• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Don't give up! And here's why...

1. Mike Trout is heating up. Over the last week or so we've seen signs of the 2012 version and we all know how he can carry a team.

2. Josh Hamilton can't get worse. In fact, he can get better - much better. He'll get there. Obviously something's quite wrong, but I think he'll figure it out.

3. The starting pitching has been solid. Great? No, but we knew that going into the season. Good? Not quite, but improving. Good enough? That depends upon the offense. Oh yeah, and Jered Weaver is coming back...at some point.

4. Mark Trumbo hath arrived.

5. Oh yeah, its early. Well, not really but there are still 131 games left. I for one am not throwing in the towel. If they're still flailing by the end of the month after the easy upcoming schedule, we can nail the coffin shut, but not yet...

And that's exactly why I think we're going to see a surge: The schedule is very easy coming forward and the Angels are going to rack up a ton of wins. I don't think they'll quite get to .500 by June, by they'll be close. And if they can carry that momentum through June and July they'll be back in it for the stretch drive.

So don't give up! Let's give it a few weeks, see how this team fares against the underbelly of the AL. If they aren't kicking butt a few weeks from now I'll light the funeral pyre myself.

Actually, there's reason you should really give up now. You saw how last season ended, the Angels finished 3rd in the division. Well that team was better than this team. The starting pitching was far far far better, they had 2 aces in Weaver and Greinke. This year they have 0 aces and a bunch of scraps. Last year they had Torri Hunter who had a stellar season and Mike Trout having one of the greatest offensive seasons ever. Mike Trout will not replicate last year, I mean he's still great, but he is not replicating 2012 and Torri Hunter is gone. So if you do the math they will have a worse season than 2012 and possibly finish behind the Mariners who improved their baseball team.

Let's look at it another way...if the Angels roster from the beginning was:

1B - Trumbo

2B - Kendrick

3B - Lucho Jimenez

SS - Brendan Harris/Andrew Romine

DH - Pujols

LF - Shuck

CF - Trout

RF - Hamllton

C - Ianetta/Conger

Rotation - Wilson, Hanson, Vargas, Blanton, Williams

BP - Richards, De La Rosa, Kohn, Brasier, Enright, Frieri

What would you project their win total to be?  I think it would be optimistic for this group to reach .500

So don't give up! Let's give it a few weeks, see how this team fares against the underbelly of the AL. If they aren't kicking butt a few weeks from now I'll light the funeral pyre myself.

I'd bet that if this team hasn't raised it's level of play while playing the weak sisters of the AL this month that heads will roll.

It all depends on what the goal is.

If the goal is to have a respectable season and finish above .500 yes the season is not over but if the goal is to make the playoffs and have a chance to win the world series, the season is pretty close to over.

Realistically with their current record they have somewhere around 10% chance to make the playoffs.

And I would rather have the team tank rather than finish somewhere around .500.

The second option means that the Angels will sign another over the hill free agent and lose another draft pick.

I truly believe it is over, but I will continue to support this team for just the hope that I am so very wrong. I would have ZERO problem with being wrong if it meant we were going to contend. 

That being said, if we can somehow get to around 4.5-5 games back before the All-Star Game I would be stoked. 

AJ, what some are trying to say here is your optimism and perspective are messing with their negativeity/hate-fueled buzz and it is not welcome.  The only possible outcome is continual descent into oblivion.  Please note this for future posts.

Ha ha, true.

Actually, this thread reminds me that pessimism isn't inherently any more rational or truthful than optimism.

That said, it is obviously true that the odds are against the Angels. But the purpose of the original post is to point out how the door is not shut yet, that there is a road towards the playoffs that actually has a chance of happening. Whether that's a 10 or 50% chance, I don't know - and there really is no way to put it into a percentage. But is certainly more than a "Dumb and Dumber" chance.

Actually, this thread reminds me that pessimism isn't inherently any more rational or truthful than optimism.

How so? The reason for the pessimism is based on truth and actual facts of what it happening. They were AWFUL in spring training and they have had the worst start in the history of the franchise over the first month and a week. All facts and truths point to the team sucking huge big donkey balls. Anybody who thinks otherwise is basing it on blind faith and blind faith is stupid.

I would be optimistic if the team as a whole was showing signs of "breaking out". You can pick apart individual achievements and say "oh this is a good sign", but in the end of the day it hasn't helped sh*t. If it isn't one thing with this team, it's another. Offense is hot? Pitching sucks. Pitching is dominant? Offense goes to sleep. Starting pitching is good and the offense is clicking? Bullpen blows it. The one constant this year has been the defense, which has constantly sucked.

So no, I won't literally "give up", but it's very difficult to be optimistic about this team right now.