• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wasn't Turang originally thought a year ago to be a potential #1 overall pick in this draft? 

One note to Jordyn Adams: the slotting system recently instituted has made it pretty much a no brainer for first round picks to sign.   Even if you move up say 12 spots 3 years from now, the money won't be that much more plus you sacrificed 3 years minor league development in the meantime.

Yes he was, but what I've been told is that his performance this year didn't match the expectations (that were ridiculously high), so it chilled the buzz. It's kind of like what happened to Howie Kendrick--the hype was so great that when he didn't realize it, people considered him a failure rather than looking at his very good contributions. 

Turang is still considered a 1st round talent, but lower than where he was projected before the season began.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

0.80 WHIP then for Gilbert, very good WHIP it is.   Do they take the bigger potential of Kowar or Rolison, or the more refined command of Gilbert?

I think Gilbert's heavy FB translates the best moving forward, particularly in the days of three outcomes and launch angles.  An elevated GB/K rate combo for pitchers is typically a tremendous predictor of mlb success.   

Rolison's stuff fluctuations remind me way too much of the issues Chris Bootcheck had coming out of college.   His stuff never fully came back.

2 hours ago, taylorblakeward said:

Someone finally read my latest mock

I'm genuinely embarrassed to admit I wasn't aware you had one out.   

Btw... Glad you're posting here, If I haven't said it before I should go on record now as saying that your scouting reports have tended to match up most closely with those of people in the game that I'm still close to.  I remember when you were the only person online talking up Nate Smith when he came out of Furman.... I had seen him pitch .vs  Samford and Georgia Southern and walked away intrigued but nobody online so much as mentioned him before you.  You've consistently been on guys that ended up being guys before the rest of the people online started copying each other's takes and passing them off as their own insights.  

Props to you  

39 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think Gilbert's heavy FB translates the best moving forward, particularly in the days of three outcomes and launch angles.  An elevated GB/K rate combo for pitchers is typically a tremendous predictor of mlb success.   

Rolison's stuff fluctuations remind me way too much of the issues Chris Bootcheck had coming out of college.   His stuff never fully came back.

Heavy GB pitchers with solid command do play up very well in today's power oriented game.   He sounds like the guy, if still available.

2 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

Scot Shields was a 52nd round pick....not too shabby

You have to wonder if using today's analysis of players, wind back the clock and where does Scott Shields end up being drafted? Or does it pan out close to the same since relievers are usually failed starters or other people players. 

I guess my point is we may still see plenty of late round draft picks make it to the majors, surprising everyone that ranked them as just minor league filler.

Edited by Blarg

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Because the latter probably gets selected somewhere in the first 15 picks. Maybe even the top 10.

Nope, TBW has Turang going at #29 to Cleveland.  I understand this is only a mock draft, but in the scenario presented, Turang is available.

4 minutes ago, oater said:

Nope, TBW has Turang going at #29 to Cleveland.  I understand this is only a mock draft, but in the scenario presented, Turang is available.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm genuinely embarrassed to admit I wasn't aware you had one out.   

Btw... Glad you're posting here, If I haven't said it before I should go on record now as saying that your scouting reports have tended to match up most closely with those of people in the game that I'm still close to.  I remember when you were the only person online talking up Nate Smith when he came out of Furman.... I had seen him pitch .vs  Samford and Georgia Southern and walked away intrigued but nobody online so much as mentioned him before you.  You've consistently been on guys that ended up being guys before the rest of the people online started copying each other's takes and passing them off as their own insights.  

Props to you  

Thanks Inside Pitch, just gotta watch, listen and report. If you see something you like, you should be able to comment on it and ask questions about it. You usually get an answer that is close to what you've seen or believe.