• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani Will Start For Angels On Sunday

53 minutes ago, Tank said:

In other news, the Halos have activated outfielder Justin Upton from the DL. And the organization called up backstop Jose Briceno to take the roster spot and role vacated by the just-dealt Bobby Wilson.

i'm gonna miss wilson. he's had a helluva year.

if that's the case, just wait until we trade Aybar. 

14 minutes ago, 70runner said:

Someone explain plz...why the Angels are risking the Ohtani elbow at this point in a dreadful season?  Nothing much to gain, a hell of a lot to lose it would seem.

Because he's as healthy now as he would be at the start of the spring. Might as well try out the elbow and see how it holds up. If he hurts it in the next month he can have the TJ surgery in October and be ready to hit in the spring and pitch for start of 2020. 

If we didn't have him pitch now and he hurts his elbow in March/April then all of a sudden we lose his bat in 2019 and dont get him back until late 2020/ early 2021.

49 minutes ago, 70runner said:

Someone explain plz...why the Angels are risking the Ohtani elbow at this point in a dreadful season?  Nothing much to gain, a hell of a lot to lose it would seem.

This is a no brainer.  They want to see if the elbow holds up.  If he tears it he can get surgery and be back by 2020.  If he waits until 2019 and tears it he wont be back until 2021.

I dont understand griping.  Now is the time to test his elbow.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Once a ligament is 100% it doesn’t get better with rest.  You can’t strengthen a ligament like you can a muscle.  If the doctors say he is 100% then there isn’t anything rest will do for it.  

uh.  well... soooooo...... um.   maybe.  

Even if a ligament is "100% healed," that doesn't mean there won't remain an underlying weakness or propensity for injury. In fact, I'd be curious how many instances there have been of pitchers with similar injuries to Ohtani's who were able to fully avoid TJS. My guess is that the majority of them eventually need it.