• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would anyone else have the guts to throw Ohtani into right field?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The other day when Ohtani PH for Blash I think they should have left him out there in RF for the rest of the game.

I probably wouldn't start him in RF on a regular basis.

Only problem with this is that you can't just thrust him in there once in a blue moon and expect him to be diligent or competent in that position.  He would need lots of practice and reps in the field as well.  This is not your local rec softball league :)

23 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Maybe 1B eventually, but i wouldnt want him playing in the outfield.

Id still prefer he DHs 5 games a week. Problem is pujols, and its not changing in the near future.

I dont think its Pujols stopping him from DHing 5 times a week.  I think its Scioscia not wanting to over use him.

22 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Wow! Did I not say "For the record I believe Shohei is a better pitcher than that.... better pitcher than average.

The argument is IF... big if Shohei can put up Mike Trout numbers do you risk benching Shohei half the time.... It has nothing to do with whether Mike Trout can pitch.... THE POINT is if you have a player who can put up Trout numbers do you have him sit half the time.... whatever the reason.

Do you guys drink a lot during the games?

With this I do agree. quit making these guys out to be a bunch of wimps. They are young and can handle a lot. If you treat someone like a baby than they will act like a baby. The other day someone made a post as to why baseball players do not hustle.... because they could hurt themselves..... I do not see football players not hustle because of the off chance they might pull a muscle.

In contact sports like football and even basketball to a degree you risk serious injury by playing soft.  If you dont hustle in football your likely to get you legs broke because your opponent is going to kill ya.  Baseball isn't a contact sport.   Your not going to get hurt jogging down the line.

8 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

If closer and right field are still a problem come playoff time, I think Ohtani should be everyday RF/Closer in the playoffs.  I doubt he would hurt himself in RF unless he tries to be a hero. Also, I've seen the way Shohei warms up, doesn't really throw it that hard.  Saves his energy for the game.

I assume we are going to be playing a one game wild card, and I assume Ohtani will be starting in NY or Bos for that one game playoff.

9 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

If closer and right field are still a problem come playoff time, I think Ohtani should be everyday RF/Closer in the playoffs.  I doubt he would hurt himself in RF unless he tries to be a hero. Also, I've seen the way Shohei warms up, doesn't really throw it that hard.  Saves his energy for the game.

Just have a permanent shift (teams seem to be doing that anyway), so the only thing Ohtani would have to do is catch and throw the ball.

13 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Not sure I follow.  Are you talking about the shallow right fielder in the LH batter shift?

Something like this where he would just play the "2B" position in this diagram and not run or move.  Just catch and throw.  Let the rest of the players around him run around.

Image result for baseball shift

Looking back at that, it's pretty amazing that the Cardinals had 4 WS appearances in 5 years from 1942-1946, with 3 championships.

Williams had a great year in 1946 and won the MVP award but had a bad WS against the Cards when they employed that shift.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

What exactly is the big risk?  Are you talking about his arm or the insane hazard of catching fly balls?

In asking him to do something he hasn't done in years, I would say it' would be a risk to his arms , legs, body . . . 

any and all of it

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

What exactly is the big risk?  Are you talking about his arm or the insane hazard of catching fly balls?

Just play the Williams Shift (which will now be called the Ohtani shift) and have Ohtani (2B) sit down on the ball girl's chair.

Image result for baseball shift

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Look at it this way, if he's in the outfield and crashing up against walls or making diving plays and hurts his shoulder? How about conversely he plays defense way too passively and gives up hits that a normal outfielder would easily be able to handle? I think he's being played perfectly right now.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Look at it this way, if he's in the outfield and crashing up against walls or making diving plays and hurts his shoulder? How about conversely he plays defense way too passively and gives up hits that a normal outfielder would easily be able to handle? I think he's being played perfectly right now.

If he plays the Conway position in the Ted Williams shift he wouldn't have to move.  So that eliminates crashing into walls or diving on his shoulder.