• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looking Like We'll be Sellers at Trade Deadline

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Overpaying for Albert and paying for Hamilton did partly contribute to making our farm worse though. We lost the #19 pick in 2012 and the #22 pick in 2013.

Cards selected #19 - 2012 = Michael Wacha --- We know what Wacha has done for the Cards.

Rangers selected #22 - 2013 = 3b/2b/SS - Travis Demeritte ---- Hasn't done much for the Rangers in the Minors.... .238 - .340 - .802 --- 21 years old in High A - So far 3-1 K's to BB's

The only ways Arte wants to alter his roster is to either trade his top prospects for  past their prime veterans. or overpay for  older free agents.

But he has no prospects, so he will likely do nothing. He has no interest in becoming a seller, because he has no interest in trading for promising young prospects

In Arte's world, young prospects are for trading away, not obtaining.

Poor Arte. He would love to trade his top three prospects for an arm or a left fielder past their prime, but he depleted his farm so badly, that now he is stuck.

We fans deserve much more than this. Please sell the team Arte!

7 hours ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

The only ways Arte wants to alter his roster is to either trade his top prospects for  past their prime veterans. or overpay for  older free agents.

But he has no prospects, so he will likely do nothing. He has no interest in becoming a seller, because he has no interest in trading for promising young prospects

In Arte's world, young prospects are for trading away, not obtaining.

Poor Arte. He would love to trade his top three prospects for an arm or a left fielder past their prime, but he depleted his farm so badly, that now he is stuck.

We fans deserve much more than this. Please sell the team Arte!

So which top prospects have we traded for past their prime players?  I seriously can't think of one trade that would be described like that in the last several years.  Even the worst trade made (Wells) during Arte's tenure was all major leaguers.  The two trades that come the closest to this would be Clevinger for Pestano or Zach B for Thatcher.  What am I missing here?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2016 at 6:17 AM, Stradling said:

So which top prospects have we traded for past their prime players?  I seriously can't think of one trade that would be described like that in the last several years.  Even the worst trade made (Wells) during Arte's tenure was all major leaguers.  The two trades that come the closest to this would be Clevinger for Pestano or Zach B for Thatcher.  What am I missing here?  

I would sure like to have Trumbo, Gott, Chadwick and,Corbin,

And did the Angels really need to trade their top two pitching prospects, along with Aybar to get Simmons?

Opposing owners are no longer licking their chops to trade with the Angels since their farm is ranked 30 of 30.

45 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

I would sure like to have Trumbo, Gott, Chadwick and,Corbin,

And did the Angels really need to trade their top two pitching prospects, along with Aybar to get Simmons?

Opposing owners are no longer licking their chops to trade with the Angels since their farm is ranked 30 of 30.

Ok so Corbin four years ago.  I have never heard of Chadwick so I'll assume he's not great.  Trumbo got us two starters and he wasn't a prospect and Gott is currently in the minors while we got a .300 lead off hitter for him.  

On 6/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, California Cajun said:

The team is playing hard, and I think it would hurt morale if a key performer like Calhoun or Escobar is traded.  I don't want to change the culture that would be able to win next year for one prospect. 

That is definitely a danger. Morale probably isn't great to begin with, and a Marlins-type fire sale would douse whatever morale remains. Where we part company is the part about being "able to win next year". I can't think of anything short of a complete overhaul of the major league roster that would make this team a contender next year. The bullpen is horrible, the starting rotation is in tatters, and we have maybe three position players who would start for most of the teams in MLB. We're stuck with the Pujols contract for another five years, we have another year to pay Josh Hamilton not to play for us, and next year's free agent class sucks.

I loved Trumbo while he was here. Some seem to forget though that he seemed to be literally guessing what pitch was next with no recognition whatsoever. Pitchers caught on eventually. Does anyone remember him swinging at pitches over his head? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him back but we were kinda blah about him leaving especially with the haul we thought we were getting back. 

He's always been streaky, and until he can prove over a season that he isn't streaky then the jury is still out.  Another explanation is he has matured as a hitter due to experience.  Another explanation could be the ballparks in the American League East are Toronto, Fenway, Boston, Baltimore and Tampa, 4 of which would be considered hitter friendly.  

On June 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM, DMVol said:

We've had good signings.  Vlad was a good signing, the best FA signing in club history, probably one of the best since FA began in all of baseball. OCabrera was a good signing...Abreu was a good signing (for one year, the extension wasn't a good signing).  Signing KMorales out of Cuba was a good sigining....Joe Smith was a good signing. Way back, Langston was a good signing.

Hamilton was a terrible signing, one of the worst FA deals ever in baseball.  Pujols was bad because of the length.

Nobody gets them all right but if you miss on mega deals like Hamilton and Pujols, you're screwed.  You need to be smart.  If Arte pushed Pujols and Hamilton and didn't listen to the baseball people, that wasn't smart.

Are you saying that Arte ignored listening to his GM and advisers?

49 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Perhaps Trumbo was able to turn it around when he spent time with a coach who was hired to teach, rather than because he was a friend of the field manager.

Just a thought.

Talk to me when Trumbo plays well for a full year.  Also when he hits on a pitchers park like we have.   His so called breakout year is playing majority games in the launching pads of the AL EAST..

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Perhaps Trumbo was able to turn it around when he spent time with a coach who was hired to teach, rather than because he was a friend of the field manager.

Just a thought.

I guess it took him three teams and three years to find that coach.