• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Good Matt Shoemaker news

Chuck

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

I would think Eppler is already trying to get a read on the pitching trade market for June and July.....

Wonder if he'd go so far as to make a move for Bumgarner. 
http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/18460/olney-giants-should-consider-a-bumgarner-blockbuster

Affordable salary-wise this year and a team-friendly option for next season at $12m. 

Obviously, he'd cost a pretty penny, but his presence sure would stack the team nicely for an October run and give us some options in terms of retaining Richards in the offseason. 

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/18460/olney-giants-should-consider-a-bumgarner-blockbuster

Affordable salary-wise this year and a team-friendly option for next season at $12m. 

Obviously, he'd cost a pretty penny, but his presence sure would stack the team nicely for an October run and give us some options in terms of retaining Richards in the offseason. 

Boy, I would hate to undo some of the good work Eppler has done rebuilding the farm....and it would take a chunk of the farm to get Bumgarner....but it might be the piece (no joke).....

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

We'd have to burn our farm system to get Bumgarner.  The Giants know teams would kill to have an elite, proven shutdown starter like him for the playoffs.  I mean, his legacy is well-earned and cemented.  We have seen him, time and time again, pitch his best when the lights are brightest in October.  I would love to have him (who wouldn't?!) and would probably even overpay to do so, but I think we are talking trading Canning, Adell, plus others for someone like him.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/angels-parker-bridwell-battling-elbow-inflammation/

Bridwell was diagnosed with elbow inflammation Monday, Jeff Fletcher of The Orange County Register reports.

An MRI revealed that Bridwell didn't have any structural damage in his elbow. He'll resume throwing once his bout of inflammation subsides, at which point a timeframe for his eventual activation from the DL should begin to take shape.

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

I would hate to undo some of the good work Eppler has done rebuilding the farm....and it would take a chunk of the farm to get Bumgarner

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I would love to have him (who wouldn't?!) and would probably even overpay to do so, but I think we are talking trading Canning, Adell, plus others for someone like him.

I was working to a reply on this post basically saying that, you know, at this point, I trust Eppler, and I even support him moving top prospect talent if he deems it worth it, because the Simmons deal has worked out so well. And Andrelton just hit his 2nd HR of the night. 

It'll cost a ton, no doubt, but Eppler has worked wonders on the farm, and I imagine he'll keep that up this year and next. Our MLB team is fairly young and locked up, Eppler has shown he has no problem finding cheap, effective, impactful talent (Parker, Maldonado) or building out the farm's upper levels with pseudo-prospects on a shoestring budget (Bridwell, Ramirez, Marte, Meyer, Blash, Almonte, etc.) and someone like Bumgarner really sets this team up nicely for the playoffs in the waning years of Eppler, Trout, and Scioscia's contracts. Madison is still young enough that an extension seems reasonable.

I think by midseason we'll have substantial prospect currency to play with as well, given how guys like Lund, Blash, Fletcher, Thaiss, Ward, Hermosillo, Soriano, Suarez, Barria, Jewell, Castillo, Rodriguez, Pena, Rivas, etc. have emerged. There are a lot of prospects that'd interest the Giants.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I was working to a reply on this post basically saying that, you know, at this point, I trust Eppler, and I even support him moving top prospect talent if he deems it worth it, because the Simmons deal has worked out so well. And Andrelton just hit his 2nd HR of the night. 

It'll cost a ton, no doubt, but Eppler has worked wonders on the farm, and I imagine he'll keep that up this year and next. Our MLB team is fairly young and locked up, Eppler has shown he has no problem finding cheap, effective, impactful talent (Parker, Maldonado) or building out the farm's upper levels with pseudo-prospects on a shoestring budget (Bridwell, Ramirez, Marte, Meyer, Blash, Almonte, etc.) and someone like Bumgarner really sets this team up nicely for the playoffs in the waning years of Eppler, Trout, and Scioscia's contracts. Madison is still young enough that an extension seems reasonable.

I think by midseason we'll have substantial prospect currency to play with as well, given how guys like Lund, Blash, Fletcher, Thaiss, Ward, Hermosillo, Soriano, Suarez, Barria, Jewell, Castillo, Rodriguez, Pena, Rivas, etc. have emerged. There are a lot of prospects that'd interest the Giants.

I'd suggest we should make more trades with the Mariners. I'd certainly trust Eppler on those! 

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

I agree with you that I do think Eppler continues to build the farm, just as he has been.  Moreover, not only does he seem to draft well, but he also seems to be developing some of DiPoto's prospects better than DiPoto did, which shows that Eppler has a strong development process in place, too.

I am reluctant to give up prospects in most deals, but I do have to say Bumgarner would be the one I'd be okay doing it for.  I mean, his playoff results are just ridiculous.  Having a rotation of Bumgarner, Richards, Ohtani, Skaggs in the playoffs would put us on par with the Astros' rotation.  

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Who knows, maybe the Angels have an advantage on an extension because they'd be able to offer him a shot at *very* occasional DH/PH at-bats too, echoing what they've learned with Ohtani.

If we got MadBum, we would have definitely cornered the market in awesome hitting pitchers ;)

The Giants appear to be winning of late, so they're on the fringes of contention, but let's hope they fall apart and consider trading him.  What would you be willing to trade for MadBum?

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

If we got MadBum, we would have definitely cornered the market in awesome hitting pitchers ;)

The Giants appear to be winning of late, so they're on the fringes of contention, but let's hope they fall apart and consider trading him.  What would you be willing to trade for MadBum?

I’d be willing to give up a small fortune for the MadBum. I’d be willing to give up Barria, Bridwell, Jones, And Ward. And throw in a other prospect 

Just now, Blarg said:

I doubt the Giants traded for McCutchen only to trade Bumgarner months later. They need fans in the seats after a couple down years. 

This does seem plausible too. But they also have tried to put a winning product on the field with again players and if they fail by mid season, they may be looking to do a mini re-build (that’s way some are saying  MadBum May be available). Or at least some people like us are hoping MadBum may be available. 

20 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

So he started a throwing program. I'm guessing light catch for a week, long toss in week two. Short bullpen in week three, ramped up bullpens in week four, minor league rehab in weeks five and six.

So in other words, he'll be back just before the all-star break.

Cool.

That's actually a return date of around the beginning of second week of June, a month before the ASB.

MadBum will already have some 1,800 regular season innings plus numerous post-season innings under his belt by 1.5 years from now, and will be going on 31 in 2020.

That falls under the "Do you want to give a big contract to a pitcher in his early 30s with a lot of innings pitched already?" category.   

The rotation has definitely been a bit banged up, but they have more or less performed.

They are averaging 2.625 runs per start. They aren't going long enough though, as they are averaging under 5 innings per start.

Even if you just look at the starters that are currently on the team, (No Barria, No Shoemaker, No Ramirez, No Bridwell), you are only slightly better. Tropeano is averaging 6 innings per start, Richards, Skaggs, Ohtani are all 5+, and Heaney is slightly below at 4 2/3.

The pen, though doing well, is averaging almost as many innings per game than the starters, which is 4 1/3 innings basically. That's a lot of workload for the pen. Hopefully in May, the starters can increase the average to 18 outs, or 6 innings, to give the pen a break.

Or we're going to need to add bullpen arms, and possibly a starter.

Starters ERA to open 2018 = 4.89 = Yikes.

Bullpen ERA = 3.25.

Even if you take away the shit starts, where a pitcher lasted less than 3 innings, the Angels starter ERA is still high.