• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels out on big LF FA

Yea, that is pretty bad, I can't really spin it. However it really is no different than all those at bats we had last year from Joyce, Cowart, Kubitza, Gio, Iannetta, Aybar (he was the same last year as Simmons) DeJesus, Murphy, Butera, Victorino, That K dude that hit three homers for the mets, Ryan Jackson, and Featherston.

Our bench is better, sadly our bench will be starting in left field.

Yeah we had a similar issue last year and look at how bad we were offensively. I keep seeing people say we are a better team now but I really don't agree. Simmons is better than Aybar, I expect Escobar to be a bit of a downgrade than what we got from Freese last year, a Nava/Gentry platoon is significantly worse than Murphy/Cowgill, our bullpen is weaker and we have some prime regression candidates (Giavotella, Pujols, Perez, Smith and Santiago to name just the first few to pop into my head). It's been quite awhile since I've been as down about our prospects as I am now.

Oz, I don't completely agree, but to be honest I am so pissed about this that I don't really have the desire to debate it too much. I will say this, as far as line up construction, I prefer Escobar and Nava to Murphy and Freese. I think both of those guys can bat at the top of the line up and get on base at a higher clip than the guys we had last year. So if they regress and still get on at a .330-.350 clip that is light years better than Aybar, Gio, and last year's version of Calhoun. Then you have Trout, who we all know will be great, Albert who with any luck will be about the same as last year. Calhoun in a spot to drive in runs, and Cron to do the same. Then after that it looks pretty bleak, until you get to Gio at the 9 hole who for a 9 hole hitter should be a bit of a spark plug. I am not confident, but I do like guys that get on base at a better that .330 clip at the top of the line up and I think we have at least one or two that can do that right now.

A "regression candidate" is simply a wild ass guess so there's nothing there. Simmons is better and the catchers are better. Why aren't Perez and Gia "progression candidates since no one knows yet? I'm every bit as pissed about LF as anyone, but it hasn't changed and the C and SS positions are better. 3rd and 2nd are probably the same. The coaching will also be better with changes at 1st and 3rd among others.

A "regression candidate" is simply a wild ass guess so there's nothing there. Simmons is better and the catchers are better. Why aren't Perez and Gia "progression candidates since no one knows yet? I'm every bit as pissed about LF as anyone, but it hasn't changed and the C and SS positions are better. 3rd and 2nd are probably the same. The coaching will also be better with changes at 1st and 3rd among others.

Uh, no. Judging whether somebody is likely to regress can be done pretty scientifically, through projection systems and comparisons to career norms. For various reasons, each of those guys I mentioned are in danger of regressing.

As for the rest of your post, I'll just be equally condescending and say it's a "wild ass guess" and there's nothing there.

If they are looking more towards 2017-2018....they should start shopping Richards. Similar profile to Shelby Miller(K rate, BB rate similar). By the time 2018 rolls around he'll be pushing 30 yrs old and will be headed for FA. Look at what the Braves just got for Shelby Miller. Halos could really jumpstart replenishing the farm by trading Richards

So what exactly is this team's direction? We're not building for the future since we gutted what little existed in the farm system for Simmons, and we're not building for the present since we seemingly have no intention of going all-in after the Simmons trade gutted the farm. Looks like a mediocre team with an ever-bloated salary spinning its wheels and making incremental/lateral moves to no clear end. 

If they are looking more towards 2017-2018....they should start shopping Richards. Similar profile to Shelby Miller(K rate, BB rate similar). By the time 2018 rolls around he'll be pushing 30 yrs old and will be headed for FA. Look at what the Braves just got for Shelby Miller. Halos could really jumpstart replenishing the farm by trading Richards

I'm thinking only reason it hasn't happened is rotation would be too lefty heavy. And they can probably get as big a haul from him at deadline or next offseason. Especially if he has a good year.

So what exactly is this team's direction? We're not building for the future since we gutted what little existed in the farm system for Simmons, and we're not building for the present since we seemingly have no intention of going all-in after the Simmons trade gutted the farm. Looks like a mediocre team with an ever-bloated salary spinning its wheels and making incremental/lateral moves to no clear end.

Most of us feel this way. It started off good with a new GM bringing guys like Black back and then trading for the best defensive SS in the game which looked like it set up a big FA signing or 2 but now this. It's puzzling for sure.

Since 2016 isn't any sort of contending year not sure why it would matter if the rotation is too lefty heavy. Waiting until the trade deadline is a nice idea though. Of course, I don't think the Angels management is any good so I don't trust them to do anything smart

Edited by bloodbrother

If Arte Moreno had every intention to avoid the luxury tax, perhaps he should've stayed away from Pujols and Hamilton.  

Maybe he's changed his tune because he is butt hurt about Hamilton. 

Maybe he doesn't care about winning because he has a $2.5 billion local tv deal. $100-150 million per year. 25% equity stake.

Maybe he doesn't care about winning because he gets another $50 million per year from the national mlb deals.  

Maybe he doesn't care about winning because he gets another chunk of change ($8-10 million) from MLB Advanced Media

Maybe he doesn't care about winning because he can sell the team for more than $1 billion.  

Economics?  **** you, Arte. 

Oh, and FYI.  Next years free agent crop.  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2016-17-mlb-free-agents.html 

It's slim pickings. 

Catchers

Alex Avila (30)
Drew Butera (34)
Jason Castro (30)
Francisco Cervelli (31)
A.J. Ellis (36)
Ryan Hanigan (36) — $3.75MM club option with an $800K buyout
Nick Hundley (33)
Chris Iannetta (34) — 2017 option
Jonathan Lucroy (31) — $5.25MM club option with a $25K buyout
Dioner Navarro (33)
Salvador Perez (27) — $3.75MM club option (no buyout)
A.J. Pierzynski (40)
Wilson Ramos (29)
David Ross (40)
Carlos Ruiz (38) — $4.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (32)
Geovany Soto (34)
Chris Stewart (35)
Kurt Suzuki (33) — $6MM vesting option
Josh Thole (30)
Matt Wieters (31)

First Basemen

Edwin Encarnacion (34)
Ryan Howard (37) — $23MM club option with a $10MM buyout
Garrett Jones (36)
Adam LaRoche (37)
Adam Lind (33)
James Loney (33)
Mitch Moreland (31)
Logan Morrison (29)
Mike Morse (35)
Brandon Moss (33)
Mike Napoli (35)
Daniel Nava (34)
Sean Rodriguez (32)
Carlos Santana (31) — $12MM club option with a $1.2MM buyout
Justin Smoak (30)
Mark Teixeira (37)
Mark Trumbo (31)

Second Basemen

Emilio Bonifacio (32)
Daniel Descalso (30)
Yunel Escobar (34) — $7MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Aaron Hill (35)
Martin Prado (33)
Sean Rodriguez (32)
Justin Turner (32)
Chase Utley (38)
Luis Valbuena (31)
Neil Walker (31)

Third Basemen

Adrian Beltre (38)
Daniel Descalso (30)
Will Middlebrooks (28)
Martin Prado (33)
Justin Turner (32)
Luis Valbuena (31)

Shortstops

Erick Aybar (33)
Daniel Descalso (30)
Alcides Escobar (30)  – $6.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Yunel Escobar (34) — $7MM club  option with a $1MM buyout

Left Fielders

Gregor Blanco (33)
Chris Coghlan (32)
Rajai Davis (35)
Sam Fuld (35)
Franklin Gutierrez (34)
Matt Holliday (37) — $17MM club/vesting option with $1MM buyout
Daniel Nava (34)
Sean Rodriguez (32)
Colby Rasmus (30)
Michael Saunders (30)
Ichiro Suzuki (43) – $2MM club option

Center Fielders

Gregor Blanco (33)
Peter Bourjos (30)
Michael Bourn (34) — $12MM vesting option
Coco Crisp (37) — $13MM vesting/club option with a $750K buyout
Rajai Davis (35)
Sam Fuld (35)
Craig Gentry (33)
Carlos Gomez (31)
Jon Jay (32)
Cameron Maybin (30) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Angel Pagan (35)
Colby Rasmus (30)

Right Fielders

Jose Bautista (36)
Carlos Beltran (39)
Jay Bruce (30) — $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Brandon Moss (33)
Franklin Gutierrez (34)
Daniel Nava (34)
Colby Rasmus (30)
Josh Reddick (30)
Michael Saunders (30)
Seth Smith (34) — $7MM club option with a $250K buyout
Ichiro Suzuki (43) – $2MM club option
Nick Swisher (36) — $14MM vesting option

Designated Hitters

Carlos Beltran (39)
Edwin Encarnacion (34)
Ryan Howard (37) — $23MM club option with a $10MM buyout
Adam LaRoche (37)
Adam Lind (33)
Kendrys Morales (34) — $11MM mutual option with a $1.5MM buyout
Mike Morse (35)
Brandon Moss (33)
David Ortiz (41) – club/vesting option with $10MM+
Carlos Santana (31) — $12MM club option with a $1.2MM buyout
Nick Swisher (36) — $14MM vesting option
Mark Teixeira (37)

Starting Pitchers

Brett Anderson (29)
Clay Buchholz (32)
Andrew Cashner (30)
Jhoulys Chacin (29)
Jesse Chavez (33)
Josh Collmenter (31) — $2.25MM mutual option with a $150K buyout
Bartolo Colon (43)
John Danks (32)
Jorge De La Rosa (36)
R.A. Dickey (42)
Scott Feldman (34)
Gio Gonzalez (31) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jason Hammel (34) — $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jeremy Hellickson (30)
Rich Hill (37)
Derek Holland (30) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Kris Medlen (31) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Matt Moore (28) — $7MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
Charlie Morton (33) — $9.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Jon Niese (30) — $10MM club option with a $500K buyout
Ivan Nova (30)
Jake Peavy (36)
Yusmeiro Petit (32) — $3MM club option with a $500K buyout (vests with 80 innings pitched)
CC Sabathia (36) — $25MM vesting option with a $5MM buyout
James Shields (35) — Can opt out of remaining two years, $44MM on current contract
Stephen Strasburg (28)
Josh Tomlin (32)
Edinson Volquez (33) — $10MM mutual option with a $3MM buyout
Jered Weaver (34)
C.J. Wilson (36)
Travis Wood (30)

Right-Handed Relievers

Joaquin Benoit (39)
Santiago Casilla (36)
Joba Chamberlain (31)
Josh Collmenter (31) — $2.25MM mutual option with $150K buyout
Wade Davis (31) – $10MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
Jason Grilli (40) — $3MM club option with a $250K buyout
David Hernandez (32)
Luke Hochevar (33) — $7MM mutual option with a $500K buyout
Daniel Hudson (30)
Kenley Jansen (29)
Kevin Jepsen (32)
Sam LeCure (33)
Mark Melancon (32)
Juan Nicasio (30)
Pat Neshek (36) — $6.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jonathan Papelbon (36)
Sergio Romo (34)
Fernando Salas (32)
Joe Smith (33)
Drew Storen (29)
Junichi Tazawa (31)
Koji Uehara (42)
Jordan Walden (29) — $5.25MM club option with a $250K buyout
Brad Ziegler (37)

Left-Handed Relievers (Italics denote active closers)

Brett Cecil (30)
Aroldis Chapman (29)
Mike Dunn (32)
Boone Logan (32)
Javier Lopez (39)
Brian Matusz (30)
Marc Rzepczynski (31)

I seriously have a hard time believing this. It could obviously be true, maybe even likely, but i see there being almost zero chance that sosh down to the batboy are going to let this sit. Pujols is going to be in his ear, trout is to his point where he can make his thoughts known upstairs, and weaver is going to go apeshit knowing its likely his last season.

Who knows, maybe hes being serious and this is all real. If so im with everyone else, content to read box scores on my phone but wont be wasting much time going to games or anything. One thing is for sure though, if this is in fact real, the clubhouse is going to collapse. Might be the thing that actually gets sosh to opt out. And so begins the seeds of the trout/richards residence feeling burned at their numbers and future earnings, and becoming more likely to be in a different jersey in a few years.

Dunno...just cant see arte being that inept about whats coming. Then again....

Why don't we shoot for:

1b: Trumbo/Napoli platoon

2b: Sean Rodriguez

SS: Erick Aybar

3B: Yunel Escobar

LF: Colby Rasmus

CF: Peter Bourjos

RF: Daniel Nava

SP: Bartolo Colon

Rich Hill

Jered Weaver

CJ Wilson

RP: Jason Grilli

Mark Melancon

Joe Smith

Fernando Salas

Jordan Walden

DH Kendrys Morales

Look good to everyone? Get some fresh faces into the clubhouse.

Man, this is very disappointing indeed...

EDIT: I'm hoping for Arte to change his mind. It seems like he's been back and forth a long with Eppler. I think that Dochalo may be seriously onto something with his theory on the asking prices being too high. Otherwise, there is no reason for Arte to come out and say this publicly, specially when it could upset/demotivate some of the players of the club. 

Edited by marcosantinia12

I figured I would wait until the furor went down before I posted in this thread.

With that, screw you Arte!  1.  Don't say that in public, it pisses the fans off and shows you to be a tightwad.  2.  You keep getting in the way of your GM's and that is just stupid since you don't know baseball.  3.  You have made the GM's moves, the one you just hired, look foolish in the light of not having a strong LF.

So just shut up, just stop.