• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vacation Ideas

So, my gf has never been out of the country, or even on a plane. I managed to get her to get a passport simply because it's a good idea to have one (she just got it in the mail a couple weeks ago), but I'd like to take her on a fun trip soon. Her birthday is in October, so I've been looking into booking something for then for the past couple weeks. Basically looking for something in a warm place, roughly 4-7 days, and under $2k in terms of flights/lodging. So far I've found some cruises that seem legit, namely western Caribbean, and some vacation packages to Cabo, Cancun, etc... Nonetheless, I'd like to know if you guys have any ideas that might fall into those parameters. I know October is still hurricane season in the Caribbean, so I'm slightly worried about potential cancellations/other issues with that.

I feel like vacationing in the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico during hurricane season is like playing Russian Roulette. You can never be sure of good weather. Been there, done that. No fun watching the weather channel all week with the radar showing a huge hurricane coming your way, but they predict it will change course. Not much relaxing that week. If you do decide to go that way, get a good travel insurance policy, and pick a place with a good airport nearby so you can GTFO if the shit hits the fan. The last thing you want to do is get stuck on some 3rd world island with all services wiped out. Cruises are safer because they can adjust their course and avoid, or outrun storms. The sea may be a bit rough though, and you might have to skip a few ports of call.

Have you ever considered the West coast of Florida? Same beautiful water, but a safer bet in case there is a hurricane. Most storms go East to West, so the Florida Peninsula acts as a buffer for the west coast beaches. The land takes a bite out of the storm before it gets there. Very rarely do they go East to West, and then curl back and hit the Florida West coast. Lots of beautiful resorts from Naples north. Fort Myers has an airport, as does Tampa/St. Pete, and Sarasota. You could also fly into Orlando, and drive 90 minutes to the coast. Naples and Anna Maria Island are two of my favorites.

Do you have any interest in doing Walt Disney World Resort, or Universal Orlando Resort? Both great places with first class hotels and pools, lots to do, and best of all, LACK OF CROWDS. Kids are in school, so both places are cheaper and emptier than usual.

6 hours ago, calscuf said:

And while I enjoyed Colombia, I wouldn't recommend it as "first trip outside the US."

havent seen croatia yet but its on the list. as far as columbia, it wouldnt be my first either, but don says he wants to go somewhere warm and cheap. im more of a cold (and cheap) kind of guy.

i can be hot and see a beach here. and i can get ripped off by people speaking spanish here just as easy as any place in mexico. so for my money, id rather go somewhere i can still wear jeans, and get robbed by someone speaking french, or german, or asian.

On 7/27/2016 at 0:06 AM, Tank said:

Just did a western carribbean cruise last month - Cozumel, grand Cayman, and Jamaica - and loved it. Swam with the dolphins in Cozumel. Highly recommend this trip. The colors of the water are insanely blue.

Lucky you didn't run into any pirates of the Caribbean.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Western Caribbean is probably the leader in the clubhouse now despite the risks. With my budget, Cabo still seems alright too. If I had more cash, I think Croatia would be awesome; and I've done Costa Rica before, I'd just want more time for that one. The gf isn't willing to take more than 5 days PTO though.

On July 27, 2016 at 3:22 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

cancun is pretty rad. belize is up there. are you saying under 2K for both you and her (flights+hotel)?

Yeah, I meant 2k combined for flights/lodging before other expenses.

Virgin Atlantic is running a decent deal to S Africa, around $900 r/t from LAX

Virgin airlines doesn't charge for a stopover so I added a 27 day one in LHR essentially giving me time for another vacation.  

Norwegian is trying to compete with WOWair and had LAX CDG (Paris) for $175-$225 each way (winter months) but that doesn't include luggage, meal, etc so it's really designed for cheapskates

they have a similar cost ticket to Sweden, I believe

On 7/27/2016 at 8:53 AM, red321 said:

don't bother with Cancun...if you are thinking Yucatan look at Tulum and a resort like La Zebra. About 90 minutes south and nowhere near the tourist trap that

We stayed in all all inclusive in Tulum (Dreams Tulum) and it was terrific. The ancient Mayan city was a short bus trip from our hotel, and there are at least four restaurants to choose from. Great beach, and you don't have to deal with the spring break party type atmosphere.