• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Winter Meetings thread

Ohtaniland

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Rangers are making a lot of interesting and solid moves for their pitching staff. 

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 2m2 minutes ago

#Rangers sign free-agent RHP Chris Martin to two-year, $4M contract, sources tell The Athletic. Martin, 31, had 1.12 ERA in 88 relief innings last two years in Japan. Deal includes $550K in incentives each year based on games finished. Can become free agent at end of contract.

I didn't realize Coldplay's singer and piano player also pitches.

CC for one season is a good option.    Need someone who they can count on for regular innings, while the other build their innings counts back up in 2018.

Don't need a super pitcher, because there is a lot of talent on the mound.    Give it a year to sort out who emerges from that group.

Nunez/Frazier, Cozart/Harrison, CC, and one solid reliever sounds like a good overall use of available AAV money while not trading too many prospects away.

Moose may cost too much, Kinsler is 35 in 2018, and Walker and Darvish are too injury prone. 

Edit: Okay, after reading Fletch's post, I'm not so down on Kinsler.   We can use the range at 2B.

7 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

i know I’m in the minority but I’d be thrilled if we acquired Kinsler.

Acquire Kinsler for cheap and then possibly use some prospects to get a 3B?

I agree. Especially if he's open-minded to moving around positions a bit if needed as the season progresses. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Is it possible the Angels sign both Morrison and Moustakas?

Morrison plays 1B on days Ohtani pitches and his day before and day after, pinch hitter late? Insurance in case Ohtani struggles on the offensive side of things?

i have to say this intrigues me, if only for the balance it would give us as both are to my knowledge lefties. 
Morrison though to me is though is the most interesting a telling about the teams plans.  He would obviously take over as the #1 1B.  This leaves others without a spot really.  Cron obviously as hes already there but Valbuena becomes a backup 3B VERY part time #3 1B and insurance against Pujols getting hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

FWIW, fangraphs had Hernandez at a 3.3 WAR and Kinsler at a 2.4 WAR. Hernandez has much more in his favor in terms of cost and age, but Kinsler would cost a lot less and could allow us to devote some of that talent that we would presumably be dealing for Hernandez elsewhere. Kinsler is definitely worth a look.

Maybe, but what about the next year and the next? Im not against going with bandaids...but i feel like weve done that too much the last few years. Kinsler may or may not bring a decent value next year, but hes not a solution.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Maybe, but what about the next year and the next? Im not against going with bandaids...but i feel like weve done that too much the last few years. Kinsler may or may not bring a decent value next year, but hes not a solution.

And I totally get that, but if the asking price is just to high then Kinsler would be a nice get considering he most likely be had for little. 

Like mentioned above we can save our resources and possibly make a run at a solution at 3rd instead

20 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, I mean that's the best argument for Hernandez. I just balk at the reported asking price. Next season you got Dozier, LeMahieu, Murphy as your FA 2B, which on its face seems stronger than the current group (at least as of right now). Maybe we slap on a cheap bandaid in Kinsler and put ourselves in that market next season (or trade for LeMahieu now -- they have Story with Rodgers in the wings and have to pay Arenado, so he might be the odd man out) while looking for a longer-term solution at 3B this season.

41 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I would LOVE for Angels to get Soria.  Sort of lost in all the excitement about Ohtani and the 2b stuff.  The Angels really need to add a quality back end arm to the bullpen.  I’d say that’s just a notch below the pressing need for a 2b. 

Addison. Reed.

Or, we'll take Soria and Hammel if they throw in Merrifield.

1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Yeah, I mean that's the best argument for Hernandez. I just balk at the reported asking price. Next season you got Dozier, LeMahieu, Murphy as your FA 2B, which on its face seems stronger than the current group (at least as of right now). Maybe we slap on a cheap bandaid in Kinsler and put ourselves in that market next season (or trade for LeMahieu now -- they have Story with Rodgers in the wings and have to pay Arenado, so he might be the odd man out) while looking for a longer-term solution at 3B this season.

Right.

The way I see it, we have significant black holes at 2B and 3B in that we don’t have a soon-to-be ready prospect in the pipeline to take over.  Ideally, we could find guys to cover those positions long-term, but if not, I’m fine with getting one long-term option and one band-aid for now, with the distinct possibility that the bandaid is Valbuena at 3B.

I’m fine with Kinsler, as I’d expect us to be able to get him for nothing really, but would prefer Hernandez, and would be fine dealing a pitcher for him.  Hernandez locks down 2B for the next few years.  Then, next offseason, we can try to tackle 3B long-term.

3 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Rangers, Mets Have Discussed Profar/Harvey Swap; Orioles Also Talking Harvey

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/rangers-mets-have-discussed-swap-involving-jurickson-profar-matt-harvey.html

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Harvey. A change of scenery might be good for him.

I would do Bedrock for Harvey straight up. I'm willing to admit that would probably be an unpopular move but I have a good feeling that Harvey is in for a bounce back campaign. 

10 minutes ago, KDWells said:

I would do Bedrock for Harvey straight up. I'm willing to admit that would probably be an unpopular move but I have a good feeling that Harvey is in for a bounce back campaign. 

I'd do it. Sign Addison Reed and one more dude for the pen (anyone reasonable 1-2 years, $4-$6m/per) and take a gamble on Harvey.

I really feel like Kinsler is almost inevitable. How many trades has Eppler made with Detroit? Marte, Maybin, Upton. How many comparable IF trades has Eppler made? Escobar, Espinosa. It's about as textbook Eppler as can be, AND, if rumors are true about Kinsler being considered as a 3B too, then it makes even more sense, as they can hold him for now in either position (him and Valbuena covering 3rd with Luis also seeing time at 1st) and play out the market for Moose or other 2B trade targets to drop. 

49 minutes ago, KDWells said:

You could expand it too, to include Asdrubal Cabrera for 3B or 2B. Harvey + Cabrera for Bedrosian + prospect(s)?

40 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I really feel like Kinsler is almost inevitable. How many trades has Eppler made with Detroit? Marte, Maybin, Upton. How many comparable IF trades has Eppler made? Escobar, Espinosa. It's about as textbook Eppler as can be, AND, if rumors are true about Kinsler being considered as a 3B too, then it makes even more sense, as they can hold him for now in either position (him and Valbuena covering 3rd with Luis also seeing time at 1st) and play out the market for Moose or other 2B trade targets to drop. 

Where is this Kinsler at 3rd base rumour coming from? I haven’t seen that.

He’s only played 2 innings in his entire ML career at 3rd...