• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

Madrigal is a consensus top 3 pick, I really don't think he drops to 17. 

All these college arms that the Angels have been linked to are really underwhelming besides Logan Gilbert. His velo and stuff is trending back up, so there's a good chance he'll be off the board by the time the Angels get to pick, which would totally blow. I'm hoping for Gilbert in the 1st round and Trevor Larnach in the 2nd ?

On 5/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, Inside Pitch said:

So...   Which MLB team bites the bullet and drafts this kid... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/sports/luke-heimlich-sex-crime.html   The entire situation is pretty sketchy...    Here are a couple other links.. https://deadspin.com/mlb-prospect-luke-heimlich-denies-molesting-his-niece-1825831942 https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/16/luke-heimlich-oregon-state

As part of his probation, he cant go to the minors...

Dont draft a guy named heimlich, he'll probably choke.

Alright. Stupid jokes out of the way.

I cant see any team taking him PR fallout would be unreal. But at the same time, the talent is obviously there...

I hate to say it, but Im sure hed be far from the first MLBr with a background like that...just the first who was charged 

On May 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Catchers have always had the lowest success rate of any position player in the draft -- HS catchers are even worse.   Yet another reason Jeff Mathis despite his being considered a failure is a massive success story.

you should write a piece about it 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As part of his probation, he cant go to the minors...

Dont draft a guy named heimlich, he'll probably choke.

Alright. Stupid jokes out of the way.

I cant see any team taking him PR fallout would be unreal. But at the same time, the talent is obviously there...

I hate to say it, but Im sure hed be far from the first MLBr with a background like that...just the first who was charged 

and convicted 

7 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

It would surprise me a little bit as well, as we are a long way down from where he is most likely going to get picked. He's supposed to be a gold glove capable 2B with the best hit tool in the draft. A young Kinsler has been bandied about as a comp. That's something that could tempt me from some of the pitching that should be available to us.

he doesn't have kinsler's power.  I just don't see a scenario where he's available though.  

7 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Yes, you take the BPA. But, what does he offer that Trent Deveaux doesn't already offer in the system? Both are 80 runners. Both are comparable hitters. Like you, I'd be thrilled to get him in the 2nd round, but would much rather add a top pitcher or someone like Madrigal in the 1st.

more power potential than deveaux.  He's a tremendous athlete which eppler likes.  why does he have to bring something different anyway?  If deveaux is going to be that good, why not have two of them?  

3 hours ago, Lou said:

you should write a piece about it 

I could, but really all that needs to be said is that catchers are the position with the lowest success rate in all the minors and that the odds of a HS catcher making it are uglier than that of a college catcher.    Here's the neato keen part -- among all positions that do make it... catchers tend to be the better bets to put up 2 WAR seasons.

Basically, if you're a starting everyday C at the MLB, your'e pretty elite.

I know he won't be available when the Angels select, but I was looking over the position players projected to go in the first round, scouting for fantasy baseball purposes oddly enough when I came across....

Alec Bohm

The extension, the power, the bat speed, the short path to the ball, the contact ability, the projectable frame, the gamer disposition. 

He's the best college bat I've seen in the last three years, since Benintendi, might be the best I've seen in five years since Kris Bryant  who was so far above his peers it was ridiculous.

He's considerably better than Senzel and will be a star someday.

Which puts me in an interesting position. I have five minor league reserves, and number five on my list is none other than Brandon Marsh. Bohm's ETA is about the same as Marsh, but I'll have first pick and need to decide if I'll stick with Marsh or go with Bohm.

Decisions, decisions...

FG Mock draft 3.0 https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-3-0/

17. Los Angeles Angels – Jordyn Adams, CF, Green Hope HS (NC)

The Angels were seen as a landing spot for Gilbert when his stuff was down midseason, but he’s bounced back and is off the board here. Los Angeles and Kansas City behind them seem to be the floor for Adams. The Angels had been somewhat risk-averse in their first draft under GM Billy Eppler, then riskier picks like Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, and Griffin Canning have all worked out better than expected, so it appears their risk tolerance has shifted. Jackson is a target in the second round.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

FG Mock draft 3.0 https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-3-0/

17. Los Angeles Angels – Jordyn Adams, CF, Green Hope HS (NC)

The Angels were seen as a landing spot for Gilbert when his stuff was down midseason, but he’s bounced back and is off the board here. Los Angeles and Kansas City behind them seem to be the floor for Adams. The Angels had been somewhat risk-averse in their first draft under GM Billy Eppler, then riskier picks like Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, and Griffin Canning have all worked out better than expected, so it appears their risk tolerance has shifted. Jackson is a target in the second round.

I get the whole best player available debate, but I think at some point you have to ask yourself, is Hermosillo, Adell, Marsh and Deveaux enough? 

Yeah popcorn in the pan, some pop and some don't, but even if Calhoun is toast and Mike Trout signs elsewhere, we still have the prospect depth to try and cover those spots.

Plus, I think the Angels were chasing upside with Marsh and Adell, planning for a potential future without Trout, but at this point they've covered themselves as good as one team ever could.

I don't see the Angels drafting another prep outfielder in the first round this year.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I could, but really all that needs to be said is that catchers are the position with the lowest success rate in all the minors and that the odds of a HS catcher making it are uglier than that of a college catcher.    Here's the neato keen part -- among all positions that do make it... catchers tend to be the better bets to put up 2 WAR seasons.

Basically, if you're a starting everyday C at the MLB, your'e pretty elite.

That will do. 

Thanks. 

Last year, the Angels were very heavily connected to Jo Adell at #10. The industry really caught on because of the amount of scouts and execs the Angels sent to watch him.

This year, no one really knows who the Angels take. They've been the most connected with Kowar, but I feel like that's less about inside info and more about educated guessing.

So with the draft tomorrow who do we all want the Angels to choose ? I have not paid much attention this year's but I hear since the draft is considered college pitcher heavy some may fall.

Logan Gilbert

Shane McClanahan

Ryan Rolison

Jackson Kowar

My favorite player this draft is 3B Alec Bohm.  

As far as the players I'd be happy to see the Angels pick up...

Prep LHP Ryan Weathers

Collegiate LHP Shane McClanahan

Prep RHP Cole Winn

Prep 3B/1B Tristan Casas

Collegiate RHP Jackson Kowar

I'm really not a big fan of Logan Gilbert.  His off-speed pitches all grade out about average and while he has good control, his command of his pitches leaves a lot to be desired.  He leaves the ball over the middle of the plate more than you'd like.  

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Last year, the Angels were very heavily connected to Jo Adell at #10. The industry really caught on because of the amount of scouts and execs the Angels sent to watch him.

This year, no one really knows who the Angels take. They've been the most connected with Kowar, but I feel like that's less about inside info and more about educated guessing.

I can tell you the Yanks people think the Angels are extremely high on Adams.   One of the Halos cross-checkers was seen at multiple games and apparently they had more than one person at some of his games recently.  The love for Weathers was said to be real but, its now believed he will be gone....   Again from Yankees sources - the Angels are putting an extreme amount of weight on make up and athleticism, which may also keep them away from Adams as some wonder if he's supposedly too caught up in being paid.  There are some whispers the Angels are very high on Bubic out of Stanford in the second round if he's still there.

Fwiw... These were the same two people that told me last year the Angels were leaning heavily towards Adell .... that turned out to be spot on. 

Edited by Inside Pitch