• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols

Dtwncbad

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

As soon as Ohtani is ready to hit, Pujols either plays 1B or sits... Maybe a PHer.

You can't carry two bat-only players. It leaves no roster flexibility. Ohtani will be the one bat-only player for 2019 if he is cleared for it. If Albert's legs are totally shot, he won't be able to hit or speed-walk to first either.

43 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Arte hated Hamilton toward the end of his time with Angels...

everybody did.

imo, while sucking balls had a lot to do with his release, i think it was the betrayal and josh's attitude about his drug use that pushed arte to release him. i think the entire front office, if not the players on the field, didn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse.

fans hate him for the wrong reason. they hate him for his drug addiction, but they should loathe him because he's a no class scumbag.

People get very angry when you blame a drug addict because "it is a disease."

That is fine but the fact is some really shitty people sometimes become drug addicts.

My opinion is Hamilton was a shitty person with or without drugs, and the "disease" doesn't let him off the hook for being a tool.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Eventually, yes. But Thaiss still has some work to do in AAA. A best-case scenario is that he takes another step forward and is promoted sometime in the first half of 2019, possibly when Albert goes down with injury and/or just really sucks.

We'll probably see Walsh before we see Thaiss.

Forgot about Walsh. Might be even better, because he can also play the outfield. 4th of'er/1b.  That would make our bench Briseno, Walsh , and whoever is the utility if'er.

38 minutes ago, ukyah said:

everybody did.

imo, while sucking balls had a lot to do with his release, i think it was the betrayal and josh's attitude about his drug use that pushed arte to release him. i think the entire front office, if not the players on the field, didn't want his toxicity in the clubhouse.

fans hate him for the wrong reason. they hate him for his drug addiction, but they should loathe him because he's a no class scumbag.

If I remember correctly Wilson thought the Angels treated Hamilton poorly, or am I misremembering 

50 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

People get very angry when you blame a drug addict because "it is a disease."

That is fine but the fact is some really shitty people sometimes become drug addicts.

My opinion is Hamilton was a shitty person with or without drugs, and the "disease" doesn't let him off the hook for being a tool.

i could care less about his addiction, it had nothing to do with why i didnt care for him.
He quit, pussed out, lost his courage to play the game... took the money and left us holding the bag, thats why i didnt like him.  He was gutless

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Not a huge surprise. He is a fine player when you have enough help from everywhere else.  He doesn’t hurt you, but he isn’t a difference maker. 

True, but how often does an .800 OPS guy get non-tendered?   Especially only being age 28?

Why not find someone to trade him to, and get something for him?   What arb figure is due him in 2019? 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

True, but how often does an .800 OPS guy get non-tendered?   Especially only being age 28?

Why not find someone to trade him to, and get something for him?   What arb figure is due him in 2019? 

When he's due an arbitration raise and a likely regression candidate

46 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

When he's due an arbitration raise and a likely regression candidate

Im curious about he regression comment, based on what exactly?   He just came off a bounce back year to put up a 2 WAR.  Everyone here wants to upgrade over Albert well, a 2 WAR does that very nicely. 
He hammers lefties, Albert's kryptonite,  his roads splits were better than his home last year, and made 2.3 last year so even with a bump likely wont cost more than 4-5.
Im not all major high on it due to lack of flexibility but If there is a better option to be had for the likely cost of a DFA out there im all ears.
Seems like were finding excuses.  

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im curious about he regression comment, based on what exactly?   He just came off a bounce back year to put up a 2 WAR.  Everyone here wants to upgrade over Albert well, a 2 WAR does that very nicely. 
He hammers lefties, Albert's kryptonite,  his roads splits were better than his home last year, and made 2.3 last year so even with a bump likely wont cost more than 4-5.
Im not all major high on it due to lack of flexibility but If there is a better option to be had for the likely cost of a DFA out there im all ears.

If you are talking about him being an Angel, no, it won’t happen, we can’t have 3 guys who can only DH or play 1st.   I do think he’s a prefectly fine first baseman for a team with limited payroll and roster flexibility elsewhere.   As for the regression, he doesn’t walk enough to see a real increase in WAR.  

1 hour ago, floplag said:

He doesn't get on base. He doesn't run well. He's a mediocre 1B with no positional flexibility. If he doesn't hit 30 Hr again he's basically useless

3 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Still a big upgrade over Pujols. Cron was their best 1B option heading into last year and they traded him away so Albertross could be the every day starter. Complete insanity.

It’s called baseball reality.  NO team would ever release Albert for CJ Cron and there was only room for one 1st base only guy.  

6 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

I never said release Albertross. He should have sat on the bench as backup 1B/pinch hitter. 

With Ohtani you can’t have that two first baseman only.  Also comparing Albert to Hanley Ramirez is simply dumb.  One will be a footnote player and one, while no longer what he once was, will go down as a top five right handed hitter of all time.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

If you are talking about him being an Angel, no, it won’t happen, we can’t have 3 guys who can only DH or play 1st.   I do think he’s a prefectly fine first baseman for a team with limited payroll and roster flexibility elsewhere.   As for the regression, he doesn’t walk enough to see a real increase in WAR.  

Agreed, but the quote suggested we was a regression candidate, not that he would increase.
Im not suggesting either or that i think hes great for us, was just wondering how a 2 WAR wouldnt be an upgrade or how we was supposed to decline 

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

He doesn't get on base. He doesn't run well. He's a mediocre 1B with no positional flexibility. If he doesn't hit 30 Hr again he's basically useless

All true, but still put up a 2 WAR.  Frankly based on the whole 3 true outcomes whats not to like?  lol  You could say that about a crap ton of guys in this league right now actually, but no matter.

Again im not suggesting we get him, we cant afford the lack of flexibility, but that those who are knocking him him running Pujols into the ground dont seem to know what they want in this case.  A 2 WAR at 1B would be an upgrade for the Angels. but for some reason this particular guy with a 2 WAR wouldnt be an upgrade because reasons...? 

If i suggested we sign him and bench or cut Albert, what response would that get i wonder? 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

It’s called baseball reality.  NO team would ever release Albert for CJ Cron and there was only room for one 1st base only guy.  

True, but thats not based on numbers, that based on baseball politics. 
If you posted the stats side by side without names/salaries attached, which one would you chose for the angels in 2019?

5 hours ago, floplag said:

True, but thats not based on numbers, that based on baseball politics. 
If you posted the stats side by side without names/salaries attached, which one would you chose for the angels in 2019?

Call it politics if you will.  It is called history, tradition and respect.  Once again, you aren't talking about some dude, you are talking about a guy with 3000 hits and 600 home runs.  How many of those guys have there ever been?  And we aren't talking about replacing him with the next stud first baseman, or the future of the franchise.  We are talking about CJ Cron.  Would you have released Rod Carew for Lee Stevens or Daryl Sconiers?  

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Call it politics if you will.  It is called history, tradition and respect.  Once again, you aren't talking about some dude, you are talking about a guy with 3000 hits and 600 home runs.  How many of those guys have there ever been?  And we aren't talking about replacing him with the next stud first baseman, or the future of the franchise.  We are talking about CJ Cron.  Would you have released Rod Carew for Lee Stevens or Daryl Sconiers?  

Based on this there is literally noone that can replace Pujols till he retires, so... its a moot point right, we can all stop talking about it and making random suggestions, cool.
Translation, you missed my point, i was sarcastically suggesting that thoise who want to DFA or replace him dont get it or dont want to.  

Just now, floplag said:

Based on this there is literally noone that can replace Pujols till he retires, so... its a moot point right, we can all stop talking about it and making random suggestions, cool.
Translation, you missed my point, i was sarcastically suggesting that thoise who want to DFA or replace him dont get it or dont want to.  

He'll be in this lineup for three more years, to the bitter end. There will be a farewell tour with all the trappings.