• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte's going to love this article...

There was actually some speculations on the trade rumor about this issue after Pujols made his statement about retiring early if he's no longer able to play at a high level. The theory is that Arte actually has an ace in the hole in the form of rock solid evidence that Pujols is actually older than claimed, and could potentially sue to get the contract voided on the basis of fraud. 

However, rather than avoid a lawsuit that would tarnish both the franchise and Pujols' personal reputation, Pujols has agreed to the early retirement option as a way for both parties to save face. 

That was posted by Halos of Anaheim and was based on absolutely nothing.

This was a terribly harsh article, very tough to read, but I couldn't disagree with a single word of it.

It was one of the most scathing things I have ever read that relates to the media and the Angels. Although it bothers and pains me to say it, I can't find one word of it that I disagree with.

As a Cardinals fan...it was a sad day when AP decided to leave and go to the Angels.  I knew that the contract length and the dollars meant the Cardinals just couldnt match that and shouldnt.

However, I never thought his decline would be so severe and so quick.  I thought he'd put up similar numbers as he did in 2012 for 3-4 more years and then steadily decline.  I never thought I'd see AP with an OPS below .800 this soon.

I still love the guy, but glad he isnt a Cardinal anymore.

I find it laughable that some people think they can tell how old someone is simply by looking at them; especially if you're trying to determine if they're only a couple years older.  C'mon!

I know.  Take Greg Oden for example.  He probably looked old enough to drink when he was nine. 

AO, I don't think the big performance comment is fair since you, yourself, advocated that the Angels get a "feared hitter". I do think that the decision to give Pujols the contract was motivated in some small part by the opportunity to bring a franchise name to Anaheim which, in turn, allowed Arte to execute his new FOX deal. I think they also hoped that Pujols would perform like traditional Pujols but alas....

0 evidence the Fox deal was tied up with Pujols. I highly doubt Arte got more money because of the Pujols deal.

0 evidence the Fox deal was tied up with Pujols. I highly doubt Arte got more money because of the Pujols deal.

You highly doubt he got more money? We are talking about Arte Moreno, the guy who said he couldn't imagine paying one player more than he paid for his team. Then he Albert and the next day signs a $3 billion TV contract. I think there is more evidence, no proof, that he went to Fox to negotiate the deal with the agreement to sign Albert. By the way, why would Fox give the Angels $3 billion if they didn't expect a huge increase in viewers? The Angels have one of the worst, if not the worst ratings in the league.

Whatever the case may be, it looks possible and rather indisputable that this will end up being one of the worst contracts in sports history if things continue as they have and follow trends in both production and health.

If you want to argue over things that don't matter, we can continue to debate whether or not the ARod deal is worse, but then again, I bet the Yankees are in a MUCH better position to deal with that contract sucking to holy hell than the Angels are to handle the Pujols deal being terrible with absolutely no benefits being realized in even the first 4 or so years.

I think he'd be doing well if he was healthy. I really do.

I also think that I'd be able to dunk a basketball rather easily if I were seven feet tall. I really do.

Rally, I'm not sure why you want to argue this but ok. If Albert gets shut down and returns next season without the effects of the plantar then he will put up good numbers again. I know he is older but both Salmon and Garret came back from it and I am sure they were in their 30's when they had it.

As far as whether or not the Yankees can handle an albatross of a contract better, of course they can. However Arte even after seeing what we saw from Albert last year, signed a player for $125 million. I'm guessing he wouldn't be doing this if he can't afford it. Guys who are this successful in business don't throw good money after bad, I'm sure there is a plan in place. I read somewhere that all GM's look at their teams in terms of three and five year salary projection rather than year to year.

I am worried about the Albert contract but really it is based on his health and not whether or not he can still perform when healthy. When I worry about the Angels I worry much more about the farm system than I do about Albert's contract. No amount of money (outside of international signings) can overcome bad drafts. Oh and there are plenty of great players that are drafted past the first round.

if the angels' tv contract was based on pujols' signing, then the people at fox have no clue what they're doing. i mean it's good for arte moreno if it's true but that's an incredibly strange stipulation.

This. Also, compared to the Dodgers deal our TV contract is well within the market rate. Coincidence is hardly causation.

Putting Pujols' contract of ten years in perspective, let's assume that a player who many (myself included) would call the Greatest of All Time, Babe Ruth, had signed a ten-year contract prior to his age 32 season. Of course, that would be prior to the 1927 season, where he hit 60 HRs and had a 1.258 OPS. He continued to post OPS over 1.000 until 1933, his age 38 season, then had a .985 in 1934, at age 39. He was done by midway thru the following season.

Babe, who arguably had fewer miles than Pujols (because of his early career as a pitcher), fell off quickly, and even though he had some great years from age 32 on, he would not have even finished the ninth year after this fictional contract.

Ten-year contracts are NEVER a good idea. You don't know what's going to happen in the course of a decade.

I still think Albert will have good numbers this year.

.289/32/100

The guy is known to get scalding hot

No, he wasnt.  He was known for his consistent excellence.  In his time w/ the Cardinals, he carried the team for lengths at a time not because he was hot, but rather because he was the most consistent hitter in the game.  He may have turned the 2B into HR's, but he was always a constant threat.

This season he seems to not be that at all.

I've been thinking about this article, and do you think that that lack of reaction, the lack of anticipation, might actually be contributing to Pujols' bad performance?  Maybe he's such a competitor that he feeds off that in a way he never really knew, and his terrible start last year started a vicious cycle?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this and he just sucks.

No, he wasnt. He was known for his consistent excellence. In his time w/ the Cardinals, he carried the team for lengths at a time not because he was hot, but rather because he was the most consistent hitter in the game. He may have turned the 2B into HR's, but he was always a constant threat.

This season he seems to not be that at all.

Thats not true, I spoke to many cardinal fans that say that Albert wpuld get cold a lot for long stretches then heat up. Hes known as the machine because his numbers somehow are always there at the end. Thats why last year cardinal fans would say dont worry he'll break out of it, he always does. I'm not worried at all the guy is not gonna fall off the map at 33.