• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs extremely overrated IMO

Erstad Grit

I don't get the hype on Skaggs. (and no this has nothing to do with today) 

13 career wins and a 4.59 era.

Since 2012 when he got called up he has had ONE year with over 100 innings pitched.

Seems like many are penciling him in for a good solid year, yet it's based on nothing.

Convince me why he's going to be solid and that we shouldn't go after Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb. 

2018 should tell us a lot. Before his TJ surgery he was solid. The underlying numbers suggested he could become pretty good in the next year or two. 

He got hurt, missed a year and soon thereafter was rehabbing and getting his feel for pitching back.

We really haven't seen who Tyler Skaggs is yet. This will be his first full season with the team, strange as that sounds.

My guess is he gives us 170 innings and an ERA right at 4.00. 

13 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Since 2012 when he got called up he has had ONE year with over 100 innings pitched.

Seems like many are penciling him in for a good solid year, yet it's based on nothing.

Convince me why he's going to be solid and that we shouldn't go after Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb. 

Money and depth!  Skaggs doesn't work out we will probably have Tropeano, Bridwell, and and Barria in the minors.

Ha, it's one spring game. 

Some other Angel lefties in their Age 23-25 seasons.
Langston: 32 G, 31 GS, 197 IP, 4.43 ERA, 4.24 FIP, 1.482 WHIP, 93 ERA+
Finley: 30 G, 11 GS, 4.18 ERA, 3.90 FIP, 1.452 WHIP, 96 ERA+
Washburn: 39 G 30 GS, 4.46 ERA, 5.14 FIP, 1.295 WHIP, 110 ERA+ (averaged out to a full season)
Skaggs: 15 GS, 83 IP, 4.33 ERA, 3.98 FIP, 1.33 WHIP, 89 ERA+; as a 22-25 year old, he missed his age 23 season to TJS.
Some of Skaggs' per9 trends were much better than those guys too.

Skaggs also debuted at 20, where the other three all debuted at 23. 

This will be a crucial year for him though. The other lefties took a big step forward in their age 26 season.
Finley: 29 GS with a 2.57 ERA, ~200 IP, 149 ERA+
Langston: 35 GS, 3.84 ERA, 272 IP (hahaha), 124 ERA+
Washburn: 30 GS, 3.77 ERA, 193.1 IP, 119 ERA+

38 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I didn't realize that Skaggs was being "hyped."  The most "hype" I have seen concerning Skaggs is that, if healthy, he will be in the starting rotation.

I agree with the other posters who believe he has a chance to be a solid contributor, but he will have to prove it.

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I love how I specifically said "it has nothing to do with today" yet the "it's only one spring training game" comment has come out.

I just find it strange that (it seems) the majority are lower on Bridwell who has actually had some success.  

Dude, you started the thread right after his start.  Hard to believe it had nothing to do with it.  

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

First off, a lot of people here are on the Bridwell bandwagon...he was very impressive last year.

The hype of Skaggs includes his minor league numbers, especially if you want to compare him to Bridwell.

Skaggs was a top 100 prospect, a top 20 prospect in 2013

Skaggs in the minors: 3.33 ERA 1.23 Whip 2.9 BBper 9 and 9.9 K's per 9

Bridwell in the minors: 4.74 ERA, 1.42 Whip, 4.0 BB per 9 and 8.1 K's per 9

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Otani, Richard's, Heaney, Shoemaker,  Skaggs 

Depth: Ramirez,  Tropeano Bridwell, Barria

We don't need to spend money on another starting free agent, especially another back end starter 

My only exception would be Lynn, but only if he gets real cheap.  He's pretty durable.

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I love how I specifically said "it has nothing to do with today" yet the "it's only one spring training game" comment has come out.

I just find it strange that (it seems) the majority are lower on Bridwell who has actually had some success.  

Maybe that "majority" views wins and raw ERA differently than you do.  Or perhaps those people are aware that his career minor league numbers (including ERA), are more in line  with what the predictive data projects for him moving forward.

The great thing about both guys is that there are reasons to be hopeful that Bridwell continues to outperform his peripherals and that Skaggs pitches to his...   If those things happen the Angels benefit.   

25 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Not a Skaggs fan either. Has the stuff but just can't locate. Seems to get rattled easily. He's like the white Ramon Ortiz.

I don't know if he really has the 'stuff' like people say. He has a great curve ball and he's shown flashes of 95-97 on his fastball, but he seems to more typically sit in the lower 90's. His problem is a lack of a quality third pitch. With the fastball / curve ball combination it's easy for hitters to sit on or lay off pitches. I hope he spent a lot of time working on his change up this offseason. 

Didn't Skaggs get hurt right when it seemed like he was starting to find his groove though? I'm going entirely off of memory here, so I could he completely wrong. But wasn't Skaggs like 6-7 innings into a no-hitter when he exited with his injury? 

Now of course, a no hitter is no way to judge whether a pitcher is any good or not as there have been some less than spectacular pitchers who have thrown them. But I feel like I remember Skaggs starting to turn a corner leading up to his last game, was in the middle of a no no and then bam. He was out with an injury.

I don't know if the hype on him is way overblown, I think he has shown glimpses in the past that he has a chance to succeed at this level but only time will tell and I'm still hopeful that he finds it and stays healthy. 

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't know if he really has the 'stuff' like people say. He has a great curve ball and he's shown flashes of 95-97 on his fastball, but he seems to more typically sit in the lower 90's. His problem is a lack of a quality third pitch. With the fastball / curve ball combination it's easy for hitters to sit on or lay off pitches. I hope he spent a lot of time working on his change up this offseason. 

The change was his worst pitch last year pitch value wise.....  So you may be right and it's the success of that pitch that may be what finally helps him get to the next level.