• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think we'll exercise the option on Yunel Escobar?

Chuck

Do you think we'll exercise the option on Yunel Escobar?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Angels will exercise the option on Yunel Escobar?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you in favor of keeping Escobar and taking the option?

• Yes
    • No

It's good we have flexibility.  Escobar, Cowart and Marte are in the mix at third.  The biggest problem is Escobar is an effective lead off hitter and our best lead off option, with no one yet on the team to replace that position in the lineup.

2 minutes ago, tomsred said:

It's good we have flexibility.  Escobar, Cowart and Marte are in the mix at third.  The biggest problem is Escobar is an effective lead off hitter and our best lead off option, with no one yet on the team to replace that position in the lineup.

'16 Cameron Maybin would be a damn good lead-off hitter.

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I like that, AO, if they can get something decent for him. If not, the team is stronger with him at 3B and Marte as the "super platoon" player. Having Escobar and Maybin in front of Trout is pretty damn nice.

I'm finding Escobar's trade value hard to quantify in my mind. In one way, his value should be lower than this time last year because he is under club control for one year instead of two. But on the other hand, his 2016 offensive performance would have knocked off some thought that his 2015 numbers were flukish - which probably kept his value down a year ago. Then again, his defensive performance isn't improving and maybe some teams (possibly including us?) thought it would as he spent more time at 3B.

He probably isn't worth any more than a middle reliever but if somebody wanted to give us, say, a Tropeano level starter then I would absolutely snap that up.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

I meant at the deadline when his value was the highest.

Eh, there wasn't really a market for him at the deadline. His value may have been highest then, but there wasn't a team out there that really needed him. The Mets, Giants, and Royals were the ones most discussed as the best fits. The Royals fell out of contention before the deadline, and the Mets had Reyes fall in their lap, as well as their own contention hopes fade. The Giants eventually did trade for an IF in Nunez and offered up a pretty decent pitching prospect, but keep in mind Nunez is also cheaper, younger, able to play more positions, and under more control.

Also important to remember, at the trade deadline Jefry Marte was hitting .242/.285/.438 with 6 HRs. It was Aug/Sep when he cranked out 9 more HRs and OPSed .850, so at the time, Marte hadn't really shown much to displace Yunel.

48 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I meant at the deadline when his value was the highest.

Also, I don't think his value has declined that much. At the deadline, you have a limited number of teams looking to acquire a certain player for a stretch run. At the onset of the offseason, you have much more teams to work with. 

Acquiring Yunel on a 1/$7 at the cost of a middling prospect or money swap may be a much easier pill to swallow than spending 4/60 for Turner or Walker. Much less risk and commitment, and no opportunity for a bidding war and ending up empty-handed.

Escobar's 2016 season is the best for a Halos lead off hitter in a number of years.

at the GM chat that was reported on here -- he was called the best Halos lead off hitter since Chone Figgins -- and many of us remember how Chone Figgins' speed made things happen.

Escobar is not the best D at 3B or elsewhere in the infield -- but IMO he was/is an upgrade over Freese on D.

With Escobar and Pujols -- these guys can platoon DH position  with Escobar playing part time and Pujols playing 1B part time.

40 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

What's the hold up? 

Seems like they're probably exploring trades. Can't see why they'd decline it unless that had a major plan that involves a significant upgrade at third or a desperate need for that $6m elsewhere. Neither of those sound likely unless they're planning on spending big somewhere, or spending big on many, many pieces.

21 hours ago, totdprods said:

'16 Cameron Maybin would be a damn good lead-off hitter.

Wonder if Maybin could transform into a lead off hitter?  In 2670 PA's he's lead off 100 times and 70 of those times were in 2010 and 2011.  In the last three years he's led off 12 times. 

Unless the Angels are going to sign a top FA 3B I'd keep Escobar and let Marte develop so he's an option in 2018 when Angels will need a 3B.

With Maybin and Escobar the order could be:  Escobar, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Cron, Maybin, Simmons, Bandy/Perez, 2B

Could flip Simmons and Maybin too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels don't exercise Esco's team option.  They can have Marte take over at 3B which would mean improved defense and more power in the line-up.  Also, there is no trade value in Esco at all.  There are some decent FA 3B options out there for teams who want a real upgrade at that position.  Several weeks ago I asked Jeff Fletcher about Escobar's trade market and he said it would be very small, if anything at all.

Take that 7 million and use it for pitching.

12 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Wonder if Maybin could transform into a lead off hitter?  In 2670 PA's he's lead off 100 times and 70 of those times were in 2010 and 2011.  In the last three years he's led off 12 times. 

I think that the Angels see him as a lead off hitter.

I have to believe that Yunel is worth at least the 7mil he's due.  A decent major league middle reliever or a higher upside minor league guy would seem fair.  Part of the reason that they could be vacillating is because he's a whack job.  If you didn't intent on exercising his option, then why didn't they just trade him at the deadline and get whatever possible for him?

The other thing they could be doing is working out a 2yr deal with a lower AAV than 7mil.   

I personally think they are gonna trade him.  

46 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels don't exercise Esco's team option.  They can have Marte take over at 3B which would mean improved defense and more power in the line-up.  Also, there is no trade value in Esco at all.  There are some decent FA 3B options out there for teams who want a real upgrade at that position.  Several weeks ago I asked Jeff Fletcher about Escobar's trade market and he said it would be very small, if anything at all.

Take that 7 million and use it for pitching.

Marte is every bit as bad defensively as Escobar. Currently, the only good defensive 3rd baseman they have is Cowart. And i think the org would like to dump him [Cowart] too.