• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia's Contract

So I was talking to someone today that is close to Rob Piccilo and he was saying that Mike has an opt out clause at the end of this season, this was the first I have heard of it. So I looked at Cots and it actually says Mike has one after 2015. I am just shocked that not only had I never heard that before, but people here aren't talking about it. The guy I was talking to is a stand up guy who's uncle is a major league coach, so I believe the things he says. I am not saying he is right about when the buy out is, he is probably mistaken about the year, but he had an interesting take on the next Angel manager, Sandy Alomar Jr. So there you go, for what it's worth.

From a 2009 ESPN article about Scioscia's contract extension:

Two people with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press the parties agreed to a 10-year deal that allows Scioscia to opt out after the 2015 season. 

The same information is also available here:

http://angelswin.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=43445&start=1

I don't see opting out as quitting, I see it as going after another big contract. Or if you guys are right and he really wants to be a Dodger again, this would give him the opportunity.

Regardless of what people might say, I think he's done getting big contracts.  His best chance of getting one elsewhere would require him to quit now before he becomes damaged goods.

I can see him opting out!  If he feels the franchise isn't in a position to compete why wouldn't he opt out?

Let me put this another way:  If you had to throw out Blanton and Enright 40% of the time, why the hell wouldn't you opt out?

Just realize this, maybe we have missed Dipoto's master plan after all.  Scioscia is contracted four five more years.  So why not give him the crappiest starting pitching in the history of the game and force him to leave?

Genius.....Dipoto....just genius.

Mike Scioscia for what its worth would be the most sought after managerial candidate if he was to quit.  He would have a managerial job as soon as he wanted one.  The truth is, as much as he drives us crazy, he is still one of the most respected managers in the game.  As far as whether or not he would get paid like he is currently getting paid, I would say it would be close. I think he would probably be the highest paid manager in the sport, especially if that is what it would take for the Dodgers to get him.  Before you all blast me about whether or not he should be, read what I wrote.  I am not saying he should be, I am just saying he will be.  Go ahead and blast me now. 

Mike Scioscia for what its worth would be the most sought after managerial candidate if he was to quit.  He would have a managerial job as soon as he wanted one.  The truth is, as much as he drives us crazy, he is still one of the most respected managers in the game.  As far as whether or not he would get paid like he is currently getting paid, I would say it would be close. I think he would probably be the highest paid manager in the sport, especially if that is what it would take for the Dodgers to get him.  Before you all blast me about whether or not he should be, read what I wrote.  I am not saying he should be, I am just saying he will be.  Go ahead and blast me now. 

I agree with you.  Fans vent and need to blame failure on simple things like the manager.  But reality is despite what many think of Sosh, he would not be unemployed for long.  I am sure the Dogs would love to get him!

From a business standpoint (yes baseball is a business), letting Scioscia go would be a disaster for Arte's master plan. Arte's master plan is for the Angels to be the premier team in the LA region. Unfortunately his HUGE opportunity to do this was in the last 3 years while Dodgers ownership floundered that team. If the Angels dominated and won a WS in the last three years that might have happened for Arte.

Now come to the present. The Angels are still not the premier team in LA but the Angels hold one card that are still keeping them in the game and it's Scioscia. If the Angels let Scioscia go, he will be hired by the Dodgers the same day. And..the Dodgers would win a WS with Scioscia as manager guaranteed and that would then make the Angels permenantly irrelevant in the LA market. Arte would lose millions and millions if this happens.

The fire Scioscia pundits don't realize how good he is. Two manager of the year awards and several runner ups. A WS victory, first for Angels. Many western division titles, 3 consecutive. 6 playoff appearances in his forst 10 years (first manager to do this). Until Scioscia arrived theAngels never had any success other than a few divison titles and a first round exit every time.

I am amazed that people are not calling Dipoto out. He is very inexperienced as a GM, has decimated our farm system, and has thrown a bunch of highly qualified players together that can't seem to play together. A GM should be able to see some of these intangibles. I don't think any of us can pinpoint why this team is not clicking but a very experienced baseball person should see it and should have foreseen it. I put that on Dipoto. I hope we get rid of Dipoto soon and try someone new. He has wasted Arte's money on the bad decisions he has made. That is not on Scioscia.