• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols

Dtwncbad

26 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If David Freese comes back I will legitimately be sad. 

I'm not advocating a return, just pointing out the obvious -- he can play both the corner spots and does a decent enough job of getting on base -- things that Eppler has said he is looking for.   At the same time, he's a RHB...  So that may be enough for them to not go there.

As a starter -- nope.   But as a utility guy -- I think there is some value there.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Since the Albert contract they have eliminated the ability to give post playing personal services contracts.  I wonder if that means they can’t renegotiate that part of the contract since they can no longer be signed.  

Curious, since meaning after he signed?  if so wouldnt anything in his deal still be valid? 
I dont know if there is but i know there were supposedly some details about the personal service contract in it so if there was info about transferring remaining monies would that still be ok?

Just now, floplag said:

Curious, since meaning after he signed?  if so wouldnt anything in his deal still be valid? 
I dont know if there is but i know there were supposedly some details about the personal service contract in it so if there was info about transferring remaining monies would that still be ok?

Yea, my point is, I don’t know if since it is no longer allowed to happen if they also have anything stating you can’t change ones that are currently employed.  Probably not, but it wouldn’t be completely out of the realm of possibility.  

Yeah, Pujols is probably going to last 100-120 starts or so at first base.  I don't think I'd count on any more than that.

As for who he Angels go with, they have some internal options.  Jose Miguel Fernandez hits left-handed, is inexpensive, well-suited for a reserve role and can fill in at both 2B and 3B.  He's a good fit for the roster.  The Angels could also go with Calhoun, who played 1B in college and in the minors, and instead opt for a RF that is considerably more capable of producing at the plate. 

And as far as free agency goes, Matt Adams seems like someone that might fit what the Angels are looking for.  He should be inexpensive, left-handed and hits well enough to be a part time 1B, if not more.  At worst, he's a great platoon option. 

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, my point is, I don’t know if since it is no longer allowed to happen if they also have anything stating you can’t change ones that are currently employed.  Probably not, but it wouldn’t be completely out of the realm of possibility.  

I would think they cant invalidate something already in contract, just prevent future use of it, so if it was done after he signed then whatever is there is still valid.  Was just curious if i had the timing right on that that it was done after he signed. 

18 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah, Pujols is probably going to last 100-120 starts or so at first base.  I don't think I'd count on any more than that.

As for who he Angels go with, they have some internal options.  Jose Miguel Fernandez hits left-handed, is inexpensive, well-suited for a reserve role and can fill in at both 2B and 3B.  He's a good fit for the roster.  The Angels could also go with Calhoun, who played 1B in college and in the minors, and instead opt for a RF that is considerably more capable of producing at the plate. 

And as far as free agency goes, Matt Adams seems like someone that might fit what the Angels are looking for.  He should be inexpensive, left-handed and hits well enough to be a part time 1B, if not more.  At worst, he's a great platoon option. 

Calhoun was something i suggested when i was pipe dreaming about Harper :).  Aside from that i dont think they look outside on this, as you say they have JMF who fits the roster needs perfectly.  I think they go with that till Thaiss is ready.

At this point i dont think they are looking for anything bat wise outside the org save for catcher, the rest is pretty much already there if the plan is pitching.  

Well have JMF and either Fletcher or Cozart plus one of the current catchers as reserves, the real issue will again be 4th OF as thats one spot weve shown no ML ready depth at.  Whether they bring back EYjr or whatever i guess well see.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'm still standing by my prediction of Pujols starting 90-100 games at DH/1B in 2019, and then retiring with the remaining $59 million paid out in whatever fashion. 

1)  He turns 40 after the 2019 season, and if he wants to preserve .300+ career BA, it will be prudent to retire a year from now.  

2)  Arte paid out some $70 million to Hackilton to no longer play here. 

As soon as Ohtani is ready to hit, Pujols either plays 1B or sits... Maybe a PHer.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

It really should be someone who can play another position as well, especially if Thaiss and Ward continue solely playing 1B and 3B respectively. Or someone who is really only going to be an occasional 1B/DH, and often a PH. Smoak is too good for that yet.

Off top of my head I don’t think Smoak has played anywhere other than 1B, at least recently.

How about ‘Rake’ Lamb

1 hour ago, floplag said:

There is no way any of Pujols player monies can be transferred to his personnel service contract. MLB and the players union would never allow it.

He could retire early and renegotiate his personnel service contract, but I doubt that it come anywhere near the amount of dollars left from his players contract. I hope his pride will be worth more to him than the remainder of his contract. 7 years ago when sign with Angels he said something to the effect that when the time came that he couldn't play up to a certain level he would retire.

I wonder what that level is.

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Ohtani and Pujols will at best have the same number of ABs by season’s end. My gut tells me that Pujols will be the primary DH when he’s physically unable to play the field by end of May. Ohtani will maybe see a start a week as well as nightly pinch hitting appearances. 

Nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, the Angels, like any other major league team, make a lot of stupid decisions.  It seems during the Dipoto regime, the Angels were particularly apt to making stupid mistakes.

But I don't care how much money is still owed to Albert.  There isn't an organization dumb enough to sit Ohtani in favor of Pujols in 2019. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ohtani losing 1 DH start a week isn't that bad.   Anything beyond that is stupid, though.

My prediction is Ohtani DH'ing in MLB games by no later than May 1.   For April, Pujols will mainly DH and ease back in at 1B.   Then when Ohtani returns, Pujols will DH once a week and play 1B three times a week.   That leaves 3-4 1B starts a week for someone else.

Thaiss could platoon with Albert. A good way to ease him into the majors. Or have Ward take over backup 1b/3b. Either will cost minimum allow more money to be used towards pitching and catcher. Ward is less likely though as our bench will only be 3 guys. Backup catcher, utility if'er, and a 4th of'er.

53 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Thaiss could platoon with Albert. A good way to ease him into the majors. Or have Ward take over backup 1b/3b. Either will cost minimum allow more money to be used towards pitching and catcher. Ward is less likely though as our bench will only be 3 guys. Backup catcher, utility if'er, and a 4th of'er.

Eventually, yes. But Thaiss still has some work to do in AAA. A best-case scenario is that he takes another step forward and is promoted sometime in the first half of 2019, possibly when Albert goes down with injury and/or just really sucks.

We'll probably see Walsh before we see Thaiss.