• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looking Like We'll be Sellers at Trade Deadline

The rate our Halos going -- I think headed for an 87 to 88 game loss season -- we're bound to be sellers and not buyers at trade deadline time -- which is creeping up on us.

We could consider this a 're-building' year but I don't see much 'building' for the future going on and it looks like we're stuck on a treadmill of being a mediocre also ran for the foreseeable future (which in MLB is about three years these days).

Who's gone come deadline time?  Street, Smith, Shoemaker, Calhoun (gotta give up something to get pitching prospects), Can we even unload CJ Wilson (doubtful), Other than those listed we don't have much to give and Santiago -- once our rising value trade guy -- seems to be dropping in value with each start now........

I don't know folks -- my crystal ball sees a lot of empty seats in the hot Anaheim sun come July, August and September.

Trout -- the best player in MLB - albeit one without a supporting cast -- and Pujols' slow march to 600 HRs is about the only excitement going to be generated at the Big A this summer.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I hope for one of two things, either they make a miraculous comeback, which is highly unlikely or a ton of empty seats this summer.  I want Arte to see how we feel.  

The empty seats thing is a certainty (barring a miraculous comeback). We're on pace to finish 31 games behind first place so we could be mathematically eliminated in late August or very early September. That will be a lot of games with no meaning and a terrible team for good measure.

What an unbelievable turd sandwich this has been. We are essentially done for 2017 as well.  I'm getting more and more inclined to want them to trade Simmons and Calhoun for a quick reload so we have a shot in 2020. That's a huge risk but right now we've got nothing to make me think it's gonna get better in the next two years. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I hope for one of two things, either they make a miraculous comeback, which is highly unlikely or a ton of empty seats this summer.  I want Arte to see how we feel.  

Arte's yacht is in cruise control. You have to stop thinking that Arte is losing any sleep about how the fans feel. He was called out by the fans for being cheap. He went on to spend tons of money only to get burned by non-performing players. Winning a championship is too difficult, can't be bought and is no longer high on his priority list. He's owns the biggest commodity in baseball in Mike Trout and that's all he needs to get the casual fans to the stadium. Arte wins regardless of what happens on the field. I'm sure that Arte smiles everyday.

The team is playing hard, and I think it would hurt morale if a key performer like Calhoun or Escobar is traded.  I don't want to change the culture that would be able to win next year for one prospect. 

One thing I like about baseball is that one player doesn't have the impact that it does in other sports.  It is a team game and one loss doesn't carry the weight it does in football.

At least you support him @CALZONE.  He signed Albert and Hamilton as much to take market share from a Dodger team that was in the shitter with an unpopular owner as he did to win him a championship.  Putting out a sub .500 team is bad business, he knows that.  We will see what he does in 2018 when he has money and there is available talent.  2017 is a lousy free agent class so I hope he sits out.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

At least you support him @CALZONE.  He signed Albert and Hamilton as much to take market share from a Dodger team that was in the shitter with an unpopular owner as he did to win him a championship.  Putting out a sub .500 team is bad business, he knows that.  We will see what he does in 2018 when he has money and there is available talent.  2017 is a lousy free agent class so I hope he sits out.  

Strad this organization is at least five years away from a decent farm system and a solid frontline MLB squad. Arte will probably sell the team before he dishes out more millions to more always risky free agents. Additionally I think Arte lost interest and decided to keep his money in his pocket when he lost his real estate deal with Anaheim. To date no other city has offered the Angels a new home. Tustin was all BS.

right now -- perhaps the worst thing that could happen for the Halos is that they make some sort of short term run (I doubt this - the way they're playing right now) and become a first or second spot wild card contender and thereby putting the 'hold' button on making any key trades (primarily for minor league prospects and players to be named later -- also deals which may clear up some payroll space -- but I guess we can't do anything about Josh Hamilton's contract --- at least he's now playing -- I guess we're better off paying him to be on Texas' DL than ours - OUCH -- that whole signing stunk DAY ONE) -- and no getting rid of CJ Wilson or this contract either -- oh well. But if the Halos have some 'hope' come deadline time it may mean we don't trade Street for young pitching prospects or Smith to the Dodgers, perhaps, maybe that Urias pitcher (doubt it , but we could ask - throw in Calhoun -- really aside from the pen guys our top trade value guy).........

I agree what others wrote in response. Right now the next several years look bleak and we're really looking at a rebound in about 2019 or 2020......perhaps we can empty out the Philadelphia Phillies farm system of young arms and trade Trout there early -- before he signs with them when his contract is up.......Trout playing in Philly -- almost hometown stuff.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

At least you support him @CALZONE.  He signed Albert and Hamilton as much to take market share from a Dodger team that was in the shitter with an unpopular owner as he did to win him a championship.

I would go so far as to say that this was the only reason that he opened up the wallet. He's a marketing guy. In order to make inroads, he had to make headlines.

42 minutes ago, elixir said:

Eppler is going to have show that he has a pair at some time of his career. You going to have to take some risks. He can't just sit back penny pinching, bringing in scrubs and hope they look like MIke Trout. Take a gamble man, dammit!

I don't know what you expect him to do, if the guy who signs the checks says "no".

"when you're 12 games out in a 'weak division............"

good point -- reminds me of a few years back when we got swept in a four game series (at HOME) by the Houston Astros, which, at the time, were dubbed 'The LASTros' and had the worst record in baseball.  This was one of those back to back years when got off to terrible starts in April/ May and were trying to dig out of that early season hole all season -- the other AL West teams (well, Texas and Oakland, if I recall right, went something like 15-3 and 14-4 vs. Houston - we went 4-14 -- it literally was the difference in our not making the playoffs).......anyway, we lost 4 straight at HOME to Houston in late July or August -- the comment from that was:  We lost four straight to the worst team in baseball  -- the rejoinder comeback was:

"when you lose four straight games to the worst team in baseball, YOU are the WORST team in baseball.........."

So, yeah, we're 12 games back in a very weak division..........

one thing that could fill some seats in Anaheim will be Tim Lincecum's first start as a Halo -- should be coming up here pretty soon. If Halos are smart, they'll have that first start at home -- at least fill some seats while you still can.........

29 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

The Indians turned around their system pretty quickly. Maybe every guy we drafted turns out to be an All Star. Top 20 minor league system within 2 years. Top 5 within 5

They started by getting a new manager. A new voice with a new message. Like the Cubs. 

23 minutes ago, disarcina said:

"when you're 12 games out in a 'weak division............"

good point -- reminds me of a few years back when we got swept in a four game series (at HOME) by the Houston Astros, which, at the time, were dubbed 'The LASTros' and had the worst record in baseball.  This was one of those back to back years when got off to terrible starts in April/ May and were trying to dig out of that early season hole all season -- the other AL West teams (well, Texas and Oakland, if I recall right, went something like 15-3 and 14-4 vs. Houston - we went 4-14 -- it literally was the difference in our not making the playoffs).......anyway, we lost 4 straight at HOME to Houston in late July or August -- the comment from that was:  We lost four straight to the worst team in baseball  -- the rejoinder comeback was:

"when you lose four straight games to the worst team in baseball, YOU are the WORST team in baseball.........."

So, yeah, we're 12 games back in a very weak division..........

one thing that could fill some seats in Anaheim will be Tim Lincecum's first start as a Halo -- should be coming up here pretty soon. If Halos are smart, they'll have that first start at home -- at least fill some seats while you still can.........

Doesn't Texas have the best record in the AL?

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

They started by getting a new manager. A new voice with a new message. Like the Cubs. 

With the amount of turnover we've had with the roster the "new voice" argument doesn't make since.  The players that have been here long enough to need a new voice are either performing, in steep decline, injured or just suck. 

We've got 50 games till the deadline which means we've got 50 games before we need to make any major decisions.  There are a number of ways this can go

1.  We continue to lose at a our current pace even with improved health and the addition of Lincecum.  It would also mean that we are likely without Richards and Heaney for this year and the next.  If this were the case, you've really got to step back and ask yourself what you have for the rest of this year but the next as well.  

2.  You go 29-20 and get back to .500 which means that some things started to go right.  Things that give you hope for next year.  On top of it, maybe you've become the team that's 9 games above .500 instead of 9 games below.  Do you still sell at this point?  Hard to make that argument.  The second wild card was 4 games above .500 at the deadline last year and it was minnesota.  

3.  You find yourself somewhere in between.  My opinion is that if you aren't at least .500 by the ASB, it's time to sell off your impending free agents but you keep the rest for now.  

Not selling off your guys that are controlled for more than the rest of the year isn't a must.                                                                    

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

With the amount of turnover we've had with the roster the "new voice" argument doesn't make since.  The players that have been here long enough to need a new voice are either performing, in steep decline, injured or just suck. 

You only bag MS if you think that his influence on the direction of the franchise isn't working.  Because his skill as an actual manager is fine.  Good in fact.  Really good if he has the type of team that suits his strengths. It's his influence beyond that which some could call into question.  Frankly, we don't really know the extent of that so it's hard to speculate, but if the powers that be decided his influence in those areas wasn't something that helped the team then it would be time to move on.  If he were just a manager like Francona and Madden then he might actually be more valuable.  It's the other stuff that could lead to him being sacked.  Which I find ironic.  

3 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Except that the Cubs didn't start there -- that was the last thing they did.  What they did do was rebuild their farm system from the bottom up and traded away everything that was expensive.   But let's not let reality get in the way of the narrative..