• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

and Shoe gone as well

floplag

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Probably, but if he wasn't willing to work with them on a contract and you know they likely did reach out to him to see what he would be open to -- you can't blame them.   They will simply try to find their own bargain out there.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wouldnt shock me to see him sign with the Tigers.

I guess my post was so good you had to respond twice.   :D

If Shoe is really past his nerve damage I think he can produce for another team at league or better level. For the money that's a steal. You look around and guys with lesser of a resume are getting paid as well or better. He hits age 31 but with an arm that is really only 28 due to missing time. And that time missed wasn't ligament damage so there was never a structural problem to worry about.

I liked the guys courage on the mound and coming back after almost being killed pitching. I just think he hasn't hit the end of his career. 

Just now, Blarg said:

I guess my post was so good you had to respond twice.   :D

If Shoe is really past his nerve damage I think he can produce for another team at league or better level. For the money that's a steal. You look around and guys with lesser of a resume are getting paid as well or better. He hits age 31 but with an arm that is really only 28 due to missing time. And that time missed wasn't ligament damage so there was never a structural problem to worry about.

I liked the guys courage on the mound and coming back after almost being killed pitching. I just think he hasn't hit the end of his career. 

Ive been fighting off a pretty bad flu and am pretty medicated, so I'm a tad scatter-brained.  I was too lazy to edit and add that last bit...

I think they likely made a mistake passing on Shoe.  I'm hoping this is all about them playing the business end of the game and they are continuing to speak with him.   He was inconsistent but some of that I believe can be attributed to the same sort of stuff you see from any pitcher breaking into MLB.

1 minute ago, happybat4 said:

I thought Parker was good. He should get a guranteed contract somewhere.

He was fine, so were a bunch of guys signed for less on the FA market last year.   I think some of the decision to let him go is that Parker picked up some saves -- and saves are like HRs, Wins, and RBI in the sense that they drive the costs of arbitration players up more.

This is what saber minded front offices do.  Because the Angels have money doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be efficient -- anything they can save on the fringes means they have more to throw at the bigger fish down the road.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ive been fighting off a pretty bad flu and am pretty medicated, so I'm a tad scatter-brained.  I was too lazy to edit and add that last bit...

I think they likely made a mistake passing on Shoe.  I'm hoping this is all about them playing the business end of the game and they are continuing to speak with him.   He was inconsistent but some of that I believe can be attributed to the same sort of stuff you see from any pitcher breaking into MLB.

Hard to imagine him signing for less than $4m. 

Count me in the camp that feels he will have a good, healthy 2019.

What it signifies to me is that the Angels fully intend on getting two SP, which would have bumped Shoe into the #6 SP role. At $4m, bouncing from AAA/MLB, that’s too much money to spend for that spot on the depth chart, especially when Pena can fill the exact same role for millions less.

If the Angels were content with him as our #4 or #5, he’d be here. I think we will see two SPs added and it’s gonna require money.

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

As you posted a 103 OPS+ is higher than league average while getting pains well below league average. So, that makes him a very affordable and valueable assest. 

affordable and valuluable doesn't mean great. neither is slightly higher than league average. 

we had 6 starters this year with an era+ of at least 100 

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Hard to imagine him signing for less than $4m. 

I thought that too but the relief market is pretty extensive this off-season which may mean the middle and the bottom take a little less. Really tough call at that price. The velocity loss was probably the kicker in their final decision.