• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rockies (5/9/2018)

I think giving Barria the early hook is an example of what could be a cumulative effect in the bullpen. We saw what happened the other night when Scioscua went to the well one too many times with Anderson. There’s only so many shuttles we can utilize between Anaheim and Salt Lake. Keep pulling the starters too early and the bullpen becomes overworked. So it worked out this once. This is not a case of “the ends justify the means”. Over time, it could lead to a huge problem.

Just now, Mark68 said:

I think giving Barria the early hook is an example of what could be a cumulative effect in the bullpen. We saw what happened the other night when Scioscua went to the well one too many times with Anderson. There’s only so many shuttles we can utilize between Anaheim and Salt Lake. Keep pulling the starters too early and the bullpen becomes overworked. So it worked out this once. This is not a case of “the ends justify the means”. Over time, it could lead to a huge problem.

Or they put more value on the starters and try to take care of their arms more.  

25 minutes ago, stormngt said:

So Barria hasn't been pitching over 90 pitches in AAA?  That would make sense.

My honest guess would be in this new era of baseball, we are moving away from the golden standard of 100 pitches in a game, because more and more SPs are getting hurt.  Yes, you are correct, Barria has not suffered a significant injury in the past.  However, he's young and he's pitching in a very tough environment today.  

A lot of prospects these days throw 75-80 pitches in a game, then get pulled.  This is the overall trend I am noticing.  

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

You don't think it did because it worked. 

We need our starters to go 6 innings. They do that worse than any team in baseball.

Barria went as far as it was considered prudent by those that know every little detail about what he can or can't do. 

I never like pitchers yanked at one or two outs in the inning with what seems like plenty of pitching left in their arm but I did notice Barria not happy with his lack of control on a couple of his last pitches. I'm sure the dugout was plotting his velocity and error margin much closer than we did. 

In the end I'd like to see Barria pitch more this season. If that means he gets yanked in the 6th after shutting out the opposing team, I'll cope. Better than forearm tightness and losing him for weeks or more. 

9 minutes ago, red321 said:

People are actually trying to make an issue out of Scioscia pulling a 21 yr. rookie starter, who is going to be a major part of the rotation, who has never thrown more than 140 innings in a season, making his 4th start in the big leagues, at 90 pitches during his 3rd run through the lineup?

Scioscia haters are really having to reach this year...it's somewhat impressive

image.gif

2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Or they put more value on the starters and try to take care of their arms more.  

I understand that. But Barria had thrown what...83 pitches? Would it have been that dangerous to have him complete the inning (or to pull him if someone else reached)? Instead, you bring in a rookie to throw some pretty high-stress pitches AND burn a bench player in the process.