• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

and Shoe gone as well

floplag

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

I love Shoemaker. He's a good guy with a great story. That's a completely different topic, however. If you want to get your panties in a bunch about it, knock yourself out. 

Our discussion was only about his production. He was not great in any sense of the word. Not even close. asshat? lol  I guess the truth hurts.

speaking of Hurts . . . 

image.jpeg

image.gif

Our discussion was first about his value. You felt like pissing on it.

UCLA appreciates your steadfast loyalty.

Just now, totdprods said:

Before we all get too far ahead of ourselves too, there’s still a chance they re-sign him to a deal with a structure more beneficial for both parties too. Lesser base salary, heavy incentives on IP or GS. 

Not likely, but not totally unreasonable either.

I would think a great pitcher for $4M would have been a no-brainer, but what do I know? 

Just now, Lou said:

Ok, I'll put it to the boad:

was Shoemaker a great pitcher?

I don’t get how anyone could justify a yes to this question.  He had the one good year.  Out of no where.  He was otherwise injured and I guess average.  I think all of our hopefulness around him was colored by that first season.  Probably unreasonably. 

On November 30, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Lou said:

he's been extremely meh

just over 100ip over the last 2 seasons with an ERA+ of 91

On November 30, 2018 at 5:24 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Depends on how you want to look at it. He was great in 2016, and hurt most of 2017 and '18. His 31 innings he did manage to pitch this season were actually pretty good, with a 3.35 FIP. 

Steamer has him projected for a 4.34 FIP, at 148 innings and 1.4 WAR. If he's healthy he will beat that FIP and reach at least 2 war. At ~$4m that is a good deal. I think Eppler doesn't expect him to be healthy.

On November 30, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Lou said:

ha. i'd also argue that he wasn't great in 2016

he had a 3.88 era (103 era+) 

not once did ALF mention value. 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t get how anyone could justify a yes to this question.  He had the one good year.  Out of no where.  He was otherwise injured and I guess average.  I think all of our hopefulness around him was colored by that first season.  Probably unreasonably. 

have you met Blarg?

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Before we all get too far ahead of ourselves too, there’s still a chance they re-sign him to a deal with a structure more beneficial for both parties too. Lesser base salary, heavy incentives on IP or GS. 

Not likely, but not totally unreasonable either.

and I would be ok with that. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

the way our roster currently sits, paying $4 million for a #5 starter would be foolish. 

While I agree with this, I then ask why are we about to pay Cam Bedrosian over $2 million.   Would you rather pay Cam $2.25 million or Shoe $4 million?

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

While I agree with this, I then ask why are we about to pay Cam Bedrosian over $2 million.   Would you rather pay Cam $2.25 million or Shoe $4 million?

Ha. you're asking the biggest Cam hater on earth that question? 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Ok, I'll put it to the boad:

was Shoemaker a great pitcher?

I’d grade him as a sold league average starter. 

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

He deserves credit for two good, if not great, seasons. 2014 was masterful, and in 2016, he was basically put up the exact same ‘14 line and trends after the first month. Something was off. Had he been back and forth all year, yeah, I wouldn’t grade it the same, but he was virtually identical and posting the same above-average line for 20 straight starts.

I think he simply tried pitching through injury too much recently and could never get it going. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I can only imagine that they are using that $4 million towards getting a more expensive better than average pitcher.  I don’t think you can get something better than Shoe for $4 million.  

right. let's say we had earmarked $11M for a starter. we now have $15M 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I can only imagine that they are using that $4 million towards getting a more expensive better than average pitcher.  I don’t think you can get something better than Shoe for $4 million.  

Yup - my thinking is they’re going to try and either trade or sign for someone expensive and one on the cheaper side, or two mid-tier. Ultimately there will be a lot of guys like Shoe available for a similar cost, so if they’re still in need come January, it shouldn’t be hard to find something comparable for $4m, or they feel the AAA SP squad can come close enough for league minimum.

I really think the intent is to bring in two arms above Shoe’s caliber and it’s simply making that $4m avail now so it’ll be more fluid. Similarly, I think the money saved on Parker is also going towards offering a closer or vet reliever some money and a clear opportunity to close here.

Given Corbin and Eovaldi don’t seem to be on the Angels radar, I think they’ll swing a trade and assume salary.

29 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Never been a Shoemaker fan, Never... Never knew which pitcher would show up on any given start.

It’s funny, I kind feel different.  I thought he would go on these pretty good runs of consecutive starts where he was really good.  At least he did in 2014 and 2016.