• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia's Contract

The fire Scioscia pundits don't realize how good he is. Two manager of the year awards and several runner ups. A WS victory, first for Angels. Many western division titles, 3 consecutive. 6 playoff appearances in his forst 10 years (first manager to do this).

And there it is

Can you explain how you can guarantee that the Dodgers would win a WS with Scioscia managing?  I'd love to hear how.

If the Angels let Scioscia go, he will be hired by the Dodgers the same day. And..the Dodgers would win a WS with Scioscia as manager guaranteed and that would then make the Angels permenantly irrelevant in the LA market.

His value as a manager is still high.  He could opt out and still get a good deal.  

Agree. My guess is the view many GMs and owners have about Scioscia's ability to manage a Major League team is very different, and much more favorable, than many of the Angelswin.com posters.

After he leaves the Angels I couldn't care less where he ends up, but that is my opinion. My guess YK, he will explain it the same way the others explain that Scioscia is losing on purpose, because "there is no other explanation".

Agree. My guess is the view many GMs and owners have about Scioscia's ability to manage a Major League team is very different, and much more favorable, than many of the Angelswin.com posters.

At some point that doesn't really matter though. It doesn't look like he is managing this team well and it could be better for both parties to part ways. It certainly isn't all his fault but I wonder if he has just lost touch with this team. If he has you have to get rid of him no matter his perceived coaching abilities.

At some point that doesn't really matter though. It doesn't look like he is managing this team well and it could be better for both parties to part ways. It certainly isn't all his fault but I wonder if he has just lost touch with this team. If he has you have to get rid of him no matter his perceived coaching abilities.

Yea, I agree with this. You guys can get pissed that Rodney was performing at a very high level last year, or that Wells is performing at a high level this year, both after they left the Angels. However the point is that neither did that here for whatever reason. The same could be said about Scioscia these days. He very well could still go out and win a championship with another team next season. We could get another Manager and struggle to make the playoffs. That doesn't mean letting Scioscia go was the wrong choice, nor does it mean Mike was mailing it in this year. It just is what it is, and if you've played the game you understand that. One day you can hit three line drives right at people, and the next day you can get three hits on weak pop ups or slow rollers. It's one of the things that make this game so wonderful.

Dipoto only finished the farm system destruction that Moreno and Reagins were largely responsible for.

I'll say it again about Scioscia.   Managers can lose their effectiveness at overseeing a team after many years.

How many managers have managed one team beyond 14 seasons?    Not many

Maybe he would succeed elsewhere with a fresh start, but it doesn't mean it would happen here under his watch.

A fresh coaching staff is likely needed.  

Yea, I agree with this. You guys can get pissed that Rodney was performing at a very high level last year, or that Wells is performing at a high level this year, both after they left the Angels. However the point is that neither did that here for whatever reason. The same could be said about Scioscia these days. He very well could still go out and win a championship with another team next season. We could get another Manager and struggle to make the playoffs. That doesn't mean letting Scioscia go was the wrong choice, nor does it mean Mike was mailing it in this year. It just is what it is, and if you've played the game you understand that. One day you can hit three line drives right at people, and the next day you can get three hits on weak pop ups or slow rollers. It's one of the things that make this game so wonderful.

Well said.

The majority who want to fire Scioscia think it will result it more wins. It may or may not but there is more

to this decision for Arte than just wins. There is business as well as the in town competition he has with the Dodgers.

I have no doubt that he would find a new job very quickly if it came to that. I don't think he would get anywhere near the kind of money his deal here gives him though.

And I agree with whoever said it: If Arte thinks it's time for Scioscia to move on, the possibility of the Dodgers hiring him and winning shouldn't impact that decision in any meaningful way. The organization needs to focus more on their mess, and less on comparing dick size with the Dodgers.

Well said.

The majority who want to fire Scioscia think it will result it more wins. It may or may not but there is more

to this decision for Arte than just wins. There is business as well as the in town competition he has with the Dodgers.

I hate the Dodgers with a passion but that isn't a reason to keep Scioscia or not. The Dodgers winning a World Series would not result in the Dodgers being the permanently dominant team in the LA metro team, after all the Angels could win a few after that and gain a whole bunch of fans. Moreno doesn't need to worry about the Dodgers, just his own squad. 

Can you explain how you can guarantee that the Dodgers would win a WS with Scioscia managing? I'd love to hear how.

Obviously I can't guarantee and its just my opinion. However, with that said, the way I would back it up it the fact that he is still one of the best managers in the game, his track record proves that. He has won significantly more than he has lost. He is still relatively young and if he ends up wit he Dodgers I would expect it to be a long tenure and I would expect him to continue to win and go to the playoffs like he has in the last 10 years. Also, the Dodgers have a rich baseball history and record of going to the WS and winning in the last manyl decades.

It's my opinion but if Scioscia went to the Dodgers. I would put a Vegas bet in every year for that team to win the WS and within 5-10 years I am certain it would happen based on his winning track record and the winning tradition of the Dodgers franchise.

I hate the Dodgers with a passion but that isn't a reason to keep Scioscia or not. The Dodgers winning a World Series would not result in the Dodgers being the permanently dominant team in the LA metro team, after all the Angels could win a few after that and gain a whole bunch of fans. Moreno doesn't need to worry about the Dodgers, just his own squad.

If you examine Arte's history especially in the area of marketing. He is very worried about it. It may be the wrong approach but he believes in that vision. I don't think it would ever happen for the Angels ( to be the dominant fan popular team in the LA metro area) unless they won titles consistently and the Dodgers didn't win. If that happened over a decade or two, the younger fan base in my opinion would become loyal more to the Angels as every fan wans to be associated with a winner. It takes a lot of time however and up until three years ago the Angels were making huge strides to win the battle of LA. The Dodgers still are not winning but if you give the choice to LA fans over both teams right now the majority will take the Dodgers. Arte is intent on turning this around.

The marketing in LA County (which except for part of the 562 is a dominant Dodgers area) is not because he is worried about the Dodgers, it's because Moreno sees a chance to win fans outside of the Angels base area of Orange County and to a lesser extent Riverside County.