• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

50-50

That's our record 100 games in with 62 to play...a nice round number.

So, to get to 90 wins, they need to go 40-22, a .645 win percentage.  That's not legendary but would be significant for this team and counter to what we've seen of them since game number 16 in Kansas City.

A couple things working in their favor:

- Skaggs, Tropeano, Heaney, and Barria make up a solid 4 while Felix Pena and Deck McGuire give them depth at the 5th spot.  Ohtani's injury turned out to be less severe than Richards and they are moving him slowly towards a September return.  Shoemaker is throwing from 90 feet and, if we can get him back for August/September, they will have a lot of arms in the BP who can throw multiple innings.

- The offense, as shown today, has the ability to hit for extra bases and score runs when it's going good.  Calhoun has had a 1.000+ OPS since he came back from the DL including working some walks in the lead off spot.  Simmons and Trout has struggled in July but both can provide OBP and extra base power.  Upton hasn't shown us his best and has put up possibly the quietest 20 HRs I've ever seen.  He's capable of an .850-.900 OPS in a season.  Pujols has played on "1 1/2 legs" this season and still improved from last year.  The rest may benefit him but the greatest gift in his return may be less Valbuena.  With Ohtani back now to DH, they have a solid 1-6 in the line-up who can now hit for power with Maldonado and Kinsler chipping in when they can.  

- The schedule itself is not necessarily easy, as we still be a solid helping of OAK and HOU, but there are no more BOS or NYY to play and we get the last stretch of 7 games at home against Texas and Oakland.  The upside is they are playing the teams ahead of them in the division and the WC so they have a chance to somewhat determine their own fate...or at least make it interesting.

So in your mind what should this angels team do this year at the deadline? Trade off players and play for next year or trade minor leaguers to help for a post season push? I know my answer but curious with your post what you suggest the angels do. 

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So in your mind what should this angels team do this year at the deadline? Trade off players and play for next year or trade minor leaguers to help for a post season push? I know my answer but curious with your post what you suggest the angels do. 

I think it comes down to these next 7 games against CHI and SEA.  If they win 5 or 6 out of 7, I think Eppler makes a minor move to improve the rotation, maybe someone Fiers from DET who can give us depth in the rotation so they can take some of the workload off Barria and allow Pena to either be a 6th starter or long relief.  If they go even 4-3 and lose the series against SEA, I think Eppler sees what he can get for Parker, Bedrosian, and/or Alvarez and takes his chances with what's in-house the rest of the way. 

Either way, though, I still think Eppler pursues trades but with eye towards 2019/2020 regardless of the of the record prior to the deadline.

I know people are shouting "Sell! Sell!" but there is not much TO sell, and Eppler is not going to trade the prospect currency he's built up to this point on what amounts to a long shot either way.  The play is either give up secondary prospects on rentals that could help this season if we show some life the next week or hold your cards, make the longterm play and see if you can be competitive with your own talent coming off the DL.

14 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

They should sell. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to trade for a rental. Get whatever you can for the bullpen pieces you have then reload in the off-season. 

You don’t sell shit until the deadline ... it’s not like we’re chasing Houston for the WC. We’re chasing Seattle and Oakland ... doesn’t get any better that that. 

If the team gets within  6 games of the WC by the deadline, BUY! 

On a side note  ... Angles play Houston seven more times in Houston. Ouch

4 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You don’t sell shit until the deadline ... it’s not like we’re chasing Houston for the WC. We’re chasing Seattle and Oakland ... doesn’t get any better that that. 

I'm so glad our gm doesn't think like you.  

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

They should sell. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to trade for a rental. Get whatever you can for the bullpen pieces you have then reload in the off-season. 

I’m more likely in your boat than buying anything. At 50-50 this team is what it is. No need buying rental players and selling even 2nd tier prospects right now. Baseball prospects are a crap shoot anyway. I would much rather sell off the Kinslers and pieces that do not have a place on this roster next year. See what the third baseman first baseman and Fletcher can do the rest of the way through. See if they are future assets and fixtures in the lineup going forward or not. This is probably the last off-season Eppler gets and Trout has 2 years left so it’s now or never. 

Guys we are only 10 games bac.... ahhhhh  the F am I kidding, we've sucked since the 2rd week of the season.... why the F is Valbuena still on the Roster? Why is Kinsler still in the line-up, why is Mike scioscia still the manger of the team when guys like girardi and matheny have been fired? So many why's on the team, Why?

17 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

We're actually chasing the Rays.

We're done dude. Trade the pen away.