• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lakers/Dwight Howard free agency

The Lakers will better off without him.  He does not have the heart of a champion.  He would rather advertise his services.  I'm told he wanted to be the No. 1 guy on a team and with Kobe, that was not going to happen.  If you have LeBron skills, you can say/think that - absent that you are constantly looking at a 12 pts and 12 rebounds line.

I think the Lakers need to get younger, but Howard isn't the guy.  When a guy's attitude is "I want to go where they're going to give me championships" instead of "I'll be a champion wherever I go", he doesn't have the right mindset.  He didn't show a lot of effort this season from what I saw.  And when Kobe pushed him to be better, he didn't like it.  The guy doesn't seem to want to work hard to take it to the next level.  Champions are always trying to find ways to get better.  Dwight's not that guy.

That said, he's already gotten one coach fired.  Now he's saying he didn't feel comfortable playing for D'Antoni?  You can't let a guy have that kind of control.  What if he doesn't like the next coach you bring in?  I could honestly give a hot crap about D'Antoni one way or another.  But if you go down that road with a player, it will lead to even bigger problems later.  You can't have that if you want to have a consistent winner every year.

The Lakers are absolutely better off without him.  They don't have his drama to deal with in the short-term, and in the long-term, they'll have more money to play around with.  Good riddance.

Which is why I think it's stupid that people want him gone. Yes, he's baby and pisses us all off but we can contend with him but without him we cannot, we'll be doomed for AT LEAST one year of suck. The suck will go on until we can lure FA to LA because a team with Kobe/Nash/Gasol isn't going to be a lottery team but they also aren't going to contend.

The Lakers don't settle for just contending. They build a team to win championships. Howard is not a capable leader that can win championships. That is the reason why I am glad he is gone. He won't win in Houston. Watch.

The Lakers don't settle for just contending. They build a team to win championships. Howard is not a capable leader that can win championships. That is the reason why I am glad he is gone. He won't win in Houston. Watch.

Kobe is still here and after this season, Lebron is a free agent. Dwight would never have to be a leader, just a solid piece to the puzzle.

Kobe is still here and after this season, Lebron is a free agent. Dwight would never have to be a leader, just a solid piece to the puzzle.

But that is Dwight's problem. He wants to be the Alpha Dog but doesn't know how to lead a team. When he isn't the Alpha, he mopes and complains. My guess is he and Harden will have issues.

The way this team is built now they have no chance of winning, even with Kobe but Billups had the same injury at the same age and it took him an entire year to come back so that means no Kobe either.

They need to try to trade Nash for an expiring contract and go all in for the 2014 free agent class.

The way this team is built now they have no chance of winning, even with Kobe but Billups had the same injury at the same age and it took him an entire year to come back so that means no Kobe either.

They need to try to trade Nash for an expiring contract and go all in for the 2014 free agent class.

Because lots of teams want a broken down, overpaid 40 year old who makes nearly $10M per year.

I get what you want to see the Lakers do Nate, I just don't think it's possible for one. And two, of the FA's in that class, half will extend with their respective teams, another 1/4 are old and won't help the Lakers any. That leaves a much smaller group to pick from. And at that point, the Lakers would need 3 big names to come together like Bosh/Wade/LeBron did in Miami because there will be nothing on their roster except Nash. I don't see enough talent to make that happen.

Prior to last season (if I remember correctly), Toronto was interested in Nash.  I think they intended on playing up him being the returning Canadian.  I would check and see if they are still interested.  There may be a few others that would see Nash as a all-time great point guard/playoff experienced veteran that could help teach a young point guard.  If they have plenty of capspace, the salary may not be a huge issue.

Why would anybody want to move to Houston. If I were him Houston and Atlanta would be the two I crossed off the list immediately. At least with Dallas he'd have Cuban's commitment, with LA he'd get to live in LA, and with Golden State he'd have a solid group around him.

I don't see the Lakers amnestying Kobe and I hope they don't. Say what you want about him as far as everything that happened over the years but I want to see him only ever play for the Lakers.

Agreed, I just hope they don't re-sign him after next season, and he finishes his career in Europe.

I can't see giving big money to a 36 year-old to be, who will have played 18 seasons in the NBA.

Agree with Stradling.  He still plays at a very high level, isn't the type of guy who slacks off and is worth keeping around.  I saw a discussion about it on ESPN and the analysts commented about how he really needs to do a Tim Duncan type deal which doesn't hamper his team salary cap wise.  It would allow the Lakers to focus on the future because like Duncan Kobe's career is winding down and it's time to focus on the next generation.  After next year the Laker's only have Nash signed making just under 10M for the season after that which means if Kobe signs a club friendly contract (while still making like~10M a year) then the Lakers will have a lot of money to spend and rebuild.