• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Prepare to Blasht off...

55 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I just can't imagine that swing staying on time for anything more than very brief periods.  

I've never understood why a guy like him who has such tremendous power doesn't take a wide base and shorten up his stroke.  

Every player has to do what fits them doc. Swinging a bat isn't a one size fits all activity. Otherwise, why won't every stocky hitter use a short armed swing like Trout? Why doesn't every lean, athletic type swing like Griffey from the left side? 

ANY swing can work as long as the hitter becomes a true expert at it, tinkering when necessary and constantly adjusting it to fit the requirements of success.

Ty Cobb spread his hands for more bat control. Kevin Youkilis found something else that works for him. For Blash, the high kick works, as long as he can get that foot down on time.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Every player has to do what fits them doc. Swinging a bat isn't a one size fits all activity. Otherwise, why won't every stocky hitter use a short armed swing like Trout? Why doesn't every lean, athletic type swing like Griffey from the left side? 

ANY swing can work as long as the hitter becomes a true expert at it, tinkering when necessary and constantly adjusting it to fit the requirements of success.

Ty Cobb spread his hands for more bat control. Kevin Youkilis found something else that works for him. For Blash, the high kick works, as long as he can get that foot down on time.

yeah but there are certain swings that are more likely to produce major league results.  The one he's rockin' right now isn't likely to.  

you should do what puts you in the best position to succeed.  Trout has short arms and uses his lower half so well with a short compact line to the ball.  But the thing about Trout is his eyes.  He sees what other players cannot.  It's he hallmark of all the inner circle hall of famers.   Other guys use amazing mechanics to get them there.  That's how I see someone like Kris Bryant.  Jimmy Edmonds was another.  

I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree about every player finding a swing that works.  It's no different than pitching mechanics.  Certain ways work better.  Blash's swing has so many things that need to work right, it's bound to be easily exploited at the major league level.  

4 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Never thought I'd admire a foul ball but jeez.

He has a really high bent leg leg kick.   Almost like he's about to ride a horse.   That's where the power is coming from but Like with Ohtani's high leg kick may make him slower.

Kind of weird.

I think I remember hearing Vlad worked with him a bit during ST, so maybe he's ironed out his swing in a way that allows him to stay consistent - he certainly never slumped in AAA this year aside from an occasional 3 strikeout day. 

I imagine ultimately Chris Young's days are numbered. 

Its kind of awesome how, quietly, this team is staying competitive while undergoing a youth movement. A lot of young players like Barria, Fletcher, Herm, Ohtani, Middleton, etc or optional, controllable depth like Schimpf, Blash, Fernandez are sliding into place this season and next.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think I remember hearing Vlad worked with him a bit during ST, so maybe he's ironed out his swing in a way that allows him to stay consistent - he certainly never slumped in AAA this year aside from an occasional 3 strikeout day. 

I imagine ultimately Chris Young's days are numbered. 

Its kind of awesome how, quietly, this team is staying competitive while undergoing a youth movement. A lot of young players like Barria, Fletcher, Herm, Ohtani, Middleton, etc or optional, controllable depth like Schimpf, Blash, Fernandez are sliding into place this season and next.

It was Vlad's recommendation that Blash bring his feet together and then extend for the swing.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

yeah but there are certain swings that are more likely to produce major league results.  The one he's rockin' right now isn't likely to.  

you should do what puts you in the best position to succeed.  Trout has short arms and uses his lower half so well with a short compact line to the ball.  But the thing about Trout is his eyes.  He sees what other players cannot.  It's he hallmark of all the inner circle hall of famers.   Other guys use amazing mechanics to get them there.  That's how I see someone like Kris Bryant.  Jimmy Edmonds was another.  

I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree about every player finding a swing that works.  It's no different than pitching mechanics.  Certain ways work better.  Blash's swing has so many things that need to work right, it's bound to be easily exploited at the major league level.  

If you're talking about getting into an actual position to hit, then yes, every batter must be in one position before making contact. But the path to get into that position has to be unique to everyone as every single person is made to be different.

And even within the same batter, there are several different swings. Balls in, out, high, low, powering up, intentionally fouling off, two strikes, 3-0 count, it's all different.

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If you're talking about getting into an actual position to hit, then yes, every batter must be in one position before making contact. But the path to get into that position has to be unique to everyone as every single person is made to be different.

And even within the same batter, there are several different swings. Balls in, out, high, low, powering up, intentionally fouling off, two strikes, 3-0 count, it's all different.

Yup and if you have bad eyesight you might have to have a different process than someone who has laser eyesight.

He is going to be the guy who’s claim to fame is he hit a really long foul ball, haha.  Yea, a good fast ball will get past that long ass stride and swing.  He looks MUCH better in the outfield than I expected, so I would give him a week or two and see if his strike out rate will be as high as I worry it will be.  

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Are people saying that pitchers in AAA don't have good fastballs? 

I get what you're saying but the difference is they don't have the command of their breaking pitches that major league pitchers in. It's one thing being able to hit a 97 MPH fastball, it's another thing being able to hit 97 while having to worry about a guy dropping a 75 MPH curve in the strike zone on you. I think that's where he'll struggle personally, but I'm definitely rooting for him

22 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Blash did something today that Calhoun hasn't done since April 11th.  - get on base twice in one game.  

Did you have to put it in such stark, barren terms, Doc?