• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would anyone else have the guts to throw Ohtani into right field?

29 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think long term he will need to play in the field to really be valuable offensively. I understand not wanting him to focus on defense in addition to both pitching and hitting, but everyone needs to be open to the idea, even if its just dipping his toes in.

Maybe 1B eventually, but i wouldnt want him playing in the outfield.

Id still prefer he DHs 5 games a week. Problem is pujols, and its not changing in the near future.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Id still prefer he DHs 5 games a week. Problem is pujols, and its not changing in the near future.

I agree. Maybe at some point 1B.... RF I do not have the balls for that... at least not yet.... probably never will.

Just now, Griffey's Corner said:

I agree. Maybe at some point 1B.... RF I do not have the balls for that... at least not yet.... probably never will.

With the luck weve had in SPs the last few years simply pitching, im almost tempted to never let Ohtani hit or pitch. Just keep him in his box and sell him on ebay 20 years from now to a bigger nerd than us. A nerd with money.

he's an amazing player. At what point if his pitching is around a 4.00 ERA..... but he really can hit for a .340 BA & 40 HR's a year over a full season of at bats. 

That would be like Mike Trout numbers..... would we really bench Mike Trout for half the season to let him pitch to a tune of an average ERA? 

For the record I believe Shohei is a better pitcher than that. I want to be really clear in light of some of the special cases on this forum.

59 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

No way I would risk him in the outfield even though he can. 

Risk him?

Trout, Calhoun and Upton have not been injured from defensive type plays on the ball. 

Stop being a pussy with this kid. 

He's 23 years old for crying out loud. 

Ohtani has a 4.10 ERA after making his first five career starts against 4 of the top 10 offensive teams in the majors. 

I don’t think he’s an “average pitcher.”

I also don’t think the injury risk is the primary reason he’s not playing the OF. It’s a lot of extra strain on the legs, standing out there and squatting every pitch and running. He’s already doing more than every other player in the majors. Plus he’s going to have to practice to be good. 

Also, I really don’t think he has any desire to do it. He stopped doing it in Japan and, by all accounts, had little interest in playing in the NL.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

^^^This^^^ At some point, Albert will not be able to play 1b and will need to full time DH....and that is when the rubber will meet the road....

1 hour ago, Griffey's Corner said:

he's an amazing player. At what point if his pitching is around a 4.00 ERA..... but he really can hit for a .340 BA & 40 HR's a year over a full season of at bats. 

That would be like Mike Trout numbers..... would we really bench Mike Trout for half the season to let him pitch to a tune of an average ERA? 

For the record I believe Shohei is a better pitcher than that. I want to be really clear in light of some of the special cases on this forum.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ohtani has a 4.10 ERA after making his first five career starts against 4 of the top 10 offensive teams in the majors. 

I don’t think he’s an “average pitcher.”

I also don’t think the injury risk is the primary reason he’s not playing the OF. It’s a lot of extra strain on the legs, standing out there and squatting every pitch and running. He’s already doing more than every other player in the majors. Plus he’s going to have to practice to be good. 

Also, I really don’t think he has any desire to do it. He stopped doing it in Japan and, by all accounts, had little interest in playing in the NL.

Wow! Did I not say "For the record I believe Shohei is a better pitcher than that.... better pitcher than average.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Well, Trout can't pitch so you're really not making any valid argument. 

The argument is IF... big if Shohei can put up Mike Trout numbers do you risk benching Shohei half the time.... It has nothing to do with whether Mike Trout can pitch.... THE POINT is if you have a player who can put up Trout numbers do you have him sit half the time.... whatever the reason.

Do you guys drink a lot during the games?

57 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Risk him?

Trout, Calhoun and Upton have not been injured from defensive type plays on the ball. 

Stop being a pussy with this kid. 

He's 23 years old for crying out loud. 

With this I do agree. quit making these guys out to be a bunch of wimps. They are young and can handle a lot. If you treat someone like a baby than they will act like a baby. The other day someone made a post as to why baseball players do not hustle.... because they could hurt themselves..... I do not see football players not hustle because of the off chance they might pull a muscle.

No, not at all.  We're already asking the guy to dominate MLB hitters and dominate MLB pitchers.  He's being asked to do more than any other player in this sport, and he's a rookie.  I mean seriously, how many legitimate dual threats have we seen over the course of MLB history?

He's been amazing, but let's just have him focus on those two for now.  If we happen to go on an awesome postseason run and make the World Series, then we'll give him a crash course at a position and have him man it on the fly in the World Series.  Until then though, forget it.

What i hope does not happen is he hits .330 on the season & only gets 300 plate appearances.... I think that would be a shame.

And also for the record we still have a very small sample size of everything so moving slowly is probably cool..... for awhile.

I am just saying if he keeps hitting the crap out of the baseball..... what than?

7 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

What i hope does not happen is he hits .330 on the season & only gets 300 plate appearances.... I think that would be a shame.

And also for the record we still have a very small sample size of everything so moving slowly is probably cool..... for awhile.

I am just saying if he keeps hitting the crap out of the baseball..... what than?

It's a long shot that he is as valuable as a DH as he is a pitcher... unless he is not nearly as good of a pitcher as he has looked thus far.

12 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

It would be a shame if he was only a DH, but he's not.  If he gets 300 PAs + 20-25 starts as a pitcher, then that's a pretty full season for any player, don't you think? 

Keep in mind too he was injured most of last year and did not player much.  So just as we would with a player returning from injury, you want to exercise caution with his utilization.  He's 23 and in his rookie season with us.  No need to push the pedal to the metal right away.  We have many, many years to enjoy this kid - patience :)

1 hour ago, Griffey's Corner said:

If he DH's 5 times a week I am fine with that. I probably would never want him to play OF..... maybe in time a little 1B.

If he only pitches on Sundays, he will be available to DH Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday... That has him playing 5 days a week. That in addition to getting his bullpen work in between pitching starts. Seems to me that makes him valuable enough. He is making $29.4M less than Trout so I think he is earning his pay.