• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bryce Harper Audition...

JoJo26

Ya know....the kid is going to be a FA...

Maybe...just maybe Albert will do the right thing and retire....thusly opening up mucho space in the payroll. Can you imagine?

Harper - Trout - Calhoun in the OF? 

Oh wait....Albert will never give up that dough...he'll fulfill that Arte contract.....Dammit...

Related image

5 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Umm let's try to make Trout the biggest organizational priority first. I seriously doubt that we could afford both Harper and Trout even without the boat anchor. We need to get an Ace pitcher at some point and that will also cost a lot.

Let's try to make winning our #1 priority but yea

If somehow Albert's money was freed up I'd much rather see it go towards elite pitching.  With the 1-game WC and 5-game Divisional setup, I'd much rather have an ace than a Harper going into the playoffs.  I know, Angels are far from playoff ready but this is a fantasy thread amirite?

12 minutes ago, red321 said:

Any scenario that starts with Albert should do the right thing and retire should just stop right there.

ps...Is it just me, or does Harper seem to be the type of guy who knocks his helmet off as he's running the bases on purpose?

Before I was fat I was pretty quick and if I hit a ball in the alley I would knock my hat/helmet off.  I thought it slowed me down (I was dumb).  

Harper's personality, much like A-Rod or Bonds, was always meant for the microscope of a national audience. The Giants aren't there anymore, the Cubs already have their own host of superstars they need to ink long term, and the Astros and Phillies, while they have the money, they don't have pizazz of others.

That leaves the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers. 

If Harper wants to be back home on the West Coast, he'll be a Dodger. If he wants to break records he'll go to New York and their little league short porch and jet stream in RF. If he wants to make his own way and compete, he'll go to Boston. 

For Harper, it's all about the narrative.

Now this is what will make Machado and Trout so interesting. Machado won't go to an organization that puts a high emphasis on signing legitimately "good people", he's a bit of a whiner....a very talented whiner.  New York would seem a perfect fit. He'd love Miami but they'll sell anything short of Stanton without competing. I could see Atlanta, Houston or Texas, but probably New York.

And finally, that leaves Trout. He doesn't want the spotlight, so you can rule out the big 3 (LA, BOS, NY) and the Cubs too. He wanted a lifetime contract, so that suggests some interest in the Angels. Philly is hometown, without the microscope and they have the money. He enjoys fishing and hunting, and Colorado could try to sell him on that. He could also go to the Mets, New York without the pinstripes and bright lights.

Honestly, with Trout I think it's down to us and Philadelphia, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Phillies. He's close with his family, he may want to start one if his own and spend more time there. They have a solid core of prospects to surround him with in Crawford, Hoskins, Cozens and Moniak.

Jesus Christ -- Philly is harder on it's athletes than NY or Boston..   I went to a Father son baseball game in Philly once where the fans actually booed the player's kids...    They are a seriously ruthless crowd...   The press might be louder in NY and Boston, but I dont think they are any more ruthless or cutting than Philly.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Harper's personality, much like A-Rod or Bonds, was always meant for the microscope of a national audience. The Giants aren't there anymore, the Cubs already have their own host of superstars they need to ink long term, and the Astros and Phillies, while they have the money, they don't have pizazz of others.

If Harper wants to be back home on the West Coast, he'll be a Dodger. If he wants to break records he'll go to New York and their little league short porch and jet stream in RF. If he wants to make his own way and compete, he'll go to Boston. 

Now this is what will make Machado and Trout so interesting. Machado won't go to an organization that puts a high emphasis on signing legitimately "good people", he's a bit of a whiner....a very talented whiner.  New York would seem a perfect fit. He'd love Miami but they'll sell anything short of Stanton without competing. I could see Atlanta, Houston or Texas, but probably New York.

And finally, that leaves Trout. He doesn't want the spotlight, so you can rule out the big 3 (LA, BOS, NY) and the Cubs too. He wanted a lifetime contract, so that suggests some interest in the Angels. Philly is hometown, without the microscope and they have the money. He enjoys fishing and hunting, and Colorado could try to sell him on that. He could also go to the Mets, New York without the pinstripes and bright lights.

Honestly, with Trout I think it's down to us and Philadelphia, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Phillies. He's close with his family, he may want to start one if his own and spend more time there. They have a solid core of prospects to surround him with in Crawford, Hoskins, Cozens and Moniak.

I find it a little disturbing that you think Trout doesn't want to play in the spotlight. I like to believe Trout wants the spotlight and wants to win.

I hope the Angels can accommodate him. 

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I find it a little disturbing that you think Trout doesn't want to play in the spotlight. I like to believe Trout wants the spotlight and wants to win.

I hope the Angels can accommodate him. 

If Trout wanted the spotlight, he'd have it, you can best assured of that. And he wants to win too, he's made that much clear. 

If there's one area that the Angels don't need to worry about it's the OF. Yes, Harper is a monster but a few things:

1) I don't see the Angels able or willing to pay two players $90-100MM a year for the next decade, so if it is one or the other I'd rather have Trout.

2) I'd rather pay $35MM a year for Machado than $45MM a year for Harper, because of positional need.

3) Harper's a royal douche.

4) Even if Moreno wants him, someone like the Yankees can and will outbid and lure Harper in. Imagine the scenario of bidding Harper up and then he signs with the Yanks, but in the process of bidding him up we also increase Trout's price tag.

So no, go with Trout and youth in the outfield and focus on improving the infield (aside from SS).

9 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Yankees, Cubs, or Dodgers

Mayyybe yankees. Cubs i dont see it, and i dont think the dodgers will anymore. Sure, they out of anyone can afford him, but i think theyll let their youngsters carry the torch and continue to spend rheir money on rhe best SP option available any given year.

Harper i think eother stays in Washington, for some reason can see Boston swooping in, or some dark horse no one is even thinking about yet (like us with pujols).

Texas?..maybe the giants and go rebuild around him. I just think its not honna be the usual suspects for whatever reason.

10 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

In regards to Harper, hes not really a west coast guy. That said, he'll go to the highest bidder (as anyone would pretty much).

The part about trout not wanting the spotlight isnt really accurate either. Its more he doesnt want to be the only guy. 

He does want to stay here, though. That doesnt mean we sign him, and that doesnt mean he'll feel the same in 2 years or 2 weeks from now.

I hate to say it, but the dodgers could swoop trout....they can afford him, he gets to stay in newport coast, hed be surrounded with talent, etc etc