• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How worried are we about Taylor Ward?

Oz27

I know most of us were never huge fans of this pick but there were at least a few encouraging signs during the second half of last year when he put up good numbers, especially at Orem but also at Burlington to an extent. This year it is hard not to be alarmed though. After 40 games and 153 ABs, he has a .572 OPS and a woeful .268 slugging percentage at A+ Inland Empire. At 22 he obviously isn't old, but it's hard not to be worried on face value. We clearly don't have much in the minors but much of what we do have isn't doing very well (Joe Gatto's numbers are plainly awful, for example).

There are many people here who follow our farm system much more closely than I do. Is there much reason for optimism that Ward will turn it around?

I like when someone with his own agenda says, I know most of us...

I really don't see 150 at bats in A ball being the life or death of a player. Ward is fine, he is just adjusting. Talked with him a few weeks ago and he knows it's between the left and right ears at this moment. At 22 there are a lot of factors messing with these kids heads. He has the talent to be good, he just needs to grind away at it for a while this year instead of it all coming so easy as it did in past seasons. A little failure can be the best way to respect the need to stay focused and learn the game instead of just suit up and play.

Edited by Blarg

Last year, when he was hitting well I said that the real test will be this year, when he has to see competition more in line with what he faced in college. Last year shouldn't have been much of a challenge for him, so it was good to see him hitting well but it didn't mean much. Now the question is, how well can he make adjustments to his game and improve.

Not worried at all.

Some believe that moving up one level in professional baseball is merely moving up just one level. However, every level of baseball is exponentially better than the last. It takes time to adjust to the talent and the speed of the game.

Go Halos!!!

6 minutes ago, 19HALO71 said:

Yes.

Go Halos!!!

While I'm not worried, I think we could have drafted him in the 2nd round, though I heard the Angels really wanted the best catcher in the draft so they didn't want to gamble losing him to another team. 

Most folks don't realize that a little failure is really sometimes the best for a prospect. Sometimes, when a prospect rockets through the minors without competition, they never grow, and then are forced to try to make adjustments in the majors which is freakin hard to do. Howie Kebdrick struggled with breaking balls away for practically 7-8 years in the majors because he was never challenged in the minors. Brandon Wood and Jeff Mathis are similar, just never put it together because they couldn't adjust to major league quality pitching. Even Mike Trout in his first go around hit something like .220, and that's because he never saw pitching like this before. But he was so young and so good that he grew into a great hitter.

Guys like Cowart and Ward, it's not a bad thing that they experience the lows while in the minors. It forces them to reach a new level they wouldn't have before, learn to make adjustments.

Ok guys here is the first round rundown of every player picked after Ward and what they are doing this season.

#27 Mike Nikorak 19 Pitcher 2015 Rookie League, 11.72 ERA has not played this season

#28 Mike Soroka 18 Pitcher A Ball 2.37 ERA

#29 John Harris 22 Pitcher A Ball 0.83 ERA

#30 Kyle Holder 22 2nd A Ball .305.342.381.723

#31 Chris Shaw 22 1st /DH A+ Ball .331.394.6131.007

#32 Ke'Bryan Hayes 22 3rd/DH A Ball .276.327.418.745

#33 Nolan Watson 19 Pitcher A Ball 8.80 ERA

#34 Christian Stewart 22 DH A+ Ball .245.373.566.939

#35 Kyle Funkhouser 22 Pitcher has not played

#36 Ryan Mountcastle 19 SS A Ball .264.345.376.721

#37 Daz Cameron 19 OF A Ball .143.221.221.442

#38 Tyler Nevin 18 3B 2015 Rookie Ball .265.368.386.754 Has not played this season

#39 Jake Woodford 19 Pitcher A Ball 2.20 ERA

#40 Nathan Kirby 22 Pitcher A Ball 2015 5.68 ERA has not played this season

#41 Austin Riley 19 3B A Ball .241.289.386.675

#42 Triston McKenzie 18 Rookie Ball 2015 0.75 ERA in 3 games has not played this season

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

Or it's just what actually happened. The draft thread last year when we picked him was overwhelmingly negative. Most people here (and the majority of draft watchers and prospect experts) weren't fans of the pick, or are you really far enough removed from reality to dispute that?

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Last year, when he was hitting well I said that the real test will be this year, when he has to see competition more in line with what he faced in college. Last year shouldn't have been much of a challenge for him, so it was good to see him hitting well but it didn't mean much. Now the question is, how well can he make adjustments to his game and improve.

Yeah, that's all true. Obviously he has more than enough time to turn it around and there's going to be excessive attention on him simply because he's the only first round pick we've made in a very long time still in the system, but it's obviously worrying to see him struggling like this.

I got a chance to interview him. Some things I remember without listening to the recording I have:

1. He compares himself to Jeff Mathis (simply because of looks and defense)

2. He prides himself more for throwing people out by a few feet than getting a hit (35% CS so far this year)

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

I really don't see 150 at bats in A ball being the life or death of a player. Ward is fine, he is just adjusting. Talked with him a few weeks ago and he knows it's between the left and right ears at this moment. At 22 there are a lot of factors messing with these kids heads. He has the talent to be good, he just needs to grind away at it for a while this year instead of it all coming so easy as it did in past seasons. A little failure can be the best way to respect the need to stay focused and learn the game instead of just suit up and play.

- Mike Scioscia

31 minutes ago, Lou said:

I gave up on him @ " he compares himself to Mathis"

way to reach for the stars, Taylor 

I'm already excited for the thousands of "Ward v *insert offensively-minded, defensively poor catcher here*" threads starting in 2020 or so.