• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Playoff Thread

1 minute ago, Oz27 said:

I love the short leash with Bauer and I love the aggressive, early use of Miller.

And sure enough, as I'm typing, the best reliever in baseball gives up a hit. Maybe Buck was right.

Two out. no one on and you take your starter out, in the fifth? 

Tito is setting himself up to take some pressure off Buck.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I like leaning on Millar, but I don't know how good the Indians pen is. They will need at least another 6+ outs after Miller is out of the game.

Allen and Otero are really good. They wouldn't want to be going much beyond that, although Bryan Shaw is okay.

2 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Two out. no one on and you take your starter out, in the fifth? 

Tito is setting himself up to take some pressure off Buck.

Bauer hasn't been very good today and isn't very good generally. He also has been much worse for the third time through the order this year. The heart of the order was coming up, including three lefties in six batters. I know Miller made hard work of it, but I still like the call. At that point in the game I would much rather be trying to get the remaining outs through Miller, Allen and Otero than a tiring, near-average starter.

Traffic was bad so I opted to do dinner in town at the San Francisco Saloon on Pico. Normally not too busy at nights but it is standing room only. Barely found a parking space,  lucked out on a booth in the back. Have the game all to myself because the 49ers are on every other TV. It's like a playoff atmosphere but I'm the only one watching it. 

If we start next year with Street as the ninth inning guy, which I am guessing we will, I would love to see us look at using Bedrosian similarly to how the Indians have used Miller. The way they have taken advantage of having Miller is awesome.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Traffic was bad so I opted to do dinner in town at the San Francisco Saloon on Pico. Normally not too busy at nights but it is standing room only. Barely found a parking space,  lucked out on a booth in the back. Have the game all to myself because the 49ers are on every other TV. It's like a playoff atmosphere but I'm the only one watching it. 

So, which burger did you have? 

48 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

If we start next year with Street as the ninth inning guy, which I am guessing we will, I would love to see us look at using Bedrosian similarly to how the Indians have used Miller. The way they have taken advantage of having Miller is awesome.

I agree. I never figured Miller would work as long as he did. I thought he would be saved for Ortiz, as he is their only lefty BP guy.

But Scioscia cant think beyond conventional use of BP guys. You know, XX in the 7th, XXX in the 8th, XXXX in the ninth, while completely ignoring that the 2-3-4 guys are coming up in the 7th or 8th.

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

I agree. I never figured Miller would work as long as he did. I thought he would be saved for Ortiz, as he is their only lefty BP guy.

But Scioscia cant think beyond conventional use of BP guys. You know, XX in the 7th, XXX in the 8th, XXXX in the ninth, while completely ignoring that the 2-3-4 guys are coming up in the 7th or 8th.

Yeah, although to be fair most managers are stuck at that level of thinking. I'd love to see us get a bit more creative in that regard. Of course to do that with any level of effectiveness, you need much more bullpen talent than we currently have.

15 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Yeah, although to be fair most managers are stuck at that level of thinking. I'd love to see us get a bit more creative in that regard. Of course to do that with any level of effectiveness, you need much more bullpen talent than we currently have.

Agreed. Scioscia is in the majority.

1 hour ago, eligrba4ever said:

You write them off to quickly HB. Bruce Bochy knows.

Maddon.

Maddon is the new Bochy. Maddon can manage against Madbum. ( the cubs will hammer Cueto, and he's the only other threat in the Giants rotation) This season and the next few seasons are all about Maddon.

Maddon, the guy who was passed over so that Scioscia could manage the Angels for the last decade and a half. Joe Maddon will have 4 or 5 times the playoff wins than Mike Scioscia has, and 3 or 4, maybe 5 or 6 more WS appearances when they both hang up the uni's.

Mike Scioscia will (if he lives long enough) speak at Joe Maddon's induction into the HOF. Joe will thank him and say that he hopes someday Mike can be there too. 

I may not be around to see it, but remember where you heard it.

Yes, we heard it from a guy that hates Scioscia.  Look I love Maddon, but 5 game series are about how players perform.  Maddon won't be able to do shit if a starter blows up or if his hitters strike out a ton.  If it comes down to a game of strategy then it's a pretty even playing field between the two managers  Maddon has the edge, but simply because his team has more talent.  

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I've heard multiple relief pitchers say they work better with defined roles.  

I would imagine part or all of that is familiarity. Maybe some guys would struggle with it, maybe they wouldn't. But I really hope the game and, more importantly, the Angels progress to using their best relievers in the most important situations. We are seeing more relievers now saying they're cool pitching whenever, with Andrew Miller being the best example - http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2016/08/andrew_millers_role_with_cleve.html

30 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

^That may be true but Maddon might be a guest speaker first when Scioscia gets inducted into the HOF.

Dont believe for a second that a Maddon didn't learn to manage under Scioscia. 

I'm sure Maddon will campaign for Scioscia, he'll have some pull with the veteran committee, and maybe he'll be able to get in in post-mortum...The bad post season record and only 1 WS appearance might be tough to overcome. Piazza and Napoli might have some sway by then too, so ya never know.