• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Have the Angels gone to a 3-man TV booth?

You guys have crazy high expectations of MLB broadcast teams. Gubi can be a huge dork and Mota's English can lead to some incredibly bizarre phrases, but they're pretty damn solid compared to the rest of baseball. Easily one of the Top 10 teams, in my opinion. Rojas is awesome and when Gubi sobers up he can deliver some pretty good insight. Mota as well when you can cut through the language barrier.

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You guys have crazy high expectations of MLB broadcast teams. Gubi can be a huge dork and Mota's English can lead to some incredibly bizarre phrases, but they're pretty damn solid compared to the rest of baseball. Easily one of the Top 10 teams, in my opinion. Rojas is awesome and when Gubi sobers up he can deliver some pretty good insight. Mota as well when you can cut through the language barrier.

What? 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

You cannot be serious. 

They make me long for the days of Rex Hudler

If I have to hear another year of Gubicza talking about "staying back and driving through the baseball", I'm going to tear my ears off

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Thank you.

I'm a huge fan of Victor, he's direct, clear and no-nonsense. Calls out our own team when they do dumb things, which I like. I hate homer announcing. 

Gubicza has grown on me a bit. His knowledge of pitching and ability to explain it to viewers is great. The rest is meh, but has improved over time. 

Still not a Jose Mota fan. Frequently I can't understand his point because of his weird sentence construction. 

I watched the A's broadcast up here in Nor Cal for the opening series, and they had Dallas Braden down in the well, doing the same 3-man stuff. Braden is pretty annoying. 

Not sure if the plan is to have Mota down there for every game, but at least he left in the 7th inning to get ready for the post-game show. I like Victor and Gubi, but every time they went to Mota for his thoughts I felt like it really interrupted the flow of the commentary because of Mota's language barrier. 

11 hours ago, totdprods said:

This is just.... wrong.

We are a large market team.  We deserve MUCH better than we get with Gubicza, Mota and Smith.  Gubicza is flat, boring and repetitive.  I start yet ANOTHER YEAR of little league baseball lessons with him spending hours talking about hitters' hands through the zone, shifting of hips, etc.  If a man has a hammer, then everything is a nail; Gubicza knows the mechanics of hitting and pitching and, year after year, he's going to tell us about it, come hell or high water.

Smith is subpar and completely ruins an afternoon of listening to baseball on the radio.  He learned his craft by mimicking a drone.  And a metronome.  And it shows.  He has not a hint of personality or fun.  And apparently his calls are bad, when compared to actual events on the field.  He caught the biggest break in the world when he somehow landed a major league gig.  And he has shown up every day to make sure nobody takes his job.  Based on his talent, he'd be the luckiest broadcaster on the face of the earth if he were just doing Double A Peoria.

I hold it against Angels management for continuing to employ these two no-talents.  I pretty much have stopped watching and listening to their product, these two are so bad.  I am definitely going to make an exception when Ohtani pitches, however.

I don't think Mota is big market either, but I appreciate his earnestness, and his malaprops (English being his second language) are cute, and listening to him actually keeps me engaged in the game.

Since I'm apparently in a forbidden zone (N San Diego county) I watch the Angels on MLB extra innings.  Over the course of a season get a sampling of nearly every AL home broadcast and several NL crews.  They ALL have passion (love?) for their teams.  Rojas and Goober are not remarkable in this regard. 

Rojas is as good as any play-by-play guy in MLB.  He's steady, articulate, doesn't take himself or the game too seriously, and is a refreshing balance to Goober's droning homerism. 

Goober talks too much.  If you can tolerate the monotone delivery, he provides reasonable value added in his pitching commentary.  His commentary on hitting/running and such is often contrived and it shows.  I ugh mute the TV when he launches into "drive the ball...", Pujol's career stats against pitcher A, or reads the on screen prompts verbatim.

The wife, who speaks Californian, agrees with the previous poster.  Mota's native language beisbol is much more effective.  Just the same, 3 guys in the booth is 1 too many.   

my only complaint about victor is that there are times where a pitch is made and he says absolutely nothing about it, there's just dead silence from him and gubi and no mention of it being a ball or strike. i've seen several times where this has gone on for two pitches in a row. dead air on a tv broadcast isn't good.

I liked Hudler, too. He was an idiot, but entertaining usually. The most annoying part was Phys constantly bringing up the fact Hud was drafted before Cal Ripken.

I like Terry and Langston. Im biased because I listen to more games than watch. But both seem to get along and work well together, and both call out our guys when its needed. Rojas is good in that regard as well.

Rodger Lodge has been on KLAA for 10 years.

On the abbreviated postgame show last night, he marveled at how Ohtani busted his ass on base with two outs, when a batter hit a lazy fly ball (sure out).

Lodge said that Ohtani fits right into a clubhouse of people who demand hustle, like Scioscia, Albert Pujols, and Trout.

tenor.gif?itemid=5952587