• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Do you even realize your first statement backs up what I already said?...how it makes zero sense?

And yes, we were at war in the pacific...you know, because we were attacked. So again I ask, why would we let ourselves get attacked, lose our holding in the region, only to have to rebuild what we lost, then go fight for 4 years to get back what we lost?

Totally makes sense.

I imagine the Britts were only too cool with it, as well. 

I agree 100% - the U.S. suspected Japan might attack - but thought the attack would come elsewhere, not what was very nearly a decapitation at Pearl - had the fuel bunkers been hit, had a ship sunk in the ship channel, things might've turned out much differently - Pearl would've have been useless for months,  and  without fuel, we'd have had to operate from the West Coast, Midway would never have happened, and all those front-line Japanese carriers, and all those pilots would've stayed on the board.   And Yamamoto wouldn't sit back and let us rebuild our navy; without Pearl at his back, the West Coast shipyards and naval base and oil storage would surely be bombed, merchant shipping would never survive the trip to Hawaii, so Pearl would never be re-constituted and Hawaii would eventually have been invaded and lost. - or at least the threat of such would've been used by Japan to force us into capitulation, yielding the Pacific to Japan forever.    Today, we might be sending our best players to play in the NPBL.  

So, basically, we took the chance of losing the Pacific war from day 1 because we somehow knew that Japan would cancel their second strike and not destroy the 4.5m barrels of oil at Pearl?  That's beyond ludicrous.   

Really, the only thing to add here is there's a pretty solid suggestion that the USSR knew either about the Pearl attack, or that *something* was coming, when Richard Sorge gave information about Japanese plans - variously, Japan was going to attack somewhere in the South Pacific, or possibly, Pearl Harbor itself, depending on who you believe.   At any rate, the information passed allowed Stalin to strip the Mongolian frontier of the modern divisions that were then used to shore up Moscow's defenses, and launch a counter-attack in front Moscow which effectively permanently ended the German advance.    Without that information, Moscow would likely have fallen.  And had Japan attacked the Soviet Union instead of the US, the world map would look far different today.

17 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

Sadly, I think this analysis is probably exactly what’s happening. Ohtani wanted to be a Mariner and pitted three AL West teams against themselves, actually just the Angels and Mariners since Texas couldn’t really add more pool money. Ohtani’s agent knew the A’s weren’t gonna play the game and left them out.  Hopefully Eppler can use the pool money on the rest of the Braves prospects. 

This whole process has been kinda shady. When all of the dust settles his agent completed a shakedown of the AL West. 

20 minutes ago, Calzone said:

This whole process has been kinda shady. When all of the dust settles his agent completed a shakedown of the AL West. 

I was just thinking, how would anyone ever know if a phone call happened between CAA and DiPoto before this whole process?  There’s no way to find out without govt assistance.  Anyways, I could be wrong. 

15 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Posting this in here for some discussion . . . 

Let's assume the sticking point for trading with the Phillies for Hernandez was that they wanted Jam Jones and we wouldn't include him. Would you now trade Jam Jones and Chris Rodriguez to the Phillies for Hernandez and $750 k in international money? The Phillies have $900 k I think left, but can only trade international money in units of $250k. 

I think I would do that because as much as I believe in Jones, I think we need to solve 2B for a long time. Hernandez does that, establishes a leadoff hitter for us, and gives us solid defense up the middle. That wouldn't be a desperation move, IMHO, because it solves a true need for us with a legitimate solution (not like taking a CFer and putting him at 2B). It shows that we are serious about solving our problems, we're building a solid core that will be stable for years, and would provide much better defense and comparable offense to Seattle. I would think that would send a strong signal to Ohtani.

Actually, they can trade increments of less than $250k if they are trading the remainder. If the Phillies have $900k remaining, they can trade the entire $900k.

32 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Dude is probably a republican. Could be a democrat. Definitely not a libertarian.

18 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

I was just thinking, how would anyone ever know if a phone call happened between CAA and DiPoto before this whole process?  There’s no way to find out without govt assistance.  Anyways, I could be wrong. 

No I think Ohtani’s agent told both Dipoto and Eppler face to face to go out and get more money to stay in it or he’s going to Texas. But it’s never been about the money according to the sources here at Angelswin. Now Eppler is back on the phones desperately attempting the GoFundMe route.  

34 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

Mueller...

44 minutes ago, Calzone said:

No I think Ohtani’s agent told both Dipoto and Eppler face to face to go out and get more money to stay in it or he’s going to Texas. But it’s never been about the money according to the sources here at Angelswin. Now Eppler is back on the phones desperately attempting the GoFundMe route.  

These are not AngelsWin sources narrative boy, these are reports coming from national guys that people here have quoted.  

If he signs with Seattle then Dipoto convinced him it was the best fit.  If he signs with the Angels then Eppler was more convincing.  If he signs with the Padres then he felt most comfortable there based on past relationships, nothing wrong with that.  

That being said I’d like Eppler to make that one last move to get the rest of the money needed to level the financial playing field. 

20 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

In other words, how could he NOT want to play for the Yankees or Red Sox??

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21709815/mlb-officials-keeping-close-watch-foul-play-shohei-ohtani-pursuit

Not gonna lie -- I think you're seeing these sorts of reports because Preller is one of the GMs involved in the situation.   Old sins cast long shadows...

1 hour ago, makepeac said:

Actually it was “Climb Mount Niitaka” but I love any Tora! Tora! Tora! references. I lived on the other side of Oahu during filming as an elementary school kid.

ah, thanks for catching that. something didn't feel right and i was in a hurry.

i'll call your 7th grade history teacher and ask him to give you some retroactive extra credit for that.

21 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

MLB is probably sweating this a bit because other owners are going to want an investigation into process...especially if he lands with Padres. MLB might be worried what they find out.

Perhaps with some of these reports into an investigation might make him steer away from Padres and Mariners.  (Assuming they are the potential colluders).