• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Have our struggles changed how you follow this team?

Oz27

The main change is that I can just sit back and watch the games without much invested in the result tbh. Blowing a lead late or doing some other stupid shit to lose a game just sort of gets brushed off and laughed at. I wasn't very high on this roster entering the season so I already had tempered expectations, but now all the injuries have pretty much cemented things with this roster

25 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

The main change is that I can just sit back and watch the games without much invested in the result tbh. Blowing a lead late or doing some other stupid shit to lose a game just sort of gets brushed off and laughed at. I wasn't very high on this roster entering the season so I already had tempered expectations, but now all the injuries have pretty much cemented things with this roster

Yep. Things which previously drove me nuts I can now laugh off as "here we go again". That part is kind of a positive in a strange way. The negative is that it's hard to get too excited about most things, even an awesome win, because it's all going to mean very little in the end.

9 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Yep. Things which previously drove me off I can now laugh off as "here we go again". That part is kind of a positive in a strange way. The negative is that it's hard to get too excited about most things, even an awesome win, because it's all going to mean very little in the end.

This is where I am at as well.  The only difference is I occasionally catch myself getting pissed, like last night, the double play ball to Escobar where Gio wasn't at the bag on time late in the game, when it was still close.  Yea that play momentarily pissed me off, but I shrugged it off as "it's one of those seasons".  I still enjoy wins, the losses just hurt less. 

Not a bit. Teams and players have their ups and downs and following how they deal with the day to day of a 162 game season is very interesting.  I just ask myself sometimes how long have the Cubs waited to be this good???

With Superman Trout, Calhoun, Simmons and Pujols as the nucleus and some good young arms (albeit injured right now) in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano and Shoemaker plus potential long term major leaguers in Cowart and Cron (yes, I know a lot on this board don't like Cron but I'm hopeful it all clicks for him) if the Angels can find or develop a LF, 2B (though I like how Johnny G has improved his D) and C this could be a competitive team.

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is where I am at as well.  The only difference is I occasionally catch myself getting pissed, like last night, the double play ball to Escobar where Gio wasn't at the bag on time late in the game, when it was still close.  Yea that play momentarily pissed me off, but I shrugged it off as "it's one of those seasons".  I still enjoy wins, the losses just hurt less. 

It doesn't even surprise me now.

Only thing that ever makes me angry is when an Angels pitcher has an ill timed walk because they are pussyfooting around or have no control.  Doesn't happen as much lately though since they all just serve up meatballs all game long.

26 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Not a bit. Teams and players have their ups and downs and following how they deal with the day to day of a 162 game season is very interesting.  I just ask myself sometimes how long have the Cubs waited to be this good???

With Superman Trout, Calhoun, Simmons and Pujols as the nucleus and some good young arms (albeit injured right now) in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano and Shoemaker plus potential long term major leaguers in Cowart and Cron (yes, I know a lot on this board don't like Cron but I'm hopeful it all clicks for him) if the Angels can find or develop a LF, 2B (though I like how Johnny G has improved his D) and C this could be a competitive team.

Pujols is only part of the nucleus because they're stuck with him, not because he's a guy you want to build around going forward. The biggest strength this team had was their cheap and productive young pitching but that's taken a massive hit and is now a question mark moving forward. Richards and Heaney are likely headed for TJS that would knock them out for next season. You then have to hope they can return to full form after TJS, which, while success rate is better, it still isn't a given(just look at how long Skaggs is taking to return). Regarding Gia, he's an easy guy to root for, a tryhard type, but he just isn't a long-term piece on a contending team. He doesn't offer much at all

To me baseball on TV for the most part is incredibly boring.  If it's a playoff game, an important series/game or the team is playing well then I'll try to tune in but between work and home life I've got other things that are more worth me devoting time to.  I'll still go to a few games this year because in person even if they play like crap it's fun getting out to the park.  

20 minutes ago, shine said:

My family had 4 season tickets since 1966. I had an additional 4 season seats I gave to employees.  I gave them up this season, I averaged about 72 games a year, I have gone to six games this season. I can't stand Scioscia,

If anyone in Angel management reads this board, your post would be the one that might concern me the most.   I live over 1,700 miles away and when I'm watching or listening online, crowd size is an indication of public acceptance of the Angels product.  You have attended in the past during all circumstances but this year attending has been interrupted.

I have also read comments in this thread that say they can find something worthwhile to watch when prospects fill in for injured regulars, but this time some of the replacements aren't really prospects in the true sense of the word. Some are following the team to a lesser degree.

This probably has the attention of the Angels organization.  They may consider changes about how they do their business as a result.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Two things about this thread, one we've officially become Jim Rome's jungle.  We value this place more than what this place is about, the Angels, which I think is awesome.  Two, we have some liars on here.  We have people that say they hardly pay attention anymore yet they are the same people that are involved in the game day thread daily.  Just admit it that you're addicted to the Angels, there's very little shame in that.  

I'm watching them even more. It's very entertaining, sometimes comical.

56 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Pujols is only part of the nucleus because they're stuck with him, not because he's a guy you want to build around going forward. The biggest strength this team had was their cheap and productive young pitching but that's taken a massive hit and is now a question mark moving forward. Richards and Heaney are likely headed for TJS that would knock them out for next season. You then have to hope they can return to full form after TJS, which, while success rate is better, it still isn't a given(just look at how long Skaggs is taking to return). Regarding Gia, he's an easy guy to root for, a tryhard type, but he just isn't a long-term piece on a contending team. He doesn't offer much at all

Pujols is the face of the franchise, just ask him.

I've attended only a couple games (opening week) when normally I would've been to at least a dozen by now.  I really haven'e watched much on TV either.  Maybe an inning here or there.  Though a lot of that has to do with being a Little League coach and both of my boys making All-Stars on different age group teams, so that schedule is insane.  (Side note: back in the day All-Stars got an additional practice vs. regular season, so they had 2 practices and 2 games per week.  Nowadays it is a 7 day a week affair!  Youngest boy's team has 4 practices and 3 scrimmages this week, oldest boy has 7 practices...but that is a different thread I guess.)

What's weird, is that I don't miss it.  Does that make me a bad fan?

I bet once the kids are eliminated, I'll get back into the dentist chair and watch the drilling that is the Angel's 2016 season.

I watch Cubs games. Funny though, because there were many years when I watched Angels games and went to the Cubs board for news on them. Now I watch cubs games and come here for news on the Angels.

That's baseball, if you live long enough..

1 minute ago, Homebrewer said:

I watch Cubs games. Funny though, because there were many years when I watched Angels games and went to the Cubs board for news on them. Now I watch cubs games and come here for news on the Angels.

That's baseball, if you live long enough..

I hope for you old Cubs fans they win one in your life time. 

I DVR every game.  I start to watch about 1.5 to 2 hrs after the game starts.  If they start to lose, I'll fast forward until either the Angels make a comeback (unlikely) or until the last out.  If they're getting blown out, I'll just delete the game and do something else. Lately, I haven't regretted deleting any games since the Angels haven't made any dramatic come from behind wins.

I have to agree with California Cajun, fifty years of watching and listening, you've seen it all. Heck, if I watched them in the early seventies with Orlando Ramirez at short (who?), Lou Clinton in right (who?), Jim Spencer at first, Paul Schaal at third, yada yada,--bad team. Maybe worse line-up than today, even without Trout.

Yeah, i still watch the games when I'm home, listening to our commentators is entertaining in itself if you're losing. Its a lifestyle. I'm a boring guy...

The first players I remember from 1966 are Fregosi, Reichardt, Knoop, Jose Cardenal, Bob Rodgers, Schaal, Chance, George Brunet, and Minnie Rojas.

There was also a just turned 18 year-old who had a brief cup of coffee early that season, who went on to become NL ROTY runnerup in 1971 (Phillies 1B Willie Montanez).

I first followed the team just over 50 years ago while still living in Charlotte, after they scored 12 runs in the 8th inning at Fenway in late April 1966.