• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wally Joyner

Nickpap

As @arch stanton said, he was homegrown at a time when that was rare - although he was shortly followed by a talented group that included Devon White, Jack Howell, Damion Easley, etc. He was the rising young star on the "mercenary" 1986 playoff team. He was also a tad disappointing in that he didn't continue to improve after his first couple years, and instead become a solidly above average player but not a real star. I was saddened when he left as he was my favorite player in 1986-91. But thankfully then Tim Salmon happened.

18 hours ago, Blarg said:

He lost out the Rookie of the Year to Jose Conseco. He actually had a higher WAR and OPS than Jose but writers dug the long ball back then.

I was so angry about that especially on the heels of that terrible loss. I still think he should have won. 

2 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

Oh my, Guy would be lucky to get $30 for those cards. 1987 cards are fairly worthless, rookie or not. let alone thousands of $$$

I dont know what i ever did with my old baseball cards. But the only set i ever got as a kid were the 87 topps....possibly the most worthless, and ugliest cards ever.

I come accross them at work from time to time, funny enough it always seems like after a house fire for whatever reason. 

4 hours ago, ksangel said:

Six years with Angels had .290 batting average, .350 OBP , averaged 20 homers and 90 RBI's and played solid defense..sure would take that from current first basemen.

I would too. But figure in the era he played, that wasnt really big numbers.

Wally was rad. To the OP, if you werent around back then, joyner was one of the "most hyped" players we had in years. He never lived up to his rookie year sucess, but he was really likeable.