• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Here are the potential free agent closers available for 2019.

Which one should be pursue?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should be pursue?

• Jeurys Familia
    • Kelvin Herrera
    • Cody Allen
    • Joe Kelly
    • Craig Kimbrel
    • David Robertson
    • Zack Britton
    • Andrew Miller
    • Other (write in your choice as a reply, even if it is from within the organization)

Couple of notes, with next year's age:

Herrera (29): His strikeout rate has dropped for two consecutive years, from 10.75 in 2016 to 8.49 last year to 7.81 this year. His FIP has also gone up. Herrera was an elite reliever in 2016 but is no longer. No thanks. 

Familia (29): After struggling with injury in 2017, he's back to right where he left off in 2015-16 as an elite closer. Peripherals look good.

Allen (30): He peaked a few years ago and has been declining since. This year he seems mediocre at best. Stay away.

KImbrel (31): The best closer of this era, edging out Chapman. It seemed like he was declining there for a couple years but then he bounced back and had one of his best years last year. Still very good this year, but not quite as untouchable. Seems to alternate merely "very good" with "unreal" seasons, with no big worrying signs, although his velocity is down a bit this year.

Kelly (31): Not a closer or an elite reliever, so he's not in the same category as most of the other guys. Not sure he's any better than several in-house solutions.

Robertson (34): Consistently very good - lost his closer job a couple years agot Aroldis Chapman. Could be an interesting bargain closer.

Britton (31): A couple years of serious decline and some very worrisome peripherals. No thanks.

Miller (34): Similar to Robertson in that he might be an interesting budget option. Still great stuff as evinced by his strikeout rate.

SUMMARY

I'd stay far away from Herrera, Allen, and Britton. Kelly is OK but doesn't interest me. Kimbrel will be over-priced and I can't imagine why he'd want to leave Boston unless the Angels made him an offer he couldn't refuse, but that would be problematic.

I'd kick the tires on Familia. Robertson and/or Miller are also intriguing and I'd make an offer for one or both.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yep. Hes got local ties for sure. I wouldnt consider him a closer per se, but hed be a good add. And like you said, aim sure hed be open to coming here...

Yeah he’s more of a long relief type. He gets injured a lot though.

I’m generally wary about signing BP free agents, but I prefer signing former SPs like Bud Norris

5 hours ago, failos said:

Yeah he’s more of a long relief type. He gets injured a lot though.

I’m generally wary about signing BP free agents, but I prefer signing former SPs like Bud Norris

I cant see the transition from "long relief" to closer being that different.

Besides, Joe Kelly isnt really a long relief guy. He's more of a 3-5 outs guy before Kimbrel. Or that's how he HAS been used until his recent troubles.

9 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Personally i would like Anderson to become the closer and see how he does. He's been on a role, only has allowed one run that last 10 appearances. I think he can succeed in that role.

He's been better the past 2 months (22 innings, 1.41 WHIP, 22/10 K's/BBs, 2.45 ERA), after walking 16 in his first 19 innings.   ERA has dropped from 3.72 to 3.07 in that time.

Only 3 HRs allowed in 41 innings.   Still needs to further refine the command, but he is definitely in the setup role conversation for 2019 with his stuff. 

Ottavino was a solid enough set up guy for Colorado in 2013-2014.   Then he missed most of 2015 and part of 2016, although in pitching half of 2016, he put up a sub 1.00 WHIP and 2.67 ERA.   He stunk it up in 2017 (5.00 ERA and 1.60 WHIP), although still K'ing 63 in 53 innings.

This season is definitely on the surface an outlier.   1.66 ERA and sub 1.00 WHIP, with 81 K's in 54 innings so far    

Age 32, and he does have a lot of innings under his belt (1,074 innings combined MLB and MiLB).    Questionable, unless given no more than a two year deal?