• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols showed me a lot this year

I am NOOOOO way a Pujols homer.

I hated the deal from day 1.

From day 1 he has been a major disappointment except for a few small stretches.

6 more years sounds disastrous. 

He gained my respect this year. Watching him hobble around and still hit 40 hr was pretty cool. 

I will never question his heart. 

Despite being massively overpaid, Pujols should be a solid DH for us for the next several years. 

Pujols seemed to chase 40 for the past few of months. Pulling anything he can because he knows oppo-taco HRs don't come easy any longer. The were many times where he seemed selfish when all that was needed was to hit the ball the other way. 

I can't see him lasting the entirety of his contract, I think his lower half will completely give out. I did enjoy him gutting it out though, he could have easily sat out and collected his pay checks but he wanted to be in there. Hopefully Cron can progress enough to be the every day 1B or we can get a 1B and have Pujols primarily DH.

No

Great point. Get your own personality and stop trying to mimic others.

In any case, I'm not the only who was frustrated with him insisting to pull the ball even when the smart thing to do was to just go the other way. Unfortunately, going the other way meant almost no chance at a HR.

i just don't know. i'm very torn about him. i'm looking at pujols and sometimes i'm thinking grit and other times i'm thinking selfish. it's hard for me to decide when i read some of his quotes, they just rub me the wrong way.

He's definitely a gamer and playing through some painful injuries but I think he has his own agenda at the plate and on the base paths. Ichiro was described similarly by chasing base hits.

I thought the Pujols signing was a good move for the franchise at the time knowing that the last 4-5 years of his deal would be a disaster.  Turns out, he has been a disaster from day 1.  

Personally, I feel like his ego has once again kept him from hitting like the declining inner circle hall of famer he could be.  

Do you know how much more valuable he'd be if he hit 25hrs and 50 double with a .280 avg and 70bb instead of 50? 

His stubbornness has left us with a guy that somehow hits 40hrs and puts up a 1.9 WAR season.  David Freese had a 2.4 WAR season.  

Personally, I don't think he's chasing some random number of hrs.  I think it's more visceral than that with him.  In his mind, he's a hr hitter and the only way he can still be a hr hitter is to pull the ball and swing as often as possible.  

His BABIP this year was .218.  Some would call that bad luck if they didn't see him play, but what I saw was a guy trying to pull outside pitch after outside pitch for weak grounders to 3b.  Pitches he would normally smoke to right center gap or just lay off.  

What he showed me this year was more misdirection and slight of hand.  He hit .244 with a .307 obp.  I thought we trade Mark Trumbo.    

As much as it's a massive defensive downgrade putting Cron at 1B over Pujols, I'd want to limit Pujols il 60-70 stars at 1B next year and even that might be pushing it.

I agree but a couple of things.  Pujols is a very stubborn and proud guy and Scioscia isn't very likely to butt heads with him if it can be avoided....He wants to play 1b, doesn't like to DH unless he has to physically.....And that's not a good thing....Cron showed some improvement at 1b but only when he played everyday when Pujols was hurt late in the year....Cron really needs those 100 games at 1b to improve his defense....If Pujols will just buy into the plan, it is a pretty good situation....Keeps both of them in the lineup every day....

Edited by DMVol