arte as of now does not want to eat. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

The real reason Albert hasn’t been released is because of money owed. Not some made up Trout speculation. Albert is owed a lot of money that Arte as of now does not want to eat. 

It likely has nothing to do with Trout, but it isn't just because Arte doesn't want to eat the money.  Arte signed him to be with the Angels long after he retires.  Essentially their business relationship extends beyond Pujols playing baseball.  Meaning there has to be a level of respect involved.  Don't you think in 2012 offseason that Arte assured Pujols he would get to play out his contract until he decides to retire?  He gave him 10 years knowing he wouldn't make it that long.  He's not going back on his word when he still intends to do business with him for the next decade.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86
punctuation

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

There is no way Ohtani sits in favor of Pujols unless it's against certain lefties.  Pujols is the starting first baseman for the Angels.  Get over it and move on with your lives. Like I have stated many times, the Angels will have to win in spite of Pujols. You know how most NL teams have 2 black holes in the lineup(C and P)?  Well, Pujols is our black hole. NL teams win in spite of mostly terrible hitting at catcher and pitching or at least pitching.  Pujols is not a total disaster at 1st so just think of it that way. 

This is the only kind of waiving we can expect the Angels do to with Pujols

giphy.gif

He’ll absolutely sit while Pujols DH’s once a week. Expecting Ohtani to DH all 152 games (10 in NL Parks) is setting yourself up for disappointment. He’ll hopefully be the DH in 130 games but I expect Pujols or another player to DH a few times.

I just hope Pujols can stay productive at 1st. Valbuena (RIP) was terrible last year and Marte and Cowart weren’t much better. Pujols as a 1B hit worse than as a DH but hopefully he can manage a .750 OPS. 

5 hours ago, 19HALO71 said:

Hey all, it's been a while. I hope this isn't a Craig.

I get that he is under contract. The money is already spent. But why not just waive him and his 0.5 WAR and fill his spot with a younger more versatile player?

Now that Scioscia is gone, this is the most craiged active topic on the board

16 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

It likely has nothing to do with Trout, but it isn't just because Arte doesn't want to eat the money.  Arte signed him to be with the Angels long after he retires.  Essentially their business relationship extends beyond Pujols playing baseball.  Meaning there has to be a level of respect involved.  Don't you think in 2012 offseason that Arte assured Pujols he would get to play out his contract until he decides to retire?  He gave him 10 years knowing he wouldn't make it that long.  He's not going back on his word when he still intends to do business with him for the next decade.

I get all of that I truly do. But there has to be a point of no return. Whether it’s a contractor you paid to do a job at your house or whether it’s a professional athlete. If the guy is not performing his job successfully you must find someone to replace him to a satisfactory level. 

24 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

False.  Arte knows he "eats" the money whether Pujols is on the roster or not on the roster.

Arte is very big on honor and personal relationships.  I am pretty sure Pujols and Arte have an actual relationship.  Arte brought him here and agreed to pay him.  Pujols is a legend, and therefore Pujols gets to manage his own exit from the game.

If Arte shoves him out, Arte would damage his own standards for being a man of his word, and it would not look good for the organization.

Pujols will be gone from the Angels at some point.  The best thing long, long term is Pujols steps aside on his own and isn't forced out.

I desperately want Pujols to find his own honor and step aside like any rational fan interested in immediately winning.

But the reality is Arte doesnt want to be that guy.

And it is not the money, because Arte is also "eating the money" every day Pujols stays.

2 hours ago, Barrett said:

It has been said a thousand times so heres 1001. Cron was better than Pujols when they traded him. Pujols will not be replaced at first until Pujols decides to walk away or he is on the DL. I guarantee you Pujols will play DH a lot this year which means Ohtani will be sitting on the bench. I think we can all agree Ohtani has more upside than Pujols. 

I don't believe this is true. 

I think Ohtani is going to DH pretty much every day. Pujols will have to play 1b. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think Ohtani is going to DH pretty much every day. Pujols will have to play 1b. 

I hope you’re right. But history tells us differently. You said pretty much every day though. Which doesn’t mean every day. So there will be days Pujols plays dh and Ohtani sits in your mind. 

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

False.  Arte knows he "eats" the money whether Pujols is on the roster or not on the roster.

Arte is very big on honor and personal relationships.  I am pretty sure Pujols and Arte have an actual relationship.  Arte brought him here and agreed to pay him.  Pujols is a legend, and therefore Pujols gets to manage his own exit from the game.

If Arte shoves him out, Arte would damage his own standards for being a man of his word, and it would not look good for the organization.

Pujols will be gone from the Angels at some point.  The best thing long, long term is Pujols steps aside on his own and isn't forced out.

I desperately want Pujols to find hisnown honor and step aside like any rational fan interested in immediately winning.

But the reality is Arte doesnt want to be that guy.

And it is not the money, because Arte is also "eating the money" every day Pujols stays.

How can it be false? Everything you said goes back to you saying “pretty much” you have as much knowledge how Arte thinks as I do. Everyone is just speculating 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I hope you’re right. But history tells us differently. You said pretty much every day though. Which doesn’t mean every day. So there will be days Pujols plays dh and Ohtani sits in your mind. 

He won’t DH every day and to think Ohtani will DH every single day is just setting yourself up to be disappointed, try having realistic expectations.  

19 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Im guessing the 10 year personal services contract was introduced by his agents to make up the difference in taxes from Pujols signing here instead of St Louis. Not really for business afterwards.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I doubt it. Angels seem to have impenetrable loyalty to Pujols. 

And Ohtani was forced to sit for Pujols last year, so I dont see why this year would be different.

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

No, they really shouldn't.  They gave him the deal they gave him and it includes a service contract.  He moved his family here so they could establish themselves.  I agree that he needs to show some respect himself and retire/work out a deal, but if the Angels don't let it play out then what makes you think he will want to stay with the organization?  He wouldn't have moved his family here if he wasn't assured they would stick to their end of the bargain.  Releasing him is a breach of trust.  It would potentially make all these years of putting up with his BSOML only to constantly get injured and put up weak numbers all for nothing.  He was supposed to give us some great years and didn't.  Regardless of how that played out we were always going to be at this point.  The Angels knew that and they still made the deal.  They aren't going to release him and as much as it pains me to say it I agree with it.

Oh boo hoo, just because the Angels release him doesn't mean he has to move his family.  If he isn't producing/not bringing in value, why keep him around?   Who cares if it's a breach of trust, I'm sure he'll wipe away the hurt tears with the millions he'll still get.  Just because the Angels knew this was going to happen at the latter years of the contract, does not mean they have to keep him around still.  The Angels' only obligation is to pay him, whether or not he plays on the team or not. 

Why is everyone assuming that Trout wants Pujols in the lineup? 

Trout has already said winning is the most important thing. Do people on this message board really believe they know more about baseball than Mike Trout? I think he can reach the same conclusion that we all can that Pujols on the team is anti winning.

You can treat Pujols with respect and send him upstairs like the Mariners did with Ichiro.

Either way Pujols will not see the field much this year with a new manager and new importance on new analytics other than RBI's.

Trout has other buddies on the team.... are we going to sign all of his buddies to keep him happy? Richard is gone. Cron is gone. Calhoun might be soon.... they are all good friends of Mike Trout's. 

More important than Pujols and his feelings is winning some games this year. 3 straight losing seasons already. 

If the Angels win a lot of games and they pay a lot of money to Mike Trout than most likely he stays. The winning needs to start now.

The comparison between Trout and Pujols is apples and oranges. Trout was homegrown and will get a much higher pass when he struggles.... also I think Trout is smart enough to understand that a certain percentage of fans will turn on you no matter where you play.... this is not something that Orange County has an exclusive on. 

Stop thinking that Trout can not see and understand these things.