• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Prime Time for Angels to Acquire Longoria

ABC

If all Longoria costs is Santiago, Cron and and Kubitza or Cowart, I would do it.

The Rays would jump on that because it is a salary dump and you just handed them three MLB players as a gross over pay.

And let's quit with valuing Santiago as a third rate middle reliever. A left hander that has an ERA in the mid 3 range is a big trading chip. You have the bitter fan glasses on if you can't see that, thankfully Eppler isn't.

Perhaps, but we have no significant tradeable assets and are unwilling to hit luxury tax, how do you propose we get any of them under those circumstances? 

I hope I'm proven wrong i truly do cause if I'm right then the next couple of seasons are going to be very bleak as well, but i don't see it.

Arte stated the lux tax limit can be busted for the right player/s. As for trading, the Angels have pieces, not many, but to say "no sig assets" is silly. lol at next seasons being bleak. The Angels are willing to spend and they have some talent on the team. It could be far worse. 

The Rays would jump on that because it is a salary dump and you just handed them three MLB players as a gross over pay.

And let's quit with valuing Santiago as a third rate middle reliever. A left hander that has an ERA in the mid 3 range is a big trading chip. You have the bitter fan glasses on if you can't see that, thankfully Eppler isn't.

Any GM would be able to see the difference between first half Santiago and second half Santiago, and bargain accordingly. I'm not saying he isn't valuable, just that his value is questionable.

I'm not undervaluing Santiago and I agree with you. Just because he had a poor second half doesn't put him into the conversation of being a young cost controlled solid lefty that most teams would want in their rotation. 

What do yo think, two years $20 million?

On the open market he'll get at least a 3 year contract possibly 4 years, so I'm thinking 3/30 or even 4/40 especially considering he is the only decent 3B out there.

Edited by ettin

Flop name an expensive player moved at the deadline that was a salary dump and didn't cost good young players. Even Tulo who was EXPENSIVE cost good prospects. Writing big checks is much easier if you don't have to give up your very limited resources to acquire that player.

Two players....  Both 29, both RHBs, both played in parks with HR indexes of 84...

Longoria - .264/.331/.448  - OPS+ 117, 12.8 WAR

N Walker - .264/.336/.438  - OPS+ 115,  9.7 WAR

Longo is due 100 mil and signed through his age 36 season.   Walker has two years of control, made 8 mil last year and is likely due to get 10 mil in arbitration....  There is talk he might get non-tendered....  There is little question that Longo has the better resume and there are no concerns regarding his ability to play in the AL, or ability to play 3B so he is the safer bet... But is he really worth what he is owed when compared to Walker?

So who makes more sense for a team looking to fill multiple holes with limited dollars?   At some point people will stop chasing brand names and start looking for value right?  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Two players....  Both 29, both RHBs, both played in parks with HR indexes of 84...

Longoria - .264/.331/.448  - OPS+ 117, 12.8 WAR

N Walker - .264/.336/.438  - OPS+ 115,  9.7 WAR

Longo is due 100 mil and signed through his age 36 season.   Walker has two years of control, made 8 mil last year and is likely due to get 10 mil in arbitration....  There is talk he might get non-tendered....  There is little question that Longo has the better resume and there are no concerns regarding his ability to play in the AL, or ability to play 3B so he is the safer bet... But is he really worth what he is owed when compared to Walker?

So who makes more sense for a team looking to fill multiple holes with limited dollars?   At some point people will stop chasing brand names and start looking for value right?  

If Walker is actually non-tendered (which would actually shock me), I'm all about bringing him on board.

Flop name an expensive player moved at the deadline that was a salary dump and didn't cost good young players. Even Tulo who was EXPENSIVE cost good prospects. Writing big checks is much easier if you don't have to give up your very limited resources to acquire that player.

i didnt think the cost for Cespedes was excessive or what people here thought it would have cost us but im sure youll disagree. 

So Freese produced 2.2 WAR last year. He's at an age where he should be declining so if you tack on the generally accepted -0.5 WAR per year you'd expect, over a 3 year contract, 1.7 WAR, 1.2 WAR and .7 WAR (and it isn't exactly that just a basic simple projection).

If you assume the price of 1 WAR on the free agent market is $7MM this year and increases by 10% (which it has over the last 5 years) each year you have $7MM/WAR in 2016, $7.7/WAR in 2017, and $8.47MM/WAR in 2018.

Taking the simple projection above it would be = ($7MM/WAR x 1.7 WAR)+($7.7MM/WAR x 1.2 WAR)+($8.47MM x .7 WAR) = $27MM.

For the Angels they love his clubhouse leadership and presence so that is worth a little extra for sure so that's why I'm suggesting 3 years/$30MM or even upwards of 4 years/$40MM.

If you use a more aggressive WAR projection then it could move up to 4/50. Less aggressive 3/24.

I'll be surprised if it is to far outside those suggested numbers.

Edited by ettin

after what happened at the deadline, yes... i hope im wrong but ill be skeptical till i see it

to be fair, the deadline im sure was more about us having little to trade. A lot of rhe good teams right now like the stros, KC, cubs, etc etc have far better farms because they used to suck, and they have affordable payrolls.

If we are willing to spend, it helps us against teams stacked with tradeable talent. The problem is we can offer all the money in the world but its no guarantee. And theres also no guarantee what we need is available in FA.

Im still hoping for upton

The neil walker idea is a very good one. Didnt think hed be available. If we somehow were able to get him, and pull off the prado trade weve all made up in our heads as makes too much sense (so it wont happen), were in a lot better shape.

Do that, and get cespedes you are a different team. Do that and add span/parra, youre still very much improved from last season