• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A-Rod: "Joe Maddon was the Angels' mastermind."

ABC

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

No I personally wouldn't sign him to another extension, but you guys that think he is the biggest reason for this teams failures are ridiculous.  I am ready for someone new, but it has little to do with his performance, and more to do with wanting to see something different.  There is also a part of me that has that "be careful what you wish for" mentality for all of the guys on here that think he sucks or is the worst manager in the game.  If you think he is the worst in the game then it is tough to value your opinion on anything baseball related.  

I never said he was the worst. He's just been here too long. Time for a change, and a new outlook.

Ten-year extensions are ridiculous to begin with.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

No I personally wouldn't sign him to another extension, but you guys that think he is the biggest reason for this teams failures are ridiculous.  I am ready for someone new, but it has little to do with his performance, and more to do with wanting to see something different.  There is also a part of me that has that "be careful what you wish for" mentality for all of the guys on here that think he sucks or is the worst manager in the game.  If you think he is the worst in the game then it is tough to value your opinion on anything baseball related.  

I wouldn't sign him to an extension either not because I think he's bad, in fact I do believe he's been good for the Angel organization.

When his contract is up (or possibly before depending) it'll be time for a change.

And I have to agree with you about the people that think he's (Scioscia) the worst in the game! It's hard to take them seriously when their pov is distorted by a bias. When it's all said and done baseball historians will judge Scioscia's managerial career very favorably.

Oh, and btw, since when has A-Rod had any credibility?

9 hours ago, Lou said:

other than having a payroll expense of over half a billion dollars in 2 seasons, what exactly has Friedman accomplished? 

I meant for the Rays.  Even with the high draft picks, he did a nice job of putting together some good rays teams on a very limited budget.  

Personally, I think the Dogs should be better considering their recent spending, but he inherited a heap of horrible contracts and has kept them competitive while building an excellent farm system.  I'd take that.  We'll see how he does when payroll tightens a bit and the expectation is that the farm system will be the primary supply of talent to the team.  

41 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I meant for the Rays.  Even with the high draft picks, he did a nice job of putting together some good rays teams on a very limited budget.  

Personally, I think the Dogs should be better considering their recent spending, but he inherited a heap of horrible contracts and has kept them competitive while building an excellent farm system.  I'd take that.  We'll see how he does when payroll tightens a bit and the expectation is that the farm system will be the primary supply of talent to the team.  

People will dismiss what he's done as his having just spent money (and they have spent a shit-ton), but the reality is he took what he had (money), and used it in a manner that we really had not seen before in order to obtain maximum long term value.   

I too want to see if they continue to operate as they have once they depreciate their losses, but it's worth noting that their long term obligations get significantly lower after 2018 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-yEinFNc24xoTlGAH-S_1DRsZuGtx1yZOXsBpWNuSU/pub?output=html.   All that taking on contracts to bring in talent plays out pretty well long term.

The Dodgers have less on the books in 2019 than the Angels do -- and there is no comparing the two farm systems.   Seattle, Texas, Boston, NYY, SF, Washington....  basically all the teams with a lot of money and a recent willingness to spend currently have more guaranteed money on the books than the Dodgers do.

22 hours ago, nate said:

Scioscia is still waiting, and Maddon's rosters were always inferior and he made more with them.

Francona is by far the best of the bunch though.

Your lack of decent burger options must be affecting your memory and judgment.

Scioscia has always performed admirably with a decent roster.

Hell, even this year he generally exceeded what should be expected.

Maddon, on the other hand, notsomuchman: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

If Scioscia had managed the Cubs, they'd likely be in the same place they are now. Don't kid yourself.

15 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

Your lack of decent burger options must be affecting your memory and judgment.

Scioscia has always performed admirably with a decent roster.

Hell, even this year he generally exceeded what should be expected.

Maddon, on the other hand, notsomuchman: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

If Scioscia had managed the Cubs, they'd likely be in the same place they are now. Don't kid yourself.

the main thing I got from that link is that the Rangers weren't really that good.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

just a reminder, Maddon was with the Halos well before Scioscia ever got there.  He joined the team in 1994.  

He was the mastermind behind our magical 1995 season ending run and World Series championship. I will always appreciate how his baseball genius guided us so effectively that year.

54 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

Exactly...that roster has a hell of a lot of talent.  It's not like Maddon had to dig deep for strategy other than "how do I fit all that power in the line-up at the same time?".

1 hour ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Tim Salmon on Joe. ” He thanked former Angels assistant Joe Maddon who sat at his kitchen table, signed him to his first contract and kept encouraging him throughout his career.

https://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/thinking-outside-box-mike-scioscia-by.html   Here, you don't have to go very far to find a Tim Salmon quote about MS...

25 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Bob just needs a little enlightening. Everyone knows Scioscia is the best manager to come down the pike in decades.

Now if we could only get back to the playoffs and win an actual postseason game before he leaves us in 2019 (assuming no more ten-year extensions), that would cement his legacy as a Hall of Fame skipper.

This is a great example of a post by a Scioscia hater.  If we don't share the same disdain for the guy then we automatically must think he's the greatest manager ever.