• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kaepernick sits during national anthem, and 49ers defend him

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

mostly we deal with derogatory comments about someone's race. it gets mixed in with bullying. 

you should note that i'm at a fairly small parochial school with 96 students in our jr. high. we don't have gang issues or turf wars, or things like that.

I'm curious what are the derogatory comments specifically?

1 hour ago, Rico said:

What bothers me is the implication that just because someone is rich and successful, then they should have no right to complain.  That is what I was getting at with the Ted Cruz quote.  The way he just brushes him off.

But they have the right to complain.  What they (or anyone for that matter) don't have is the right complain without feedback from others.

That said, Cruz is a douche'.  But he's getting feedback on his feedback.  It's not like he said what he had to say and everyone just gave him a pass.

8 hours ago, Rico said:

What bothers me is the implication that just because someone is rich and successful, then they should have no right to complain.  That is what I was getting at with the Ted Cruz quote.  The way he just brushes him off.

I don't think that is what Cruz is saying. Cruz statement reads to me that you shouldn't disrespect the flag to make your point. Cruz's fans are very patriotic so even if he doesn't believe in his tweet it helps his career.

Most people are critical of Kap because of his reason for protesting, not for his actions. Some don't like "disrespecting" the flag regardless of his reasons. Some don't like blacks. Some have shitty lives and think Kap unfairly won the genetic lottery so they are happy to shit on someone who is living a better life. And so on.

All his criticism isn't racism.

9 hours ago, CF8 said:

Most people are critical of Kap because of his reason for protesting, not for his actions. Some don't like "disrespecting" the flag regardless of his reasons. Some don't like blacks. Some have shitty lives and think Kap unfairly won the genetic lottery so they are happy to shit on someone who is living a better life. And so on.

All his criticism isn't racism.

i think most people have been critical of his actions, not his reasons. from what i've seen, here and other places, people agree with his right to protest but not by what they see as disrespecting the flag.

15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Can someone please explain to me why anyone stands up, removes their hat and puts their hand over their heart for the anthem?

It's military law. I assume civilians just follow the military's lead. 

When I was at the Rams game last month some dude came running up to me demanding that I tell the guy in front of me to take his hat off for God Bless America. I just gave him a blank stare and sipped my beer. He eventually yelled at the guy himself. Some people get so worked up over the most unimportant stuff.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1)when the flag is displayed—
(A)
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B)
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C)
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

Yeah.  The use of the word "should" vs. "must" or "shall" basically means, "Meh ... do whatever you want."

So other than there being a title addressing how to do it in the US Code, is there a "reason?"  Is it to honor the country, the flag, the military, the police, the memory of Anna Nicole Smith ... to stick our thumb in the eye of the British?