• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in discussions with CC Sabathia

KevinJ14

9 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Assuming the Halos go to a 6-man rotation(which Eppler heavily implied), Sabathia can slot into the rotation as that steady vet guy among a group of young and uncertain arms. Sure as hell beats the last vet guy they had(Nolasco)

Richards
Sabathia
Ohtani
Skaggs
Shoemaker
Heaney

Bridwell/Barria/Scribner/JC Ramirez as depth

Nice R/L/R/L/R mix.

Sabathia is a perfect candidate for a 6-man rotation.  Last time he pitched 200 innings was 2013.  Could be a selling point for him.

25 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Assuming the Halos go to a 6-man rotation(which Eppler heavily implied), Sabathia can slot into the rotation as that steady vet guy among a group of young and uncertain arms. Sure as hell beats the last vet guy they had(Nolasco)

Richards
Sabathia
Ohtani
Skaggs
Shoemaker
Heaney

Nice R/L/R/L/R mix.

I know this isn’t the point of this post, but something tells me Sosh will start Ohtani at home for his first start, so probably the fifth starter.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I know this isn’t the point of this post, but something tells me Sosh will start Ohtani at home for his first start, so probably the fifth starter.  

Really?

Don’t you think they’d rather “break him in” vs the A’s even though it’s on the road than the Indians?

I’d have him go anywhere from day 2-4.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Really?

Don’t you think they’d rather “break him in” vs the A’s even though it’s on the road than the Indians?

I’d have him go anywhere from day 2-4.

Primetime..

This kid mowed down our All Stars 3 years ago when he was 20 years old. You want him going up against the best..

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Primetime..

This kid mowed down our All Stars 3 years ago when he was 20 years old. You want him going up against the best..

It’s his first start in the majors... 

He’ll have enough things going on around him that day it would be dumb to add even more pressure to his situation when there’s absolutely no reason to. 

I mean it’s the first week of a 162 game season... There’s just no need for it

first, I am disappointed that Adam has yet to weigh in on this.  

second,  he's jolly.  

third, I hate the idea of an innings eater, but CC has actually been pretty good.  The guy know how to pitch.  He's a guy where I am throwing conventional WAR out the window (like earlier Weave).  RA9-WAR the last two years of 3.1 and 3.4 .  

fourth, Eppler knows him. 

fifth, he'll be pretty reasonable.   Probably 1/10.  

sixth, we're probably better off waiting to see what SP is available at the end of the off season which is a something Eppler seems inclined to do.  So this tells me he's looking for depth that allows him to trade for a 2b or 3b.  Most would assume Hernandez for Skaggs, but I think it's going to be Shoe and a couple of prospects for Suarez.  

Considering that it only costs us money and is only for 1-2 years maximum I'm okay with this as it likely means another of our starters is on the move. I agree with Dochalo that it could be Shoemaker primarily because Matt has the higher projected arbitration costs and is the more likely one to be moved in a year or so anyway.

Also I would not mind grabbing Patrick Corbin in trade if the price is reasonable (it probably is not though) as he only has one year left and I think would be effective in our rotation.

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Richards
Sabathia
Ohtani
Skaggs
Shoemaker
Heaney

Nice R/L/R/L/R mix.

Also have Tropeano in the mix. 

Basically, we need to "map out the season" for our rotation.  We have 162 games, and we hope our starters can average between 5-6 innings per game.  Projecting that over the season means we need roughly 900 innings out of our starters.

Richards:  140

Ohtani:  120

Sabathia:  150

Shoemaker:  120

Heaney:  100

Bridwell:  120

Tropeano:  70

Others:  80

I left Skaggs out, because I am optimistically thinking if we sign Sabathia, then we're flipping Skaggs in a deal for Hernandez.

Sabathia has been a pretty good workhorse throughout his career, and he'd probably be one of the surest health bets we had in our rotation.  If we can snag him to a one year deal to help absorb innings and provide fairly decent results, I'd be happy with that.

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Richards
Sabathia
Ohtani
Skaggs
Shoemaker
Heaney

Nice R/L/R/L/R mix.

It's now been since 2014 that Shoe has shown any kind of consistency and Heaney NEVER really has.

Yet, Bridwell gave us some of the most consistent pitching as a starter since before Richards was injured. He started 20 games last year and only had four bad outings, really. Yes, he doesn't "miss bats" much............

Even Skaggs didnt pitch as well as Bridwell last year.

And you dont have Bridwell even in our top SIX? What does he have to do?

Important to remember with Bridwell - he has options still, whereas Ramirez doesn't. By account of a numbers game (depending on how the pen is filled out) Parker may need to start the season in SLC and be the first guy up just so we don't have to move J.C just for the sake of it.

54 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Important to remember with Bridwell - he has options still, whereas Ramirez doesn't. By account of a numbers game (depending on how the pen is filled out) Parker may need to start the season in SLC and be the first guy up just so we don't have to move J.C just for the sake of it.

Yeah, I really hadnt thought about that. Just lamenting that he gets no respect around here, after a fine first season as a starter. I would sure hate to see him traded. Cant have enough starting pitching, especially with the questionable health of so many of our projected starters.

Even Sabathia, at 38, has to be considered a health liability with all that weight.

Bridwell is interesting.  Throws hard and has solid secondary offerings.  Outpitched his peripherals last year and that could go in one of two directions.  He could get hurt by more balls in play or he could end up striking out more guys which is possible considering his stuff.  Would totally move him as part of a package for 2b/3b or even a legit pen piece.  Don't think he's worth that much though.  If he puts together a year of a 4 era and 170ip, I wouldn't be surprised but a lot of the smoke and mirrors would have to go away.  

Again, I think Eppler is showing his hand a bit by pursuing Sabathia.   Seems like someone he would pursue at the end of the winter when the dust has settled. Like a Chris Tillman.  

You know who's an interesting potential pickup is Arismendy Alcantara.  Former top prospect.  Good pop.  30 sb potential. solid PD.  He'd be a nice pickup with options to add as a backup.