• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Schimpf

8 minutes ago, NorCal Halo said:

Ohtani's outstanding start overshadowed Ryan Schimpf's excellent start.  Heck, even his teammates forgot to give Schimpf the now traditional silent treatment for his first home run, which also was his first hit as an Angel.  Could Schimpf be the Angel's 3rd baseman of the future?

No.

He's old 29.

Small 5-9

He has HR power, 35 HR in 444 ABs and walks a fair amount (.320 OBP) but has a low career BA (.196)

Seems like a really good util and pinch hit guy.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schimry01.shtml

1 minute ago, CubsFan said:

No.

He's old 29.

Small 5-9

He has HR power, 35 HR in 444 ABs and walks a fair amount (.320 OBP) but has a low career BA (.196)

Seems like a really good util and pinch hit guy.

he'll basically be a cheaper version, white version, of Luis Valbuena... on the bench. 

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

he'll basically be a cheaper version, white version, of Luis Valbuena... on the bench. 

Nailed it. He's an immediate alternative to Valbuena. This allows an option to fill the exact same role if Valbuena sucks, gets hurt, gets a hit from a contending team in need of a bench player, or at the very least, a league minimum option for next year, allowing them to decline his option.

38 minutes ago, NorCal Halo said:

Ohtani's outstanding start overshadowed Ryan Schimpf's excellent start.  Heck, even his teammates forgot to give Schimpf the now traditional silent treatment for his first home run, which also was his first hit as an Angel.  Could Schimpf be the Angel's 3rd baseman of the future?

Man, lol.

Sunday morning:  WHY IS SCHIMPF EVEN BEING CALLED UP!?  

Monday morning:  OUR FUTURE 3B!

Not picking on you, but it's just funny seeing how quickly sentiment changes.

Schimpf had a pretty good 2016 season with the Padres (2.6 WAR in half a season), then regressed badly in 2017.  Most likely, he is something inbetween those versions.  A very useful bench piece who can spot start or a second division starter, but probably not a first division starter (i.e., a club like ours).

He'll get sent back down once Kinsler is activated, but I think we'll definitely see more of him this year, and he could possibly be playing a larger role next year, depending on who we re-sign, etc.

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

In no way was KInsler wasted money. He gives you something the Angels haven't had since Kendrick - a 2B that can play both sides of the ball well.

Way too early to say he'll be fighting injuries the whole season

Do you know what "in case" means? 

Every MLB teams wants a legitimate back-up for every position in case their starter goes down. My guess is LV and Marte were viewed as not good enough for Eppler. 

While I didn't say Kinsler will be fighting injuries all year, One cannot just ignore the reality that he is 35 and sometimes injuries linger. 

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Do you know what "in case" means? 

Every MLB teams wants a legitimate back-up for every position in case their starter goes down. My guess is LV and Marte were viewed as not good enough for Eppler. 

While I didn't say Kinsler will be fighting injuries all year, One cannot just ignore the reality that he is 35 and sometimes injuries linger. 

I think it also had to do with Cowart going down....we needed some infield depth....

20 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Man, lol.

Sunday morning:  WHY IS SCHIMPF EVEN BEING CALLED UP!?  

Monday morning:  OUR FUTURE 3B!

Not picking on you, but it's just funny seeing how quickly sentiment changes.

I don't think you are picking on me.  But we can agree to disagree on talent. 

I think Eppler has found a diamond in the rough.  I think San Diego and Atlanta gave up on him too early.  I don't mind a low batting average as long as it brings along with it a high slugging percentage.  The only question I have is the quality of defense at 3rd. 

My point in starting this topic was that there is a lot going on in the club right now;  while many will be watching Ohtani, I will be watching Schimpf.

Just now, NorCal Halo said:

I don't think you are picking on me.  But we can agree to disagree on talent. 

I think Eppler has found a diamond in the rough.  I think San Diego and Atlanta gave up on him too early.  I don't mind a low batting average as long as it brings along with it a high slugging percentage.  The only question I have is the quality of defense at 3rd. 

My point in starting this topic was that there is a lot going on in the club right now;  while many will be watching Ohtani, I will be watching Schimpf.

I don't know if we necessarily disagree on his talent.  I did say I think he's a division two starter (i.e. on second tier teams, like the Padres).  I don't think he's a regular starter on a team like ours, but that likewise doesn't mean he can't be useful to us.  A bench player who can capably cover 2B/3B while providing three true outcomes can definitely be of use to us.  I do think someone who K's like he does will probably be exploited by elite pitching (i.e. guys he'd see in the playoffs), but nevertheless, I think he's got more upside to him than some of our other AAA options.

22 minutes ago, Stax said:

Schimpf should take Valbuena spot on next years team at league minimum. Eppler mentioned somthing about he is the type of bat the Angels are looking for.  

Can Schmipf play 1B?  But yeah, his positional versatility is very important.  If he can capably cover 1B/2B/3B, then he'd fit perfectly on this team, and is probably a better option than Cowart, who effectively does the same thing with better defense/worse offense.

Depending on how Kinsler does, I'd be interested in bringing him back on a 1 year deal to man 2B, and use Schimpf in basically the role we have Valbuena in now, with the ability to also cover 2B, too.