• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rockies (5/9/2018)

6 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I just freakin said this! Look at Scioscia turning it around. Give this man an extension!

I know you and I go round and round about this stuff, but Scioscia has evolved.  He isn’t perfect and never will be, but the nonsense that he is the worst or below average is simply not true.  

Trout is having a monster year... the Angels need to maximize this by getting men on base in front of him.  I know that's obvious.  I'm just glad to see the move taking place.  It would have been tragic for Trout to not have more RBI opportunities.  Again, it's all very obvious.

AND... I just don't like Kinsler.  It's like when the Lakers signed Karl Malone and Gary Payton... They can change uniforms - but they're still the same person.  I'd love to see the Angels move on from this Kinsler experiment some how..

Just now, SuperTroopers said:

I know you and I go round and round about this stuff, but Scioscia has evolved.  He isn’t perfect and never will be, but the nonsense that he is the worst or below average is simply not true.  

I've literally never said he's the worst. I've acknowledged many times that he's much quicker to make necessary moves than in years past. My gripe with him is his lack of urgency with his micro game. His decision making in game is well below my expectations of a manager when given the opportunity to do things differently. I'm not saying he can make guys like Calhoun hit or relievers give up homeruns but he can effectively remove their lack of production by sitting him out or pulling the plug quicker (which is what he's doing now). He has the ability to control the damage. Over the course of 162 I understand that we wont win every game, but there are opportunities to make adjustments and correct things not going your way.

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

Trout is having a monster year... the Angels need to maximize this by getting men on base in front of him.  I know that's obvious.  I'm just glad to see the move taking place.  It would have been tragic for Trout to not have more RBI opportunities.  Again, it's all very obvious.

I completely agree. I think Trout should be batting 3rd for that very reason.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I've literally never said he's the worst. I've acknowledged many times that he's much quicker to make necessary moves than in years past. My gripe with him is his lack of urgency with his micro game. His decision making in game is well below my expectations of a manager when given the opportunity to do things differently. I'm not saying he can make guys like Calhoun hit or relievers give up homeruns but he can effectively remove their lack of production by sitting him out or pulling the plug quicker (which is what he's doing now). He has the ability to control the damage. Over the course of 162 I understand that we wont win every game, but there are opportunities to make adjustments and correct things not going your way.

Fair enough, and when we were constantly winning 90 games, it was because it was easy to control the damage because there were actual talented players to come in and play.  Now our choices in the pen are lousy.  Our choices in the infield are Valbuena, Marte.  Our choice in the outfield is Kole or Young or Blash.  None of these guys are any good.  I am surprised Kole isn’t starting, because at least we know one thing, he can play defense.  When I am deciding between two players and I am unsure, I take the one with the most obvious major league skill set.  So last year I wanted Cowart at 3rd over Yunel, because he could play defense at a major league level.  

So basically what I am saying is Scioscia won because he had talent.  The same reason they aren’t winning is lack of talent or flawed roster.  

11 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

You crack me up ... you’re always seem to be on the defensive about Sosh. No need to be ... no manager is perfect. Sosh is one of the best imo. 

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

You crack me up ... you’re always seem to be on the defensive about Sosh. No need to be ... no manager is perfect. Sosh is one of the best imo. 

And you always seem to struggle with reading comprehension.  

3 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Fair enough, and when we were constantly winning 90 games, it was because it was easy to control the damage because there were actual talented players to come in and play.  Now our choices in the pen are lousy.  Our choices in the infield are Valbuena, Marte.  Our choice in the outfield is Kole or Young or Blash.  None of these guys are any good.  I am surprised Kole isn’t starting, because at least we know one thing, he can play defense.  When I am deciding between two players and I am unsure, I take the one with the most obvious major league skill set.  So last year I wanted Cowart at 3rd over Yunel, because he could play defense at a major league level.  

So basically what I am saying is Scioscia won because he had talent.  The same reason they aren’t winning is lack of talent or flawed roster.  

IMO, even when they are winning 90 games, there were still plenty of wins left on the table. I think you can always squeeze a little more juice out of the lemon. I'm by no means saying that 90 wins isn't what we should be aiming for, but the difference between 90 wins and 94 wins could be the difference between the WC and the division. On a macro level I think Scioscia is a great manager in that he has the intangibles and experience to control a clubhouse. Its his micro game that I have hated for years. Sure he will be a HOF manager, but I think he could have been up there with the best to do it had he made a few more adjustments. For instance, if what he's done through this 35 games been done for the last 10 years I think we could have done more damage.

year

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If Kinsler continues to suck at the bottom of the order, he needs to get the Calhoun treatment and get replaced by Fletcher.

I agree 100%. If it weren't for his defense he'd have been gone a long time ago. Although based on his track record I have a feeling he'll get a longer leash than Espinosa. So we have that to look forward to lol.

16 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

The Angels have zero postseason wins since 2009.  I think that makes him below average, none with Trout.

I had a great conversation last night with a Rockies fan about Nolan Arenado's contract ending at the end of the year and how all the Angels fans are super excited to have him come back home to Orange County and play for the Halos.  How awesome the line-up will be with Trout, Ohtaini and Arenado in the line-up.

The Rockies won the game, but that fan left stressed.