• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[Link]: Anaheim: A Less than Desirable Situation

11 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

The Author is a Yankees and Mets fan so.......

Which is surprising considering the article didn't suggest trading Trout to either team.

Summary:
Trade/get rid of everyone not named Mike Trout.

Sign Rich Hill. If team still bad in 2017, deal him to a contender for prospects.

Some valid comments in there - but overall, agree with other posters here -- fairly weak analysis.

Keep Scioscia? Sure, why not, let him finish out his contract (what? after an even 20 years after the 2019 season?) since the Halos likely won't be doing much in the AL West during that time.......Scioscia can put together a record of sub-.500 teams.

Trade Pujols? Great idea, let's get on that -- am sure a lot of teams want that contract !!  And if we eat most of it -- what does that do for our payroll. It's easier to knock Pujols poor initial start with the Halos and now, at the back side 5 years of his 10 year deal, his complete lack of any versatility as he truly is a DH who should only be at 1B because someone is injured or some sort of NL inter-league game double-switch..........I don't see how a trade of Pujols (who would take him?) does anything for the Halos since his salary/ contract probably stays on the books under any circumstances and Halos get deprived of his climbing the all time HR list -- which may be one of the few reasons (other than Mike Trout) for Halo fans to come to the ballpark over the next few years.

Weaver retire?  I go back and forth on this - at times Weaver looks like a guy who could fill the fifth spot back of the rotation as well as anyone else. Other times, I think, well, maybe so but leaving a year arguably too soon is far better than a year late -- Weaver must have cringed watching double Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum struggle to hang on with the Angels and think -- OUCH, that could be me soon, I better get while I can........

Trading players?  With the exception of A. Simmons -- who I really like at SS and would try to build even the marginal team of the next few years around strong up the middle guys - Trout and Simmons -- I would agree that everyone else is on the block -- hopefully for the best prospects we can get -- because the author is right, we're not very deep on the farm.

Calhoun, Escobar, Shoemaker, Cron, virtually anyone not named Trout and Simmons should be on the block.

The Santiago deal -- I thought we lowered some payroll there which is what Arte wanted to do -- I think it got the Halos below the luxury tax thresh-hold........if we can't finish in the first division or as a contender -- might as well finish in the black rather than red ink.  We only wear red, Arte prefers that his books not bleed it.

16 minutes ago, maximus p said:

Problem with trading Calhoun is that RF would be the new LF problem...assuming they don't get a replacement for him in the trade (not sure what they could get for him but it would have to be an OF and a P prospect near MLB ready-is he worth that?).

exactly.

we can't even fill one outfield spot. How are we going to fill two?

well, Calhoun may be the most 'trade- able' position player we have.

if we need to build some young prospect arms down at the Farm - dealing him may be the best way to get a promising pitching prospect or two.

I don't like the idea of dealing Calhoun, but let's face it -- we're not going anywhere near the playoffs the next two maybe three years.......

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

Things can change quickly. Look what was going on in 2014 and where we are just 2 years later?

Angels had the best record in baseball

Cubs finished in last place in division

Rangers finished in last place in division

Anything is possible but both the Cubs and Rangers had top 10 farm systems in 2014 which help the rebuild or rebound process.  Both teams are in 1st in their respective division and have top 10 (Texas) and top 15 (Cubs) farm systems still.  The Angels meanwhile have the worst farm system in baseball which makes it harder to rebuild but also puts them at a disadvantage because teams with better farm systems can acquire veterans via trade or bring up players to fill out the roster.  I'm not saying it's hopeless just that they have a much harder road ahead of them then the 2014 Cubs or Rangers did.

14 hours ago, disarcina said:

The Santiago deal -- I thought we lowered some payroll there which is what Arte wanted to do -- I think it got the Halos below the luxury tax thresh-hold......

The Santiago deal was cash neutral. Ricky Nolasco is owed more than Hector so the Twins sent some money along with him to make up the difference. The Smith trade, I think saved us some money, maybe enough to get us under the threshold.

13 hours ago, disarcina said:

I don't like the idea of dealing Calhoun, but let's face it -- we're not going anywhere near the playoffs the next two maybe three years.......

I'm not there yet, I think with the right moves in the off season, and a little luck we can make a run at the playoffs next season. If not next season then 2018 for sure. Arte can't sit idly by and let the Trout years be completely wasted. If he does, his legacy won't be a pretty one.

Weave has pitched better over the past month, and the velocity is slowly climbing.   I'd sign him for an additional year at a reduced price (say $5 million plus?), to see what happens.

Heck, I'd also re-sign Chacin for a year (smaller contract), if what he says in the OCR is true about finding his issue while in the pen (2.25 ERA in four mostly long relief appearances).

I'm not going to rely on GRich pitching in 2017.  If he can, added bonus.

We have the sixth overall pick in the next draft if the ended today. If we drop another 3 games in the standings we could get the number 2 overall pick in 2017. That would practically guarantee us a top 100 prospect. We have traded all of our top 100 prospects over the last several years including most recently Newcomb.

I'm not saying we throw games, just saying the way we have been playing lately, we don't need to throw games.