• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Playoff Thread

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Maddon.

Maddon is the new Bochy. Maddon can manage against Madbum. ( the cubs will hammer Cueto, and he's the only other threat in the Giants rotation) This season and the next few seasons are all about Maddon.

Maddon, the guy who was passed over so that Scioscia could manage the Angels for the last decade and a half. Joe Maddon will have 4 or 5 times the playoff wins than Mike Scioscia has, and 3 or 4, maybe 5 or 6 more WS appearances when they both hang up the uni's.

Mike Scioscia will (if he lives long enough) speak at Joe Maddon's induction into the HOF. Joe will thank him and say that he hopes someday Mike can be there too. 

I may not be around to see it, but remember where you heard it.

Scioscia vs Maddon:

Regular Season - 

Win% -  S =  .541   M =  .535

Avg finish -  S = 2.2   M = 2.7

Div Titles -  S = 6   M = 3

Postseason:

Win% -  S = .438  M = .436 

WS Titles -  S = 1   M = 0

S - 57

M - 62

Scioscia may be a witness to Maddon's posthumous induction to the HOF. 

Edited by Lou

So glad the bad guys lost today, meaning Texas and the BoSux! Looks like they were pretty good games, too bad I had to miss them! I think the weird starting time and the sun really kind of screwed with Texas out in the field, first seeing Beltre biff that play then watching Tulo's triple that should have been an error. Either way I hope the Jays and Indians can keep this up. 

"Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said he didn't think there is another big league ballpark where beer is served in cans."

Um...what is he talking about? Every ballgame I've been to in recent years has sold 24oz cans of beer for like $12. At Chase field this year they had guys walking around the stands selling them. I think it is retarded for them to remove cans of beer from the game because of this one idiot. I don't buy them because I like draft beer, and if I want a tall boy I'll stop at 7-Eleven and get one on my way home for like...1/4 of the price. 

6 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

"Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said he didn't think there is another big league ballpark where beer is served in cans."

Um...what is he talking about? Every ballgame I've been to in recent years has sold 24oz cans of beer for like $12. At Chase field this year they had guys walking around the stands selling them. I think it is retarded for them to remove cans of beer from the game because of this one idiot. I don't buy them because I like draft beer, and if I want a tall boy I'll stop at 7-Eleven and get one on my way home for like...1/4 of the price. 

Minute Maid as well.

Commish needs to get out more.

14 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I agree with but for whatever reason you keeping bringing up 2018. Seems like there's a wall put up by fans to hide behind in case 2017 doesn't pan out.

Hmm, not sure I follow. I'm on the optimistic side of things; I thought they could compete in '16 and again in '17. I just lean to taking a more hesitant approach to next year, and don't want the club making moves that affect payroll/roster flexibility now that we're making some progress on that. I don't want them to make moves based off other teams in the division and their strengths and weaknesses - I want them to do what is best for the organization right now. 

With lowered expectations in '17, it's a good year to play it safe. Much like 2016, they can sign a couple cheap vets to fill needs - guys who can be traded (even if just for fringe prospects) at the deadline to other teams, guys who can be cut without eating tens of millions, or guys who can be benched in favor of a young player who's showing something. 

Once 2018 hits, our SP depth should stabilize nicely, payroll clears further, we will have had another draft with a higher position, our int'l FA restrictions expire, and we will have had another year to give Meyer, Marte, Perez/Bandy time to develop. A lot of things come together at 2017, and going all-in on 2017 risks mucking that up. We can still field a competitive team next year frugally.

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hmm, not sure I follow. I'm on the optimistic side of things; I thought they could compete in '16 and again in '17. I just lean to taking a more hesitant approach to next year, and don't want the club making moves that affect payroll/roster flexibility now that we're making some progress on that. I don't want them to make moves based off other teams in the division and their strengths and weaknesses - I want them to do what is best for the organization right now. 

With lowered expectations in '17, it's a good year to play it safe. Much like 2016, they can sign a couple cheap vets to fill needs - guys who can be traded (even if just for fringe prospects) at the deadline to other teams, guys who can be cut without eating tens of millions, or guys who can be benched in favor of a young player who's showing something. 

Once 2018 hits, our SP depth should stabilize nicely, payroll clears further, we will have had another draft with a higher position, our int'l FA restrictions expire, and we will have had another year to give Meyer, Marte, Perez/Bandy time to develop. A lot of things come together at 2017, and going all-in on 2017 risks mucking that up. We can still field a competitive team next year frugally.

Good thoughts!

Although, playing it safe is really not a winning attitude. Angels have the best player in baseball and $140M payroll to consider. 

I don't want to be the one to tell Trout that we're playing it safe in 2017. Do your best and with any luck will make the playoffs. Then chuckle as I walk away.

I'm not endorsing stupid trades or contracts. I am endorsing using our resources in the off season smartly to strengthen the team for a run at the division title. 

11 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

^That may be true but Maddon might be a guest speaker first when Scioscia gets inducted into the HOF.

Dont believe for a second that a Maddon didn't learn to manage under Scioscia. 

Maddon was coaching and managing long before Scioscia ever started. You've got this backwards.

Maddon taught MS everything Mike knows........but not everything Joe knows.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Maddon was coaching and managing long before Scioscia ever started. You've got this backwards.

Maddon taught MS everything Mike knows........but not everything Joe knows.

Joe never won a ring as a player or manager.