• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

this would be the other guy I'd be thrilled to get.  

Youll be happy to know he's been mentioned as the pick more than once now...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2018-mlb-first-round-mock-draft-auburn-right-hander-projected-to-go-no-1-to-tigers/

17. Los Angeles Angels: LHP Ryan Rolison, Ole Miss

It is rumored to be college pitching all the way for the Angels, and Rolison is the best still on the board here. The southpaw has arguably the best curveball in the draft class, and his deep repertoire includes a low-to-mid-90s heater, a little cutter/slider, and a changeup. Rolison, McClanahan, and Gilbert are all expected to come off the board somewhere in the 11-17 range. The Halos will jump whichever one of them is still available.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2018-mlb-first-round-mock-draft-auburn-right-hander-projected-to-go-no-1-to-tigers/

It is rumored to be college pitching all the way for the Angels, and Rolison is the best still on the board here. The southpaw has arguably the best curveball in the draft class, and his deep repertoire includes a low-to-mid-90s heater, a little cutter/slider, and a changeup. Rolison, McClanahan, and Gilbert are all expected to come off the board somewhere in the 11-17 range. The Halos will jump whichever one of them is still available.

I'd be happy with any of the lefty college pitchers, although, I'm also partial to Orange Lutheran's Winn, a righty pitcher. If we could somehow snag him in the second round . . . 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have a feeling he's gonna go before we have a chance to get him.  

McClanahan is a big risk/reward type with a special arm (can run it up to 100 as a lefty). Has a 4-pitch mix with a plus change. Down side is he has had TJ surgery already, but is back. If he drops to us, he could be well worth it. I'm hoping that we're focusing more on the pitching early on as there are some really good choices there.

The Atlantic has a mock draft up -- another in a long line of great articles over there...   https://theathletic.com/363388/2018/05/22/2018-mlb-mock-draft-casey-mize-goes-no-1-but-who-will-follow/

The Angels bit...

17. Los Angeles Angels (slot value: $3,472,900)
Selection: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida
The Angels aren’t married to a particular type of prospect, as they have vacillated between college and high school picks in the first round in recent years. They’ll have plenty of options at this spot, but Kowar would give them a potentially fast-rising starting pitching prospect to go along with last year’s second-round selection Griffin Canning. Kowar has been overshadowed by Singer this year at Florida, but the right-hander is an excellent prospect in his own right. He has a 2.56 ERA in 81 innings this season and is striking out nearly a batter an inning. He’s pitched on big stages and already has a big league changeup in his arsenal.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Atlantic has a mock draft up -- another in a long line of great articles over there...   https://theathletic.com/363388/2018/05/22/2018-mlb-mock-draft-casey-mize-goes-no-1-but-who-will-follow/

The Angels bit...

17. Los Angeles Angels (slot value: $3,472,900)
Selection: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida
The Angels aren’t married to a particular type of prospect, as they have vacillated between college and high school picks in the first round in recent years. They’ll have plenty of options at this spot, but Kowar would give them a potentially fast-rising starting pitching prospect to go along with last year’s second-round selection Griffin Canning. Kowar has been overshadowed by Singer this year at Florida, but the right-hander is an excellent prospect in his own right. He has a 2.56 ERA in 81 innings this season and is striking out nearly a batter an inning. He’s pitched on big stages and already has a big league changeup in his arsenal.

not feeling the flow with Kowar.  Getting a back of the rotation starter vibe. 

that said, I was pretty down on the Canning pick so WTF do I know.  

On 5/17/2018 at 5:26 PM, Angel Oracle said:

College pitchers in rounds 2-4 would seem to be the anti-Eppler, unless they project as higher ceiling prospects? 

With seemingly every Angels pitcher going through arm issues at some time or another, it may just be a desire to flood the farm with a new wave of 'safe' org arms.

The position player portion of the farm has really come together lately. 

More predictions are out . . . 

From: https://calltothepen.com/2018/05/28/mlb-draft-mock-draft-monday-version-5-1/

17. Los Angeles Angels

LOGAN GILBERT

RHP, Stetson

Stetson
The Angels are looking hard after arms, and with the way Gilbert finished his season, he could have moved himself back into the conversation for this pick over some of the HS arms still on the board.

From: https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2018/5/27/17398330/2018-mlb-draft-who-will-al-west-draft

Los Angeles Angels

Even with having arguably the best player in the game in Mike Trout, competing in the AL West has been quite difficult for the Angels over the last few seasons. A big reason for that has been that they haven’t had a great farm system, which has forced them to sign veteran free agents to try to compete on a year-to-year basis. But, the Angels landed the game’s biggest prospect last winter in two-way star Shohei Ohtani, who has been an immediate sensation in the majors. In addition, their top four prospects — all position players — they either drafted or signed since 2015 have now become Top 100 prospects. So, with the 17th overall pick, they should go after a pitcher, given their history of arm injuries at the major-league level that has prevented them from competing in the postseason for the last three years. Our composite mock has the Halos taking Ryan Weathers in that slot. Other pitchers such as Ryan Rolison and Jackson Kowar have also been mentioned here.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, totdprods said:

With seemingly every Angels pitcher going through arm issues at some time or another, it may just be a desire to flood the farm with a new wave of 'safe' org arms.

The position player portion of the farm has really come together lately. 

Just as long as those college pitchers aren't all high floor, like Dip*ssy loved so much.

With 1 week to go, lots of updated mock drafts out. Griffin Canning and Jaime Barria might have something to say about this . . . 

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2778250-2018-mlb-mock-draft-update-with-1-week-remaining

17. Los Angeles Angels: Ryan Rolison, LHP, Ole Miss

The Angels will likely select a pitcher here, with Ryan Weathers, Logan Gilbert and Jackson Kowar among the other options as some of the second-tier pitching dominos start to fall. Rolison is still improving his pitchability, but he possesses a mid-90s fastball and one of the best curveballs in this year's draft among a developing four-pitch mix. He would immediately become the top pitching prospect in the Angels system. 

Pitchers, pitchers, pitchers, pitchers, all the mock drafts call for the Angels to take a pitcher but will the 17th player picked be another overlooked Adell type player? So many of these arms from last year's draft fizzled while Adell is still impressing. I'd rather the best player available be taken, not just the best arm.

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Pitchers, pitchers, pitchers, pitchers, all the mock drafts call for the Angels to take a pitcher but will the 17th player picked be another overlooked Adell type player? So many of these arms from last year's draft fizzled while Adell is still impressing. I'd rather the best player available be taken, not just the best arm.

I'm just not hearing that this year's draft is as deep in hitters like last year's was. And, it is a lot deeper and better in pitchers. So, it makes sensethat the BPA will be a pitcher. Last year, I was all stoked and hopeful that we would get Adell, and  frankly, couldn't believe that we did. I could see us going after several HS bat's in rounds 2-5,going with more of a higher risk/reward gamble there. 

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

I think they will take BPA -- I think the main reason you are seeing the Halos linked to pitchers is that there is a lot more pitching talent than position player talent.   A lot of the top end HS position players are thought to have taken a step back this year -- there hasn't been a position player do the sort of rapid advancement of their skills Adell showed -- at least not one where the numbers were on par with what were considered the physical schools.   There are a couple FL high school SS's that have missed time with injuries who may end up being better than their draft position.   Consider my opinion to be somewhat ignorant -- where last year I had seen and was on Adell early on, with my preparing to move back to SoCal and a super heavy work load I didn't get to see a lot of amateur baseball..   This is the blindest I've gone into a draft in eons.