• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official WWE Thread

nando714

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

So what existed before WWF? Started in the early 80s right?

yeah WWF is just the big boy. it started in 1980 and are the ones that took it into the stratosphere. the family started wrestling businesses all the way back to early 1950s though.

there was another big one back in the 80s/90s called WCW. WWF started pulling out their main guys and eventually bought the whole thing and rolled them together.

before them i think it was smaller stuff in the 50s-70s.

current company is huge $$.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I watched wrestling for a couple years in college. Everyone in MO watched wrestling. But we watched WCW. NWO, NWO Wolfpack, etc...

yeah i think in the late 90s, the WCW was the big one.

and thats when WWF switched from like fun, (relatively)-wholesome stuff with hulk hogan and macho man, and then went super violence / sex appeal / etc to go after teenagers and compete with WCW.

i stopped watching way before all that stuff showed up. i was over it by mid 90s. fun stuff though back in the day.

in the 60s and 70s, when we started watching, wrestling was a pretty regional thing. it exploded in the 80s to become a national thing, and the WWF and the others emerged as powerhouses.

we used to watch wrestling from the olympic auditorium in LA. to me, that place was huge. used to watch freddie blassie,john "the golden greek" tolos, bobo brazil, mil mascaras, and others there. even went to a few matches there with my dad, who was such a big fan he wrote a song for freddie blassie. he always thought it was on the up-and-up, too.

in the 60s and 70s, when we started watching, wrestling was a pretty regional thing. it exploded in the 80s to become a national thing, and the WWF and the others emerged as powerhouses.

we used to watch wrestling from the olympic auditorium in LA. to me, that place was huge. used to watch freddie blassie,john "the golden greek" tolos, bobo brazil, mil mascaras, and others there. even went to a few matches there with my dad, who was such a big fan he wrote a song for freddie blassie. he always thought it was on the up-and-up, too.

I remember those days.   The Blassie/Tolos feud, Victor Rivera shaving Tolos' head, Los Medicos De Mexico, Black Gordman and Great Goliath, Chavo Guerrero Sr., Al Madril, Bad News Allen Coage before he became Bad News Brown in the WWE, and others who became WWE legends later on like Roddy Piper, Greg Valentine, and Big John Studd

Dr. Demento even created a famous song for Blassie, called of course "Pencil Neck Geek".

On 1/30/2017 at 8:56 PM, Tank said:

My uncle told me of a time they had an event at the sports arena or the olympic auditorium. Said the best part was Roddy Piper came out and almost caused a riot by saying he was going to play the Mexican national anthem on bagpipe to please the fans, and proceeded to play La Cucaracha instead.

One of my buddies and i went to a show with his uncle at arco in like 91 or so.  We didnt know, but they were recording about a month of saturday morning shows.  Some of the guys wrestled three or four times.  Macho man got married to elizabeth.  Hogan vs evil iraq sympathizer sgt slaughter.  

Best part was watching on saturdays.  My buddy's uncle was die hard and got us front row.  So for a week i could see myself on tv sporting a purple hypercolor shirt.

12 hours ago, mrwicked said:

that sounds fun.

my wrestling highlight is seeing bret the hitman hart vs yozokuna in a steel cage match for the title in anaheim. must have been like 1993. i think it was before they went at it in wrestlemania.

cory how often do they do it at staples center? 

I was at that 1993 house show in Anaheim, with the steel cage match.   It was shortly before Summer Slam.  They had the Lex Lugar American tour thing going on leading up to Lugar/Yokozuna at Summer Slam.   

I had also gone to the first ever wrestling event at Arrowhead Pond (now Honda Center) back in June that year.  It was the 2nd event of any kind there, Sinatra concert was the first.  There were maybe 6 thousand in the house for the house show.   

15 hours ago, mrwicked said:

that sounds fun.

my wrestling highlight is seeing bret the hitman hart vs yozokuna in a steel cage match for the title in anaheim. must have been like 1993. i think it was before they went at it in wrestlemania.

cory how often do they do it at staples center? 

They're probably there 3-4 times a year. And maybe 2-3 times at Honda 

smack down at Honda 2/14 and raw at staples 2/20.

staples has been hosting more pay per view evens than Honda lately though. 

I went to the 99 rumble at honda and wrestlemania 2000 at Honda. One of the weakest WM though. 

Rumor is they're having Clash of Champions at Staples this year. 

I went to 4 straight Summer Slams at Staples from 2011-2014.  

Best match in that bunch was probably Orton/Christian in 2011 (no-DQ for the world title), with Orton RKO'ing Christian on the steel steps inside the ring as Christian jumped from the turnbuckle.   The Bryan/Cena match for the WWE title in 2013 was good too, and was where HHH turned Authority heel by pedigreeing Bryan and allowing Orton to cash in MITB.    Seeing Nash attack Punk after his 2011 WWE title defense with Cena, leading to DelRio cashing in MITB, was the other MITB cash in that I saw.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I went to 4 straight Summer Slams at Staples from 2011-2014.  

Best match in that bunch was probably Orton/Christian in 2011 (no-DQ for the world title), with Orton RKO'ing Christian on the steel steps inside the ring as Christian jumped from the turnbuckle.   The Bryan/Cena match for the WWE title in 2013 was good too, and was where HHH turned Authority heel by pedigreeing Bryan and allowing Orton to cash in MITB.    Seeing Nash attack Punk after his 2011 WWE title defense with Cena, leading to DelRio cashing in MITB, was the other MITB cash in that I saw.

I was at the 2011 one too and the HHH vs Brock Lesnar one. Was it 2013?