• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Critically Acclaimed Or Highly Touted Movies You Have Never Seen

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

From what I understand the last one had to be rewritten because they didn't want to pay Duvall what he was asking. As we all know the results were pretty uninspired

it was just weird. the first two were in the 70s and the third was 1990? also, by then we got loud and obnoxious Pacino.

52 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Godfather

Don't know if they're critically acclaimed but I've also never seen a Harry Potter or Toy Story movie

Godfather is fascinating and worth seeing. The Toy Story series is wonderful for kids and makes parents feel nostalgic. I think you're kinda in between.

i haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies, either. Saw the first LOTR but it was too long and confusing at times, and I haven't bothered with the sequels.

For those who haven't seen Chinatown or Citizen Kane: dafuq?! Go watch them tomorrow. I mean it - Citizen Kane is one it's own planet; arguably the best film of all time. And the opening scene to Chinatown is so f*cking awesome.

I will add to the reverse: provide a few highly touted movies not everyone has seen, but their life will be better once they have seen it:

- seventh seal

- amadeus

- breathless

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

For those who haven't seen Chinatown or Citizen Kane: dafuq?! Go watch them tomorrow. I mean it - Citizen Kane is one it's own planet; arguably the best film of all time. And the opening scene to Chinatown is so f*cking awesome.

I will add to the reverse: provide a few highly touted movies not everyone has seen, but their life will be better once they have seen it:

- seventh seal

- amadeus

- breathless

Spoken like a true cinephile!

They just don't make movies like the Seventh Seal anymore... I'm trying to think of a modern film that can even compare...

I think Blazing Saddles is excellent, Mel Brooks' best movie.

I have never seen Titanic, in general I can't stand chick flicks, I don't care how acclaimed they are.  If it has some sappy love story it isn't for me.  Never seen Napoleon Dynamite and have no interest in that either.

I have never seen Citizen Kane, not on purpose or anything, just never went out of my way to watch it.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Spoken like a true cinephile!

They just don't make movies like the Seventh Seal anymore... I'm trying to think of a modern film that can even compare...

Agreed!

I got lucky in that my HS IB philosophy / theory of knowledge teacher was huge movie buff. So when we were done with IB/AP tests we would watch movies. He shows us chinatown, one flew over the cukoo's nest, cinema paradiso, etc. 

And then my second year at Berkeley, I needed a few extra units so I took a film sound class. Turns out it was run by the guys at Sal Zanz studio nearby (they did amadeus, godfathers, one flew over the cukoo's est, apocalypse now, english patient etc) and had a room full of Oscars. This dude was my professor, such a badass http://progresoweekly.us/mark-berger-history-sound/ It was one of the best classes I took in my entire time there. 

The better question, for me at least is, which critically acclaimed movie did you see and didn't like as much, as I don't really watch a lot of movies. 

And to answer that question, only one I can think of right now is No Country for Old Men, didn't really get into the movie.  The acting was great and it was really suspenseful, but just couldn't really get into it other than that, plus I hated the ending.  

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The better question, for me at least is, which critically acclaimed movie did you see and didn't like as much, as I don't really watch a lot of movies. 

And to answer that question, only one I can think of right now is No Country for Old Men, didn't really get into the movie.  The acting was great and it was really suspenseful, but just couldn't really get into it other than that, plus I hated the ending.  

Ha! I could just feel No Country For Old Men coming ahead.

The more people I hear dislike the end, the more I am reminded of how great it is :)

I think it's no surprise that you don't watch a lot of movies because NCFOM is playing a lot on expectations for the genre. It's not meant to be a crowd pleasure but rather appeal to those who are tired of seeing the same formulas play out.

2 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Agreed!

I got lucky in that my HS IB philosophy / theory of knowledge teacher was huge movie buff. So when we were done with IB/AP tests we would watch movies. He shows us chinatown, one flew over the cukoo's nest, cinema paradiso, etc. 

And then my second year at Berkeley, I needed a few extra units so I took a film sound class. Turns out it was run by the guys at Sal Zanz studio nearby (they did amadeus, godfathers, one flew over the cukoo's est, apocalypse now, english patient etc) and had a room full of Oscars. This dude was my professor, such a badass http://progresoweekly.us/mark-berger-history-sound/ It was one of the best classes I took in my entire time there. 

I had a lot of film professors but never anyone of that class. I always loved those classes because you can evaluate films on so many levels and from so many perspectives and its not BS like some would tell you.  

8 hours ago, mrwicked said:

- seventh seal

- amadeus

- breathless

I agreed until I read Breathless.  Both versions don't do anything for me.

23 hours ago, Stradling said:

I haven't see Chinatown either. 

I haven't watched it since high school days.  But knowing a little more on the history of what Chinatown is about, I think I'll watch it again to see if it becomes an even better movie.

I have an off topic, but related question. One of my top 5 favorite movies is Sideways. I think it is a perfect movie. But here is my question, for those familiar with the movie: is the scene toward the end, where Miles is drinking that rare, old win from a foam cup in a crappy burger joint, a scene depicting his low point, or a scene depicting a positive breakthrough for him?

I say the latter. He has finally let go to the point where he can drink his treasured, rare wine from a foam cup. He has accepted his life and is letting go and moving on from his ex. 

But I have seen movie pundits claim it symbolizes a low point for him. I don't agree with that interpretation.

Also, at the end, is his class reading his book? Did he publish the book himself and make them all read It? Again, a positive point for him if he did. 

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

I have an off topic, but related question. One of my top 5 favorite movies is Sideways. I think it is a perfect movie. But here is my question, for those familiar with the movie: is the scene toward the end, where Miles is drinking that rare, old win from a foam cup in a crappy burger joint, a scene depicting his low point, or a scene depicting a positive breakthrough for him?

I say the latter. He has finally let go to the point where he can drink his treasured, rare wine from a foam cup. He has accepted his life and is letting go and moving on from his ex. 

But I have seen movie pundits claim it symbolizes a low point for him. I don't agree with that interpretation.

Also, at the end, is his class reading his book? Did he publish the book himself and make them all read It? Again, a positive point for him if he did. 

well, now I don't need to see it to tell you

On 7/19/2017 at 8:39 PM, Brandon said:

On that note, I do have LA Confidential and Chinatown here in front of me in Bluray form. I'll watch them, but for now they are on the list. One we talked about in the movie thread, I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood.

Three of my favorite movies. The cinematography in There Will Be Blood is excellent. I love the scene when the oil well blows. 

Most people here know I'm into LA noir so Chinatown and LA Confidential are played monthly at my house.